The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Training A Pup For Racing

Nubian

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello again!

More advice required please!

I suspect that this is really a matter of personal preference and that there is probably no right or wrong answer but it would be nice to know of any general practices.I am a beginner so I have no personal experience.

My pup is 15 weeks today and I accept that I have ages to go before I can think about training him for his first race. I have had greyhounds before but all the schooling was done by trainers but as this is my first whippet this will be the first time for me. Greyhounds can't race until about 15 months but I understand that whippets start much earlier.

I have heard that some whippet pups would have had their first race by say 9 or 10 months. Is this about right? Does it depend on the size of the dog? For example with greyhounds the bigger dogs started later. Does the same go for whippets?

Should I wait to see what sort of size he is at say eight or nine months then start training him? Or should I be starting him off (whatever his size) by a certain age? Which is the best way to start him off? Do I get him fit by galloping him behind a lure or increasing the distance of his walks?

Is it better to start him off on the bends or on the straight? I have never seen any books on training whippets such as the type you can get for help in training greyhounds but know you there is a vast amount of knowledge out there...any advice?

Cheers!

my opinion for what it's worth,i would'nt run him/her full distance behind a lure untill at least 8/9 month or if him/her is first cross whippet x greyhound 11/12 month,start with getting them keen on the lure then just hand slip 20 yards behind a lure ;) they have to grow up first. :eek:

i just sit in the house and tease /drag along the floor with a bit of old towel/cloth as soon as possible ;)

totaly agree with you john sound advice m8 ;)

my little bitch pup is 7 mounths old shes had to little hand slips and and will have a go sunday about 70 yards then at the keeble when shes 8 mounths she will have a 150 then hopefully ready to get ready for devon where she will be 9 and a bit

my opinion for what it's worth,i would'nt run him/her full distance behind a lure untill at least 8/9 month or if him/her is first cross whippet x greyhound 11/12 month,start with getting them keen on the lure then just hand slip 20 yards behind a lure ;) they have to grow up first. :eek:
i just sit in the house and tease /drag along the floor with a bit of old towel/cloth as soon as possible ;)
Thanks for this John!

My dog is whippet x whippet. When do you start with the 20 yard handslips? At what age?

Friggsy, your pup is 7 months old and had is it two handslips? Again, when was the first handslip?

As for these handslips are they on the straight or do you do the first ones on a bend at a schooling track?

Thanks for this John!

My dog is whippet x whippet. When do you start with the 20 yard handslips? At what age?

Friggsy, your pup is 7 months old and had is it two handslips? Again, when was the first handslip?

As for these handslips are they on the straight or do you do the first ones on a bend at a schooling track?
on the straight 3 weeks ago just 30y than another last week she will have 70 or 80 at thurrock come over sunday

Hiya

All pups are different I've got a 7 1/2 month little 23lb whippet and shes doing full distance (150yds straights) But my sister has a pup out the same litter who is only having small slips as she isn't ready for full runs she loser her legs to much...!

My older whippet was 31lb and didnt start till she was 8 months and in my opinion larger whippets most of the time take longer than the little ones.

we started the small slips chasing a lure from around 6 months and take it from there you'll get to know either way if you pup is ready or not to do abit more each week...Before this tho we always have them out in the garden running round with bits of rags to get them keen on chasing and tugging,We always say lots of free running helps, all our dogs go out free running from an early age to strengthen up etc before we think of putting behind a lure.

Some may disagree on this tho ;) :D (the free running) ;) :D

My pup will soon be ready to go back to having little slips but in the company of an older slower whippet for her training to progress on to racing.

best advice i can give is wait till growth plates are grown, thats the most important ;) saves a lot of injuries short slips 7 month then 8 or 9 months the full distance ;)

Hiya
All pups are different I've got a 7 1/2 month little 23lb whippet and shes doing full distance (150yds straights) But my sister has a pup out the same litter who is only having small slips as she isn't ready for full runs she loser her legs to much...!

