The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Training Advice Please

Rabbitrunner

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All,

Well my 6mnth old pup has been good to train, however over the last month he has become increasingly "deaf" with regard to recall. It has got to the point where he will not return, but does not run off into the distance, and will continue to follow me wherever I am going but does not come back to hand.

In the home the story is completely different, he is obedient and does everything he is told. He spends alot of time off the lead now has till recently has been fine. Any advice please....

a lot of whippets go through this "selective deafness" between 6-12 montrhs old, just be patiant and they'll improve again as they grow out of the stage.

I am going through the same thing with Dolly. She is 12 months and it started a few weeks ago when the rabbits started coming out more. What i have been doing is taking treats out and having her on a extendable lead and then calling her. If she comes straight away then give her a treat and loads of praise i then do the same when she is off the lead. The knack with Dolly is seeing when she is just about to run off and calling her just before to interrrupt her thought process!! She still legs it off now and again but mostly she is quite good. I also got a long training lead and used that. Hopefully as other people have said they will grow out of it!!

Thanks, His main pre-occupation at the moment is rabbits, and spends most his time scenting them through the undergrowth. We are well supplied with them so you can understand his interest. Will try the treat tip though..

mine stick to me like glue when i have treats,but as soon as they have gone,so have the dogs.

Rabbitrunner said:
Hi All,
Well my 6mnth old pup has been good to train, however over the last month he has become increasingly "deaf" with regard to recall.  It has got to the point where he will not return, but does not run off into the distance, and will continue to follow me wherever I am going but does not come back to hand. 

In the home the story is completely different, he is obedient and does everything he is told.  He spends alot of time off the lead now has till recently has been fine.  Any advice please....

Like yourself my bitch has been a pleasure to train, her recall is very good until she is out with me and smells the bunnies, then she is completely deaf, my dog does run off into the distance, to far sometimes for me and then wallah shes back with me, i never use treats i want her to come back to me not a treat, spose im lucky, not much help i suppose to you, but why not try treats, lots of k9ers do, anyway good luck with him

keith

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back