The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Training Any Ideas

Louise_Simon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
After nearly 7 months of training classes we decided to take the plunge and do the kennel club good citizen bronze :thumbsup: We crashed and burned on the recall and lost interest by the 1 minute stay :angry: Can walk lovely on the lead past other dogs even let me check her paws and brush her with no nips, but staying still for 10 seconds until I call her not a hope. Left the class with our tail between our legs (everyone else passed). :b

She is fine at home and does everything perfectly o:) we cant practise outside as madam wont sit on anything but carpet :- " so I'm not sure how to proceed to get her over the everything else is more interesting than you in class thing

take a piece of carpet into class for her to sit on, our teacher let us do this for the foundation puppy class as she was very understanding about skinny dogs don't like lying on church hall floors !

Ella sat/stayed for longer than all the others ! :luck: :luck:

it took us quite a while to master the recall , i think Alfie was well over a year before i could do the length of the hall without him following me and even now (he's 17mths) he will recall well and when told to finish will go around behind me (we never got to grips with the whle same side finish thing)and run off for a natter with his mates at the side of the hall, :wacko: I was told whippets were difficult to train :oops: GOOD LUCK :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Louise_Simon said:
After nearly 7 months of training classes we decided to take the plunge and do the kennel club good citizen bronze  :thumbsup:   We crashed and burned on the recall and lost interest by the 1 minute stay  :angry:   Can walk lovely on the lead past other dogs even let me check her paws and brush her with no nips, but staying still for 10 seconds until I call her not a hope. Left the class with our tail between our legs (everyone else passed).  :b
She is fine at home and does everything perfectly  o:)   we cant practise outside as madam wont sit on anything but carpet  :- "  so I'm not sure how to proceed to get her over the everything else is more interesting than you in class thing

Haven't got any tips but I sympathize entirely with you as Muffin was hopeless at Puppy Citizenship classes! :b All the other little puppies were sitting and staying very obediently. Muffin was far more interested in eating the contents of the floor - it was a riding school :- " and I ended up going home really frazzled :wacko: We gave up in the end although there were other circumstances that made attending difficult. I suppose we ought to try again really. :blink:

Thanks for your ideas but the exercises are all done on mats anyway and I am in eye contact with her the main problem is other dogs to go see or bits on the mats to investigate, I think she does not respect me enough and has the attention span of a flea. Maybe I should try blue blankie as she sleeps on that for hours :D

Louise_Simon said:
After nearly 7 months of training classes we decided to take the plunge and do the kennel club good citizen bronze  :thumbsup:   We crashed and burned on the recall and lost interest by the 1 minute stay  :angry:   Can walk lovely on the lead past other dogs even let me check her paws and brush her with no nips, but staying still for 10 seconds until I call her not a hope. Left the class with our tail between our legs (everyone else passed).  :b
She is fine at home and does everything perfectly  o:)   we cant practise outside as madam wont sit on anything but carpet  :- "  so I'm not sure how to proceed to get her over the everything else is more interesting than you in class thing

My whippet Sidney passed his Good citizens Silver at 7 months old , the way we managed the recalls was to put him in a "stand" stay, this seemed to get around the "cold floor" problem, i also used a duvet (w00t) for him to lay on for his stays . Although some clubs want to you to put your dog in a "sit" for the recalls/stays there is no rule to say that you can`t put them in the "stand" or "down" position .

P.S. Sid wasn`t the only whippet taking the test with his duvet :lol:

:( Oh dear, what a shame! I'm afraid I don't really have any advice, just that you're not on your own....at 5 years old, Eli still struggles with stay, and has selective recall which can be a disaster at times. Maybe it's a whippet thing. He'll happily sit, give paw, lie down, very obedient generally, lovely on lead, and good as gold at home, but asked to perform what to me are the most important commands for safety, he goes completely gormless on me :clown: I haven't given up though, we're constantly working on it!

William (20wks) on the other hand is proving to be a considerably brighter spark, and is coming on in leaps and bounds (literally! :p )

Anyway, having said all that, don't lose heart, keep at it :luck: :)

Just read my post and realise that I've been totally unhelpful. Sorry! :b :)

I think its a whippet thing Indy whent back to class after her brocken leg and remebers everything just fine but will not what ever you do sit. Doesnt matter what we try she has decied this is the thing shes not going to do :D . but shes so behined now it will be a long time before she goes for her awards

Take the blue blanky for her to lie on. I took my whippets a bed to lie on and then found that other people were copying with their GR's and GSD's etc etc.

