The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Top Ten Debate

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As i said we too enjoyed travelling-and still will when we fancy certain venues-

£50 quid a trip-diesel?£10 dog entries- Sat/Sun- depending on where your travelling to of course-

We never really thought this to be a great deal of money considering on what other folk may pay for their weekend family entertainment-

Karen

Karen-Coral said:
Not so sure about 'a rich mans sport'? Maybe a sport for someone with time on their hands?and a few quid spare for diesel-?Some as we did enjoyed travelling-but a little bored with it all now-Top Ten included-

What kind of competition is it anyway-if even the organisers don't rate it?

Going back to the travelling side-yes it does invlove alot of miles but some seem to forget that the dog/s still need to win their heat/class/open to gain points-

Any silly sod can travel around the country-

Just my thoughts on the matter-

Karen Boyd

little bored with it you were not bored when you were going to every open to win it :oops:

who says the organisers don"t rate it crissy & paul do as much traveling as anybody to top ten opens. :oops:

as for any silly sod traveling around the country i must be one,as i go to watch even if i have nothing to run and have done so on many occasion :oops:

John-I said i'm bored with it-now. Is that ok?

and I say also- that the organisers themselves don't rate it-

I've heard their comments on numerous occasions-

Travelling around was and can still be fun-as i said we will travel when we fancy it-

Harry's no longer interested-

and as for travelling to win all the opens?????-no-not necessarily-

If you had read my comments properly you would see i was not calling/condemning anyone as silly sods for travelling-

I said if you were travelling to win points -you had to win the heat/class/open etc..to gain these points-therefore-just travelling wouldn't make you a TOP TEN WINNER.

Once again K9'ers in for the kill.........

Thats very boring too......

Karen Boyd

it id getting a rich mans sport. it costs me £50 if i want to go to ashfordby for the day by the time i pay for diesal and enter my dogs this might not be a lot to some people but when u only earn £70 its a fortune. i no i can only do it because i live with my dad if i had a house i couldn't race.

Some as we did enjoyed travelling-but a little bored with it all now-Top Ten included-

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

the way i read it, there is no i am just a we,

:( :( :(

my mistake if i am wrong :))

Pick the bones however you like---

I've stated my opinion-

Karen

we spend a fortune with the dogs :)) weekender's :)) ten days in Devon :)) a week in bonnie Scotland :)love it :)) and this year a week in grand canneries no dogs at this one of course :blink: just good crack and a bit of fun with doggy mates lol :cheers: :cheers: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) my mates away from the whippet scene think im mad for traveling with dogs, wich we most likely are lol when they are all going abroad twice a year 8) but each to their own i say :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
if you and ricky stopped out of the pub :cheers: and raced a little more we wouldn,t spend as much........lol :oops:

:cheers: :cheers: OK MAM I WILL :b 8) MMMMMMMMM :D o:) o:) WE GO IN PUB TO GET AWAY FROM YOU TWO LOL :cheers:

As much as people enjoy the sport and meeting up with friends and having a "good night" out at the weekenders and Devon etc. The fact still remains that some people have to get their priorities in order and just cannot afford to travel week in week out to opens due to the cost. There are a lot of people in the Sport who are either on a low income, unemployed, Incapacity Benefit or retirement Pensions, as much as they enjoy the sport with the cost of diesel etc. it is and has become an expensive sport. Those people who are earning a decent wage can afford it and don't need to think about the expense, whereas like the people I've mentioned do. One of the saddest things about this sport is the fact that so many clubs have closed due to the fact that for various reasons people went open racing and with the lack of support at the clubs they had no choice but to close. Now people with "Club" dogs and who cannot afford to go open racing have nowhere to race and are, therefore, leaving the sport. :( :( :(

Honeybee said:
As much as people enjoy the sport and meeting up with friends and having a "good night" out at the weekenders and Devon etc.  The fact still remains that some people have to get their priorities in order and just cannot afford to travel week in week out to opens due to the cost. 
This is quite true....This is why the top ten opens should be spread around the country allowing people that cannot afford to travel, a chance of racing there dogs a few times a year.

