The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Training Pups

milly

Who's Y Daddy?
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
When schooling pups on the lure, how far infront of the dog do you think the lure should be? personally I think about 3 to 4 yards. Because if the lure is right under the pups nose, It could result in injuring the young dog. This happened to us today :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
personally id say about 10 to 12 yards as i think it makes the pups stretch more just my opinion

Even with adult dogs the lure should be atleast 10yds. Hope your pup is ok.

Have to say,i agree with Fletch on this one,about 4 or 5 yds keeps them keen,and you dont realy want pups,stretching to their limits till they're ready,as this can also injure them.Again of course,its according to their age. ,,,Billy...

IMO if the lure was only 4 to 5 yards in front the dog wud be stuttering to catch it as if it was going to stop. I agree with sharon on this one even for adults 10 yards in front. i wud personally rather have it too far in front rather than too near JMO

p.s which pup is it? and r they ok now? hope it wasnt too serious. carole x

geoff not giving any think away but my pups are to fast for the lure

only joking havent even tried pups yet but do hope you pup is ok

:cheers: :luck: :luck: :p

gary

i think 4 or 5 in front for first couple of runs :thumbsup: then we bring the lure from behind the dog letting the dog slip after it with like i said 4 to 5 yards in front :thumbsup: nothing worse than someone trying to keep the lure under a pups nose :( U STILL THE DADDY FLETCH :p HOPE THE PUPS OK M8

Last edited by a moderator:
NEILPEM said:
EVEN THE DADDY IS STILL LEARNING,***** :D
I wasn't driving the lure, he had Josies nose nearly touching it. She as jarred her self with trying to grab it as she was chasing it. I've been driving a lure for 45 years and never hurt a dog through bad lure driving :rant:

AGREE WITH GARY LURE SHOULDNT BE KEPT TOO CLOSE TO A PUP, HOPE PUP IS OK FLETCH :thumbsup: BY THE WAY YOU N HAZEL LOOKED WELL TODAY IN YOUR MATCHING WELLIES,THOUGHT HAZEL WOULD HAVE SHOWED ME HER FERRET THO :(

NEILPEM said:
AGREE WITH GARY LURE SHOULDNT BE KEPT TOO CLOSE TO A PUP, HOPE PUP IS OK FLETCH :thumbsup: BY THE WAY YOU N HAZEL LOOKED WELL TODAY IN YOUR MATCHING WELLIES,THOUGHT HAZEL WOULD HAVE SHOWED ME HER FERRET THO :(
If your luck had been in, she my have shown you here hedgehog (w00t) :D

milly said:
NEILPEM said:
EVEN THE DADDY IS STILL LEARNING,***** :D
I wasn't driving the lure, he had Josies nose nearly touching it. She as jarred her self with trying to grab it as she was chasing it. I've been driving a lure for 45 years and never hurt a dog through bad lure driving :rant:

(w00t) (w00t) (w00t) 45 years! You old Bugger!

Sorry to read Josie's injured, hope she's better soon. :huggles: :luck: :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back