The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

training for lure-coursing

Gerben Groustra

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I am new on this list, but i know a few of you, like Liz and Vanna and some others.

I am starting to create interesests for lurechasing here in Norway / and i write in our Sighthoundmagazines on

these subjects.

How much roadwork do you put in your dogs before entering a course

Gerben

Welcome Gerben!:cheesy:

I'm sure you will have some interesting and varied answers to your question.  Although I moderate this board, I have never actually been coursing.  Our dogs get 2-3 miles (or 4 kilometers if you work in those!) a day road walking to keep fit for racing, as when racing they only expend their energy in short bursts.  I would imagine a coursing dog would benefit from more running as endurance exercise.  I will read the replies from coursing enthusiasts with interest.

Maybe we should start a lure coursing forum. What do you think?

Hi Gerben

I take part in racing & Coursing, as June says 3-4 mile is ample for racing where dogs usualy run 3-4 runs over say 150-240yds and rest between runs.

but for coursing (live) dogs may need to walk 10-15 mile in a day (for a walked meeting) and then run from 3-6 courses on top of that so 5-6 mile Rd walking and plenty of free running to build up stamina and endurance is whats needed.

i've never tried lure coursing but im planning to have a go later this year and would think training for lure coursing came some where in between these to, as the dogs run courses of around 240-500yds and then rest in between.

hope this helps Mark

(Edited by Mark Roberts at 6:45 pm on April 23, 2001)

Hi, our Savernake Chinzano Girl courses.  When I'm trying to get her ready for the season we walk as mush as I can.  Generally, I have found that 5 miles is not enough, twice this, if possible, is better. but I stop when I've had enough, the dog is happy to walk on.

During a coursing event she is happy to walk all day 09:00 to 15:00 plus run three times.  I don't know how she does it!!  But after a day in 'the field' she only gets a light walk 3 miles (I can't do any more).

With this effort she gets fed 1.5 times her normal feed for a couple of days, and I watch her weight.  We have learnt that to watch her weight is a good measure of her fitness.  I hope this is useful.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back