The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Top Temperature?

urchin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ay up folks - i'm doing some research as i'm looking to buy a motorhome next autumn.

So far what i've found out from chatting to other owners is;

1)I need to do a lot of research! Apart from a steering wheel there's no such thing as a standard feature - so i need to make a list of what my 'absolute essentials' are

2) If you're buying 2nd hand, buy in the autumn as they're much cheaper!

3) It's a van conversion i'm interested in

So, i'm making my list (and checkin it twice - but doubt I'll find one in me stocking come christmas!)

And my important thing is that i need to be able to leave Dij in it during the day.

Apart from hols, the other thing i want it for is for when i'm working away from home. Currently i stay in hotels and friends have him, but what i'd really like to be able to do is, take the van so that he can come too.

I'm a staff trainer so he will have to be there on his own apart from breaks and luchtime ....... and this needs to be ok in the summer.

So, i need to start approaching different companies about my options; insulation, fans etc

and what i need to know is

What is the maximum temperature that Dij will be comfortable at?

What is the absolute maximum he can endure?

i need to be able to talk to companies and say that i need a van that will stay at a steady X degrees C in the summer, and even if we have a heatwave will not exceed Y degrees C, not even for 2 minutes GUARENTEED!

does anyone know the values for X and Y?

Last edited by a moderator:
lol! and pull it with a micra???? (w00t)

nope, i want a van conversion - am definate about that! just need to know what temperatures i need to be quoting to salesmen!

stuff that get a tent!! there is nothing like it hun (w00t)

urchin said:
ay up folks - i'm doing some research as i'm looking to buy a motorhome next autumn.
So far what i've found out from chatting to other owners is;

1)I need to do a lot of research! Apart from a steering wheel there's no such thing as a standard feature - so i need to make a list of what my 'absolute essentials' are

2) If you're buying 2nd hand, buy in the autumn as they're much cheaper!

3) It's a van conversion i'm interested in

So, i'm making my list (and checkin it twice - but doubt I'll find one in me stocking come christmas!)

And my important thing is that i need to be able to leave Dij in it during the day.

Apart from hols, the other thing i want it for is for when i'm working away from home. Currently i stay in hotels and friends have him, but what i'd really like to be able to do is, take the van so that he can come too.

I'm a staff trainer so he will have to be there on his own apart from breaks and luchtime ....... and this needs to be ok in the summer.

So, i need to start approaching different companies about my options; insulation, fans etc

and what i need to know is

What is the maximum temperature that Dij will be comfortable at?

What is the absolute maximum he can endure?

i need to be able to talk to companies and say that i need a van that will stay at a steady X degrees C in the summer, and even if we have a heatwave will not exceed Y degrees C, not even for 2 minutes GUARENTEED!

does anyone know the values for X and Y?

i dont think you will get that info the only way a van will stay a constant temp is if you have climate control air con and what will run it all day? and at what cost basically all vehicles are hot boxes unless you have some method of cooling and certain m.homes will have that but all day unattended??

if you see what you can stand them take it down a bit wouldnt that be about right?

if you have a air vent and a fan to move the air maybe with all the windows covered/tinted that should keep it down a fair bit.

that and parking under trees etc? when i take my mates dogs to work with me in the van they are usually ok all the time the windows are down a bit and the fans going as long as you dont leave for long in direct sunshine.i know you cant leave the engine going all day to run the fans(i'm only out of the van for short periods when doing a delivery)but with a back up battery and vents it would be ok would'nt it?

scotty

ok , i dont know about temperatures :- " , but as an american vehicle enthusiast for too many years to say i can highly recommend american day vans/ campers, they usually are very well insulated, some have electric heating/air con to maintain temps. also the spec on these is much higher than others and if you can handle left hand drive the insurance is cheap as are the parts :D the only down side is the fuel (15-30mpg :blink: ) as they are usually at least 5lt v8. sound good though an a dream to drive. :D

what you could do is price up a conversion? just done it for a small horsebox and worked out much cheaper tbh? if you wana ring me i can point you in a direction to see if that helps? :thumbsup:

I have a camper van conversion which I use for my agility shows. It's brilliant for weekends. Most of the time the dogs are outside in the "garden" but when I go off to run Hebe I have to lock the other 2 in the van for around 30-40 mins or else they would just escape & go looking for me!! :wub: As you know this summer has been HOT :sweating: so I had 2 extra windows put into the roof to give more air. As Rafferty is an escape artist I can't leave the main windows open or he jumps out. Neil has made me some grilles to fit the 2 door windows so I can leave them open fully.

I have a big silver reflective sheet which covers the front of the van & this with all the windows wide open keeps it cool enough for the dogs.

Would your van(or dog) be safe with all the windows open wherever you need to leave it?

I've never checked the inside temp but know that it's usually a lot cooler in there than it is outside. I honestly don't think you will be able to keep a vehicle cool enough to leave a dog in for any length of time, it can reach over 100 degrees in around 15 mins in the height of summer. :(

Could you not take Dig in with you, even if he was in a crate?

Hope you find a van, they are great.

And hope you find a way to take Dig to work with you. :thumbsup:

No idea Urchin - but try the RSPCA as they use vans with fan things on the top to keep the animals cool - perhaps they can let you know what they aim for and how they do it?

LDV,not a million miles from u hun just launching a van conversion,must say it looks great! Cant remember price but haggle,they need the money!

thanks for all the replies.......but yes, it must be a van not a tent - i have to be able to leave from it in the morning looking professional!

with breaks, the longest he'd be alone is about 2 hours (which tbh is a lot less than he's used to right now!).......and there's absolutely no way i could take him into venues with me, not even in a crate! it's just not that kind of job.

there are solar powered fans which will run all day in the sun without leaving an engine running - it's just that i need to know what temperature i need to specify (having been in quite a few ppl's vans recently i can definately say that the well insulated & ventilated ones are A LOT cooler than it is outside

will try the rspca for figures cheeers Rae, it really is important for me to know so that i can make sure anything i buy is up to the job.

good job i start my research early isn't it? !!!

I work for the RSPCA and drive a van with the fan thingys on the roof. They do keep the van cool but work best when on the move as its the speed of the van that keeps them spinning. On a windy day they also work but probably wouldn't do much good on a hot still day. I know if I come back to the van after a few hours away it can be quite stuffy in the back. They cost about £100 each to fit.

My van is white with no windows in the side but does have a back window. Your campervan would probably have more windows so would get hotter so I'd say you wouldn't get much benefit from the roof vents anyway.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back