The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet training gone backwards

Bobbi123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have. 6 month old golden retriever. We got her at 10 weeks and started toilet training straight away. I read to never tell her off when she had an accident and praise her when ahe went outside, we also used to take her out every 30 minutes and build it up. She is crate trained too and never ever had an accident while in there. Even at night she's been able to wait till morning (we did use to get up with her but we found that upset her when she went back in)

She has been amazing, we haven't had an accident in 2-3 months and she can hold up for hours now (we do let her out but she just stands in the garden and lets the wind blow through her ears). However we tried letting her out at night and the first few nights were perfectly fine, no accidents. But I think she ate something in the garden that upset her stomach, so she had a nasty accident in the night. We stuck to what we knew and never scolded her and just let her out and praised her when she went outside. But she had another accident he next night. We then decided to put her in her crate cause she never had an accident in there. But we've woken up and she's had an accident in there. She is still completely fine during the day, she goes to the door when she needs the toilet and we let her out, it only seems to be at night. We've decided to go back to our original training of praising her when she goes outside and ignore any accidents. But was wondering if anyone had any other advice?

You are doing all the right things.

The upset tummy is probably at the bottom (sorry) of your current problems. Her guts may still be a little sensitive and so hurt her if she has to hold on until morning.

I would try crating her and getting up half way through the night to let her out. Make no fuss about it. In fact be very boring - out - toilet - praise - back to bed. You might have to hover, ignoring her, for a few minutes until she settles.

Make sure she fully understands the reward system for going outside. Some dogs just bumble in to toilet training and never fully understand that the reward is for actually toileting outside. Timing is everything. She should receive a high value treat immediately she toilets. Do not wait for her to approach you for it. You need to have it ready and give it to her as she finishes toileting. If she is not too excitable give her praise as she squats to toilet. An excitable dog may stop before they are finished.

The vital part of toilet training is success. Do whatever it takes to ensure she can get outside to toilet and be rewarded for doing it. I know it seems that getting up is a backward step but it should only be a temporary thing. Awful for a while but worth it in the long term :)

We have been doing that, big praise when she goes to the toilet outside and ignore the accidents. But she seems a little confused as to why we're now giving her big praise when she goes outside because she always does it happily during the day. And even I am a little confused as to why she is only having accidents at night, she can hold her bladder all night except she poos and during the day she goes to the door and waits to be let out. Its very strange...

Thank you for your advice :)

Is her bowel over loaded or irritated?

Don't worry about her looking puzzled. Just keep up the fantastic treat regime. You want her to think, in the middle of the night, "I will hold on to this poo until I can go in the garden and get a treat for doing it there".

Check the food you are feeding on the website "All About Dog Food". Some foods are full of filler and can over load the bowel.

An irritable bowel might need a vet check. In fact a vet check is always a good idea, particularly as she has had a problem recently.

Has anyone ever got a bit cross with her on finding a poo in the house? Some dogs will pick up on even a "sigh". This leads them to avoid doing a poo when humans are around and wait until they have gone to bed, or gone out, so that the dog can feel safe to poo.

Another thought - Is she worried about the garden at night? Has she had a fright/become worried about the dark nights? Squatting to do a poo is a vulnerable position for a dog and they may not want to do it if they feel unsafe. This might mean she is not emptying her bowel before bedtime. A short walk might help her here?

She's back to normal again.. holding it at night and going to the door when she needs it. It was a very strange few nights. We are still praising her when she goes outside though, just in case. I think she just ate something funny and it didn't agree with her stomach. But we are looking into changing her diet gradually, just researching the best food for her before we change anything.

TBH I think she is scared of the garden at night, cause sometimes she can be hesitant so we always go out with her with a torch. Just so she knows it's ok and that seems to be ok with her.

Thank you for your advice, it's nice to know some people are helpful ☺️

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back