The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet Training - Help Needed!

ChristyandTod

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Help me please! I am a new Whippet owner, Tod is 15 weeks old and a stunner but I am having such trouble toilet training him.

I take him outside regularly, praise him when he gets it right and watch him all the time for signs that he needs to go. I think he knows he's supposed to go outside to relieve himself but inside just still seems to be the warmer and lazier option!

Has anyone got any tips? He has been with us for nearly 4 weeks now, should he be toilet trained by now or am I expecting a bit much of him? :wacko:

All advice gratefully received!

Christy and Tod x

i have found that each of the dogs i have are different - some pick it up quickly and some are slower to catch on :)

keep praising the good and and personally i never tell off if an accident happens - i just clear it away without making a fuss and pop puppers outside and give lots more praise - not sure if this is the right way but it seems to work for us.

it also helps to not have any carpets (w00t) :thumbsup:

good luck with puppers x

Give him time, it can take a pup untill he is 6 months old before he is fully housetrained. :thumbsup:

Also make sure you are cleaning up any accidents well so he is not returning to the same spot because his scent is there. You may not be able to smell it but the dog can. The best thing to use is a mix of hot water, non biological washing powder and a little vinegar. In my experience pups tend to reoffend when bleach products are used because it contains ammonia. Good luck with him :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
And the cold weather doesn't help, does it! Having seemingly got the idea pretty well, Rita a week later deciding the carpet is better.... :( Take her to the garden and she is keen as anything to go back inside. And then immediately does a steamer...

Good luck and keep up the good work.

I've had my 13 week old puppy for four days, he always needs persauding to go outside, whatever the weather!

I think I've been lucky, we've only had one accident indoors during the daytime, he is certainly learning I think.

I've got a couple of questions on house training if anyone can help

1. I'm concerned that my pup will only go to loo when I'm with him, he simply sits at the door crying if I come in before him. Should I worry about that yet?

2. The night time is getting better , just wee the last two nights, when and how can I best get him clean at night?

Thanks everyone in anticipation of your great davice speaking from experience

My male whippet wasn't house trained until he was 7 months ( sorry ! ). I crate trained my 2nd one. Definitely use non-biological washing liquid or powder to mask the smell.

Good luck :oops:

angelabolitho said:
Good luck and keep up the good work.I've had my 13 week old puppy for four days, he always needs persauding to go outside, whatever the weather!

I think I've been lucky, we've only had one accident indoors during the daytime, he is certainly learning I think.

I've got a couple of questions on house training if anyone can help

1. I'm concerned that my pup will only go to loo when I'm with him, he simply sits at the door crying if I come in before him.  Should I worry about that yet?

2. The night time is getting better , just wee the last two nights, when and how can I best get him clean at night?

Thanks everyone in anticipation of your great davice speaking from experience

I wouldnt be concerned that your pup will only go when your with him, continue to go out with him every time and give him plenty of praise when he goes. As he gets older and more confident he wont need your reassurance as much, when the summer comes im sure you will find he is happy to go out by himself :))

I am interested to read people get up at night for their pups to go a wee, i never did with Tilly (she was three months when we got her) or Bean (8weeks) or Scrumpy (8weeks) is this something we should have done?

They were all crated at night, well not Tilly to start cause we didnt know about it all then, but they didnt seem to wet their bed.

They all trained ok, scrumpy had some accidents inside (lounge carpet), but not loads

Thanks for your experience

I've been using a crate during day if I pop out and my Charlie seems to love it.

I'll give it a go at night then, would you think 9 hours ok straight through?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back