The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

train puppy for the shows

Pipa

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a question. May be anybody can give a good advice. If a puppy of 7 months does not like shows and a little affraid of people, is it possible to train it to the shows and do not have a stress?

It really depends on how severe the problem is. My little white girl doesn't like other breeds, which makes Open Shows and general Championship Shows difficult. However, I find if I get there early and give her lots of time to settle, she usually thinks that the'monsters' aren't so bad.. Also I find a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy helps.

Hi Pippa,

I had a bitch like that.........didn't get her untill she was 5 months............and she was very nervous of most things............but with the help of Valerium and Skullcap tablets from dorwest herbs she got over it and is now coming up three years and has had a good show career.

I found skullcap and valerian very good, helped a bitch of mine no end. You could also try taking her to a few shows, (local ones), and not showing her. Sit down somewhere, relax, (you) and watch what is going on. When she is worried, you are probably tensing up as well, you have to be relaxed, calm and happy or your pup won't be able to either. With spring coming, there will be more exemption shows happening, try some of the novelty classes, where both of you can be as relaxed as poss. Whilst you are in the ring have FUN, :D play with your pup, act a fool, make it fun for her to be in the ring. No-one is going to care! You can then build up from this, it is hard work. My bitch,who is now 2yrs, has only been showing well for the last 6mths. or so, but, we have had fun getting there, we also have breaks from showing where we do fun things instead. Life is too short, to get stressed in a show ring, and have a judge, who wouldn't like your dog, regardless how it goes, chuck you out. :b

Lydia and Darkstars.

Do you take her to any ringcraft training? If not it would be a good place to get her used to people and other dogs.

Wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back