The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tottering Whippet

joey

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Today Tiffany our 5 year old went out for her morning stroll with the others as usual and was walking fine and seemed well in herself.

Once back home minutes later when they usually run into the kitchen for their post walk treat, Scott described her as walking like a crab,and he thought her back legs were not moving properly, she staggered and knocked a heater over.

I arrived home 15 minutes later to find an apparently normal healthy Tiffany (much to my delight) but have no idea what might have brought this on.

I am now keeping an eye on her to see if it happens again.

The only thing that sprung to my mind (apart from very serious reasons) was that she has been lying on a blanket that is really staticy? and ever time i touch her she is prickling with it, so dont know if the static was maybe just really getting to her (probably the worst diagnosis in history) If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it

thanks

sorry, meant to put this in general whippet talk, trying to get it moved as we speak :wub:

Cramp?

If it was post walk, it could be a possibility. It tends to make them walk crab like sometimes.

Hmm, haven't got a clue really,but suspect that Vicky is right.

Was she rugged up for her walk? It was very cold here this morning,I suspect she went from being very cold, to being very warm, so her muscles reacted to the temp. change.Apart from keeping an eye on her, which you are doing, I can't think of anything else to suggest.

Lyd

Tiffany and the others had only gone out for a quick walk down the road, so were literally out for 2-3 minutes.

Im going to keep an eye on her, though her movement has never been that great, where as most whippets have a very nice up and down trotting movement when they walk she seems to be more side to side! and when she runs its as though her back legs are tied together

You say that Tiffany runs as if her back legs are tied together - would you describe this as 'bunny hopping' ?

If so, its possible it could be a problem with her stifle joint(s) and would explain the side-to-side wiggle and the crabbing as well as the tying-up. I have experienced this with a Lab (osteo-arthritis) and a GSD (accident) and what you describe sounds quite familiar.

Trapper

Thanks for that info Trapper, she definately bunny hops when she runs.

I wonder then if she has always had a problem with her stifles and they are maybe getting a bit worse with age?

My oldie bunny hops when coming downstairs,but as he's nearly 18 yrs old,I put it down to old age.Along with other joint problems similar to arthritis.

As you're girl is so young,it might be worth taking her to visit a McTimmoney Chiropractitioner,or Pythsiotherapist.They may be able to help a lot.Whippets do seem to be very good at putting bits of themselves out of place,they then have their muscles etc get used to the bones being out,and actually help to keep them in the wrong position to function correctly.

Lyd

Lydia is quite right - I have this problem myself and an osteopath keeps me mobile.

Definitely worth considering a visit to a McTimmoney practitioner or a racing greyhound physiotherapist. As Lydia says, in one so young even if it were a stifle problem the cause in your case is unlikely to be arthritic in origin.

Trapper

Thanks Lyd and Trapper for all the helpful info, we took Forest to see someone once when he had a limp that just wouldnt go so think I will have to take Tiffany, maybe thats just what she needs as her movement has always been somewhat laboured, it would be lovely to see her moving properly :)

I have no idea but i'm interested and i hope it never bother's her again.

Im sorry it happened to her and best wishes for her future, the stifle thing sounds like something horses suffer from as well so i hope she will be ok.

:thumbsup: they normally are once the condition has been recognized and appropriate treatment delivered

best of luck. x x

joey said:
Today Tiffany our 5 year old went out for her morning stroll with the others as usual and was walking fine and seemed well in herself.Once back home minutes later when they usually run into the kitchen for their post walk treat, Scott described her as walking like a crab,and he thought her back legs were not moving properly, she staggered and knocked a heater over.

I arrived home 15 minutes later to find an apparently normal healthy Tiffany (much to my delight) but have no idea what might have brought this on.

I am now keeping an eye on her to see if it happens again.

The only thing that sprung to my mind (apart from very serious reasons) was that she has been lying on a blanket that is really staticy? and ever time i touch her she is prickling with it, so dont know if the static was maybe just really getting to her (probably the worst diagnosis in history) If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it

thanks

Hello,it's been a while since i had whippets but i do remember when i raced one of my whippets used to stagger all over the place after a race. This only started after she reached 5 and the cause was a restriction of blood flow in the neck,causing a lack of oxygen to the brain. I don't know if it is the same problem but it may help.

Hi joey sorry to here about Tiffany give her a big hug from me and hope its nothing serious and shes sorted soon

wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back