My older whippet was 31lb and didnt start till she was 8 months and in my opinion larger whippets most of the time take longer than the little ones.

we started the small slips chasing a lure from around 6 months and take it from there you'll get to know either way if you pup is ready or not to do abit more each week...Before this tho we always have them out in the garden running round with bits of rags to get them keen on chasing and tugging,We always say lots of free running helps, all our dogs go out free running from an early age to strengthen up etc before we think of putting behind a lure.

Some may disagree on this tho ;) :D (the free running) ;) :D

My pup will soon be ready to go back to having little slips but in the company of an older slower whippet for her training to progress on to racing.
Thanks Sadie. this is extremely helpful.

I don't think my dog is going to be a heavyweight. I have been told he is likely to make about 22-25lbs. I cannot really tell as I don't have the benefit of experience to go by. So if he is likely to be around that size then perhaps I should be looking at 20-30 yard handslips at about 6-7 months. He is already getting quite a bit of free running around the garden and the local parks and seems willing to chase almost anything so I'm hoping he will take to the lure well enough (fingers crossed!).

Well i would just like to say good luck with him and hope hes a champs for you,

I would say you will get to know when he is ready and what he is ready for :D good luck again

sadie x

best advice i can give is wait till growth plates are grown, thats the most important ;) saves a lot of injuries short slips 7 month then 8 or 9 months the full distance ;)
I learned from the greyhound world that it is important that growth plates should be allowed to fully form before a pup is put through the stresses of hard racing. The problem for me though is being able to tell when this has actually taken place as I guess it will vary from pup to pup.

Do you know for sure when the growth plates have fully formed? How can you tell when this stage has been reached?

I always leave late, as mine are 30+. 12 month i think about schooling they are free run,ask your oestopath if they ready. then give them 50 yds step yardage on how they run.

you here folks say stop it if it starts to loss its legs, by that time its to late (w00t)

our bentley is 13 months 34 lb, had his first full length wed been built up over 3 weeks looks strong and running well.

i am a bit cautious.

I get comments i might get him going by his a vet. but i think you get a better dog starting them late.

some folks get away with early schooling some dont :luck: :luck:

best of luck, go to a club get some advise folks will always help :luck: :luck: :thumbsup:

I always leave late, as mine are 30+. 12 month i think about schooling they are free run,ask your oestopath if they ready. then give them 50 yds step yardage on how they run.you here folks say stop it if it starts to loss its legs, by that time its to late (w00t)

our bentley is 13 months 34 lb, had his first full length wed been built up over 3 weeks looks strong and running well.

i am a bit cautious.

I get comments i might get him going by his a vet. but i think you get a better dog starting them late.

some folks get away with early schooling some dont :luck: :luck:

best of luck, go to a club get some advise folks will always help :luck: :luck: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

growth plates are usualy fully formed by 9 to 12 month

start straight racing first leave the bends until much older as there is a lot of strain on the wrists. I start handslipping at approx 10 months old before that i let them watch the racing and perhaps play with them with the lure and rag it. Once they are running okay let them have a puppy race. Once they are 12months i turn them away for a couple of months and then enter a yearling race at 16months they come on with a vengence then!!

GOOD READ ABOUT PUPS :thumbsup: PEOPLE IDEAS

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned from the greyhound world that it is important that growth plates should be allowed to fully form before a pup is put through the stresses of hard racing. The problem for me though is being able to tell when this has actually taken place as I guess it will vary from pup to pup.
Do you know for sure when the growth plates have fully formed? How can you tell when this stage has been reached?
Growth plates are fully formed at 53 weeks, don't be to eager to be wanting to competitively race your young dog, because not many puppy champions go on to be adult champions :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
NORMAN (ESCAPE ROUTE) HAD HIS FIRST RACE AT 11 1/2 MONTHS,

WASNT GIVEN 150YDS UNTIL HE WAS JUST UNDER 11MONTHS

BUT EVERY DOGS DIFFERENT SOME ARE MORE FORWARD THAN OTHERS

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back