Take the soft blanket..our Wolfie stays nicely for 2 minutes..but would not do it on hard floor.

We past good citizen one in first time but failed the bronze obedience as "our noughty one" just looses his concentration so easily if there are other dogs around...He just want to play and play... however at home he does all comands perfectly... :)) .

Whippets are bit of challenge in terms of training when they are young...should get easier when they mature...We hope.. :))

Good luck in your future exams...

ponygirl said:
Just read my post and realise that I've been totally unhelpful. Sorry! :b :)
No, not unhelpful makes me feel I'm not on my own, we will get there in the end :cheers: We are allowed to move up to the silver class as she might be a bit bored with the same old same old, but I am taking blue blankie with me it can only help :thumbsup:

i always take a small dog duvet with me to dog training...i have no chance of them doing anything without it :lol: keep up trying and good luck :luck:

All this sounds very familiar...but that's what I love about whippets :wub: - they have a cheeky spark about them that other 'more obedient' breeds don't compare with (that's what I like to tell myself when Willow is being 'independent' i.e. ignoring me!) :- "

Alison

How old is she Louise?? I've done the good citizen scheme with Chloe and when i first started classes i thought that Chloe would never be able to do the down stay. Well, of course she eventually could. Like your dog, she was a lot better at home than at classes, because she got distracted by the other dogs! As you continue your classes she will get better. Also, practice the down stay whilst at other peoples houses so she gets use to doing it in other places other than home.

Chloe was also rubbish at recall to begin with, she would just go deaf and career round the hall - with me dying of embarrassement. Most dogs respond to being treated when they come back, but not Chloe - racing round embarrassing me was much more fun than a bit of cheese :lol: The trainer i went to (who was excellent and has been obedience champion at Crufts), suggested bringing one of her favourite toys to classes. When she went off running i would call her and show her the toy (i used a rope tugger). I waved the toy, or dangled it on the floor and she would come back. Once i'd got hold of her, she was allowed the toy to play with. It worked brilliantly for her. As she grew up and improved, i gradually used the toy less and less. Also, running in the opposite direction to them can help to get there attention.

:luck: and don't feel too disheartened, i guarantee she will improve if you stick at it.

Hi Jok

Daisy will be 1 year old on Sunday bless her :wub: I do take a variety of treats and a toy with us, coz she gets bored when its not her turn (when shes not napping off on my lap) I think she has ADHD in class maybe when shes had her first season she might settle down?

We wont be giving up though if thats what shes thinking as I think overall she has turned out nicer than if I hadn't taken her. she is lovely outside of class except for the recall as she doesn't come back until shes ready, she doesn't go far from me. So I do run away from her making silly beeping noises and squeaking a toy, she is always rewarded for coming back no matter how long it takes coz I don't want her to think it's a bad idea and I'll be cross

PS although I might sound abit moaney I do love her Whippety independence coz she does make me laugh (as well as the rest of the class) :clown: Her nickname in class is Miss personality.

Thanks for all the advice and support

Josie and I failed Bronze on our first attempt too (w00t) on the same items as you. She was onlu 8 months and looking back, she was simply too young. Her recall suddenly improved at about 12 months, and now she's excellent (ditto sit/stay) and she passed Bronze with flying colours shortly after her first birthday. Just keep practising and don't worry too much :thumbsup: you WILL get there in the end :)

Are they at all leanient (sp) with pups in the bronze award - i.e. will they let you have a second go at the recall etc if you get it wrong first time? Zair is due to take his award in May and he will only be 8 months then. All the others taking it have been training for ages but we have only just gone into the second group!

EMILY said:
Are they at all leanient (sp) with pups in the bronze award - i.e. will they let you have a second go at the recall etc if you get it wrong first time?  Zair is due to take his award in May and he will only be 8 months then.  All the others taking it have been training for ages but we have only just gone into the second group!
We did get a second try, but it was at the end of the class and poor Josie was just tired and bored by that time, so it wasn't a great success :- " I think pups should all have a go at the hard bits right at the start and get them over with while they're keen and interested. Perhaps you could ask about the order in which things are done at your class? :)

We were allowed 3 goes at each thing, but if she runs off the first time she'll do the same again second and third time. It was quite late as she goes to sleep by 8 usually

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back