Its cost me and gaz a few quid this year traveling with or without racing a dog at the NWRF opens as the new fed committee never claimed any expenses, unlike some have. This is one of the main reasons the old fed books should have been handed in so members could see where there money had gone.

I also think this is why the AGM was badly attended the cost of people traveling plus its to near to Xmas. Maybe the BWRA yearly AGM should be over a weekend event as most people are there camping and would attend it.

A LOT OF CLUBS HAVE GONE BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN,T BE BOTHERED THE TRAPS AND LURE ETC DON,T JUST APPEAR ON THE TRACK THEMSELVES HOW MANY WHIPPET RACERS CAN HONESTLY SAY THEY MUCK IN AND LEND A HAND IT IS AL TO EASY TO BLAME IT ON THE OPEN CALENDAR

Whatever anyone may think about the South, and we're wealthy and all that tosh...well, a family home in Thurrock is now over £200 grand and if you you have an everyday job, travelling is a huge expense...Believe it or not 6 of the poorest area's are in the London area...unless you've got a real good job, it is tough in the South...

Paul

i think its tough anywhere in Britain if you dont have a good job Paul :( but even if you do have a goodn the b....d tax man nicks loads of it (w00t) :rant:there again think we are lucky compared to a lot of countries :))

i must be one of the lucky ones in that there r two clubs within 2 miles of me rising sun about one mile bigges maine about 2 miles. bigges maine runs all year round.mind i actually like some of the travelling around to diff places asfordby, scotland etc etc. if we didnt have whippets how many of us wud think about going to scotland or popping to melton mowbray 4 our annual hols? my mates outside the whippets think im mad too. (w00t)

I personally love travelling in the few years i have been racing i have made some of my best friends and going to opens is often the only way i get to see them, now i am driving myself i will be at all ends of the country, i am a poor student with only 1 dog and only a part time job, the only bennifit being i dont get the bloody tax man haha, but if my friends were on my door step i wouldnt travel if i didnt have to, but there not and i like the sight of tramac i have got used to it, so look forward to seeing plenty more of it this racing season and hope that i continue to see all of you :D

Jade

mutley said:
i think its tough anywhere in Britain if you dont have a good job Paul

Too true gary we have had a lot of companys up here move their factorys down south and abroad then the minimum wage was introduced but all that seems to have done is let employers pay as little as they can get away with. As for the cost of houses where I stay some ex council houses are now 100k and most of the new builds are 250k we have even had 1m plus propertys. As for racing I save up all winter so that I can do it in the summer even then I can't get to all the opens that I want too because they are too far south. As for clubs closing opens may have something to do with it cost probably is a factor but I ask you how did you find out about racing I only found out when I met my wife I did not know about whippet racing despite a club racing 40+ dogs every week only six miles from where I live (now closed). We need to get it in the public eye more and get more people interested but even then trying to get a pup for new racers is almost imposible as most breeders only want to sell to proven racing homes but how do you become a proven racer when you can't get a pup so racing will probaly remain a secret society. If racing is to survive never mind prosper we have to forget our differences and pull together yes we can debate and disagree but at some point agree to disagree and get on with racing. As for the top ten I for one take my hat off to racers who travel great distances to support opens and win their points but a part of me wonders how well Biddy and Demolition Blue would have done if their owners lived down south as living where they do makes it very difficult to compete in this comprtition after all when they did travel down south their records speak for themselves it would have been interesting to see where they would have finished in the top ten if they had raced in more opens.

[SIZE=11pt]Totally agree with you john look at some of the winners "not saying they are bad dogs"[/SIZE] their apperances into the twenties "i know you have to win those points you don't get them for just turning up " but thats almost impossible for some of us to travel to that many opens. But good luck to who can i take my hat off to them.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back