The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tracking Device

Whip

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

On Saturday we were out in the fields when our pup Inky saw a hare and gave chase. As there were lots of fields where we were we lost site of him. Well we spent about half an hour searching for him we got really worried, probally the worst 30 mins of my life, we thought we might not ever see him again but he found us in the end.

We have since thought about getting tracking devices for their collars I've seen some on a few web sites but they are two big for whippets and cost a bomb.

Does anybody know where you can get small ones from like the ones they use for hawks.

Many Thanks

Simon

Hi. I can't help with the tracking device but have you thought of a loud whistle? I use an Acme 210. We used to live on the coast and even in gales the girls could hear them.

We are at present also looking for a small tracking device for our ferrets with no luck. Glad to hear you found Inky safe though. :sweating:

I agree that the whistle is a good idea, they seem to get a much better direction from a whistle than calling them. Also, if one goes off hunting it is much better to wait where they last saw you and just keep whistling rather than to go searching for them because 9 times out of 10 they will come back to that spot, whereas if you disappear as well they haven't got a clue where you are and I notice you say Inky found you in the end rather than the other way round!! You would probably have been reunited quicker if you had stayed put!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love a tracker each for the boys - they usually don't run off - but ten will give chase if he see's a bunny!

I have a flashing collar for twilight hours - but they are not great to spot.

A whistle sounds a good idea - are these the special doggy types? do they take much training to use? :blink: or will i attract every dog on the beach? :lol:

Staying put is a good idea when they run off - Ten always comes back eventually, once i'm completely panick stricken and hoarse from shouting usually... :angry:

Moo.UK said:
A whistle sounds a good idea - are these the special doggy types? do they take much training to use?  :blink:   or will i attract every dog on the beach? :lol:
Staying put is a good idea when they run off - Ten always comes back eventually, once i'm completely panick stricken and hoarse from shouting usually... :angry:

I used to have a lovely deer antler whistle that I got from the local Gunsmith but I lost it :rant: :rant: . I just bought the plastic replacement at the kennels that has a pet food shop. It sounds like a football whistle, none of this silent whistle crap. The youngster just get used to it when they go out with the big dogs, it doesn't take long for them to get the idea and they react much quicker than to calling if they are any distance away and, as I said before, they seem to get a much better sense of where you are if they are heading back and have lost sight of you.

I like the whistle idea. What is the best way to train the recall using a whistle?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back