The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet training problems 5 month old bichon frise

wirralmum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all

As per title, I am having problems toilet training my 5 month old Bichon Frise. We've had her since 8 weeks old and began training straight away.

We are in an upstairs flat so the plan was/is for her to do her business on a puppy mat in the bathroom (which is large). We take her to the bathroom regularly and probably 50% of the time she does go to the toilet on the mat, which is good. The problem is that she is still using the rest of the flat as her toilet - she doesn't even have a 'preferred' spot, she will just go anywhere and everywhere. We've tried shouting her when we catch her mid-action, and we quickly move her to where she should be doing it, but she doesn't seem to be learning. Ideally, I would want her to let us know - by whining at the door or whatever - when she needs to go. Is this asking too much? Or do I just have to be patient? Will it come eventually?

As you can probably tell I'm a first-time dog owner so any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Bichons can take a while to toilet train but you will get there in the end.

I presume she goes out for regular walks in the park where she can meet and watch other dogs doing their business there?

With my puppy I kept her in one place at first until almost toilet trained, ie the kitchen where if she did have an accident we could mop it up easily. I would advise crating her for short periods and then take her to the mat or outside. She will not mess in the crate as its her place to rest, put a cover or towel over the crate to make her den feel more secure. This way she will learn to control her motions more and not go just anywhere. I have a stair gate on my stairs to stop her going upstairs but you could put on say your bedroom or living room door so she is kept away from nice furnishings. This also helps with chewing problems too. Don't despair though, with perseverance, you will get there in the end! There are lots of pet products and advice available on a great website called Petscompanion.co.uk, make sure your dog has plenty of chew toys to keep her entertained and take her out for lots of short walks in the beginning as dogs prefer to mess away from the house as they get older.

Best of luck, don't give up, and you'll have a loving and faithful pet.

Anna

Hi all

As per title, I am having problems toilet training my 5 month old Bichon Frise. We've had her since 8 weeks old and began training straight away.

We are in an upstairs flat so the plan was/is for her to do her business on a puppy mat in the bathroom (which is large). We take her to the bathroom regularly and probably 50% of the time she does go to the toilet on the mat, which is good. The problem is that she is still using the rest of the flat as her toilet - she doesn't even have a 'preferred' spot, she will just go anywhere and everywhere. We've tried shouting her when we catch her mid-action, and we quickly move her to where she should be doing it, but she doesn't seem to be learning. Ideally, I would want her to let us know - by whining at the door or whatever - when she needs to go. Is this asking too much? Or do I just have to be patient? Will it come eventually?

As you can probably tell I'm a first-time dog owner so any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back