The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toxic Foods??

LasVegasNo1

Waiting for Telstra
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have just been flicking through October's National Geographic and there was a small article on Canine Taboos:

Alcohol

It depresses brain function and can cause a coma. So no pina colades for Fido - not for fun and not by accident with party leftovers.

Coffee

The caffeine in a cup of java is a methylxanthine compound that can increase a dog's heart rate and trigger seizures.

Chocolate

The chemical theobromine can be fatal. Just three ounces of dark or seven of milk can bring on vomiting in a 50-pound dog.

Macadamia Nuts

Experts have yet to determine why just a few of these nuts produce tremors, even temporary paralysis in a dog's hind legs.

Garlic

Garlic breaks down a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia and possible kidney failure from leaking hemoglobin.

Onions

Their damage to canine hemoglobin is cumulative, so small tastes over time can be worse than wolfing down the hole bulb.

Grapes

Toxicologists have found that grapes and raisins can cause renal failure. They're still trying to find out why.

I was surprised to read about the Onions; that small doses over time could do more damage than one big dose?? :unsure:

The question is should we believe everything we read?? ;)

I had heared about grapes and chocolate being bad for our poaches but none of the others??? Maybe thats why you can buy doggy chocolate as human chocolate is bad, has anyone ever tasted that doggy chocolate :x surley that can't be good lol

i have to hide grapes from Gypsy, she loves them and stole a few the other week :eek:

Dont believe garlic and onions they are meant to be good for them especially the garlic, If we believed everything we read they would nt be fed anything!!!!

:wacko: Or us for that matter!!

LasVegasNo1 said:
GarlicGarlic breaks down a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia and possible kidney failure from leaking hemoglobin.
Absolute load of bloomin' rubbish - I can't be bothered to explain yet again why it is but all it took was one article that circulated on the internet and now it is included every list 'just in case' it was true!!! The internet is a wonderful resource but just remember it is also circulates some absolute tripe :lol:

~JO~ said:
LasVegasNo1 said:
Garlic

Garlic breaks down a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia and possible kidney failure from leaking hemoglobin.
Absolute load of bloomin' rubbish - I can't be bothered to explain yet again why it is but all it took was one article that circulated on the internet and now it is included every list 'just in case' it was true!!! The internet is a wonderful resource but just remember it is also circulates some absolute tripe :lol:

I hope its ok because i give zeb garlic to treat for worms and flies also its good for minor infections.

Both Pepa and Phoebe love garlic bread should I stop giving it to them theyyboth give me those eyes

you all know what I am about

sue

Personally I think it's a matter of moderation and the reason they rule all of them out outright is because dogs are so varied in size and some have breed specific syndromic conditions e.g. poor renal function.

One of mine is a big thief but I never thought for one moment he'd steal a 3/4 full bottle of dutch advocat. I came home thinking he was injured or poisoned, as his rear legs were giving away from him. Rushed him to an emergency vet who felt he wasn't poisoned and that I should take him to his greyhound vet the following day for a look. Took him to Tony's were he sat on the sofa head lolling about and quite giddy. Tony smells his breath and confirms Dobby's drunk. :blink: Ring home and Mum confirms her advocat is missing! :oops:

Next day take very hungover dog to vets who says he's very lucky. however he did sprain his neck whilst under the influence.

I think if this had been one of my peds the outcome would of been grave but I think he got away with it because he's a big dog.

The reason he stole it I recon is because the stuff creeps outside the bottle, just like Baileys and sambucca does so keep your spirits in secure cupboards!

wild whippies said:
Personally I think it's a matter of moderation and the reason they rule all of them out outright is because dogs are so varied in size and some have breed specific syndromic conditions e.g. poor renal function.
One of mine is a big thief but I never thought for one moment he'd steal a 3/4 full bottle of dutch advocat. I came home thinking he was injured or poisoned, as his rear legs were giving away from him. Rushed him to an emergency vet who felt he wasn't poisoned and that I should take him to his greyhound vet the following day for a look. Took him to Tony's were he sat on the sofa head lolling about and quite giddy. Tony smells his breath and confirms Dobby's drunk. :blink:   Ring home and Mum confirms her advocat is missing! :oops:

Next day take very hungover dog to vets who says he's very lucky. however he did sprain his neck whilst under the influence.

I think if this had been one of my peds the outcome would of been grave but I think he got away with it because he's a big dog.

The reason he stole it I recon is because the stuff creeps outside the bottle, just like Baileys and sambucca does so keep your spirits in secure cupboards!

God I would never have thought of that!! But I suppose it makes sense, Advocaat, Baileys, Sheridans etc are all quite creamy and sweet so for a greedy doggy with a sweet tooth - yum yum!! Did he have a hangover? :wacko:

There is a notice in my local vet saying that dates and raisins are potentially fatal even in small quanitities. I know my small / medium lurcher managed a stolen pack of 3 eccles cakes with no apparent ill effects. I' ve always been suspicious of the ash in dry dog food, surely this can't be healthy?

wild whippies said:
One of mine is a big thief but I never thought for one moment he'd steal a 3/4 full bottle of dutch advocat. I came home thinking he was injured or poisoned, as his rear legs were giving away from him. Rushed him to an emergency vet who felt he wasn't poisoned and that I should take him to his greyhound vet the following day for a look. Took him to Tony's were he sat on the sofa head lolling about and quite giddy. Tony smells his breath and confirms Dobby's drunk. :blink:   Ring home and Mum confirms her advocat is missing! :oops:

lol...drunken dobby :lol: :lol:

when sky was alive she used to have half a pint (poored into an ashtray) after every race and it never did her any harm :cheers:

On the day she was pts i got her tanked up on marks n sparks fake baileys before she went to the vets :(

forgot...sky also used to steal alcohol off you...she would even swig glasses of whiskey,brandy & wine if you left them unattended for 2 seconds ...baileys & advocat i can understand but whiskey :blink: :wacko:

lol Tony's just telling me how he'd pour a whisky, nip for a wee then come back and think 'blimey I'm going through this fast!' :lol:

Can't see Dobs going on the razzle again though, he couldn't handle the hangover!

A few Christmasses ago Hebe & Rafferty shared a big box of liquer chocolates that theyd stolen from the pile of presents. They were both fine, not even an upset tum between them but not something I'd want them to do again

The Scene: "Mother's gone on holiday" party.

The Dog: Moany Moany (Blaze)

The Age: 5mths

Missing Article: Can of Tetleys Bitter

And we dashed around all over thinking the precious puppy had escaped from the garden and gotten squashed on a road somewhere, but she was discovered. Round the back of the shed, can between paws lapping up the bitter like a pro. (w00t)

Well she is from Langold after all :eek:

My OH has a terrier that was a fan of the Brown Ale :wacko:

Caravan Monster said:
I' ve always been suspicious of the ash in dry dog food, surely this can't be healthy?
Apparently it`s not real ash.It`s a term used for stuff used to bulk out food if i remember correctly...

I knew about chocolate and grapes/rasins..... but onions I am shocked about, :eek:

I was shocked enough about grapes and rasins when I first found out about that, but now onions, :eek:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back