The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

TRAP BOARDS

• Thread starter RCHSAMSARA@TISCALI.CO.UK
  • Start date
R

RCHSAMSARA@TISCALI.CO.UK

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
WHAT ARE SO CALLED WHIPPET RACES THINKING OF BANNING KICK BOARDS,DO THEY REALISE WHAT IT MEANS, DOGS THAT ARE ALLREADY RUNNING ARE SCHOOLED TO TRAP USEING A KICK BOARD,THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BE SCHOOLED ALL OVER AGAIN,ALSO WILL WE GET THE SAME RESULTS NEXT YEAR AS WE HAVE HAD THIS YEAR, THE LIKES OF DEM BLUE&DRAMA QUEEN. BIDDY. WILL THEY STILL TRAP LIKE WE KNOW THEY CAN.ALSO IT WILL BE EVEN WORSE ON THE BENDS FOR THE LITTLE DOGS SITTING AT THE BACK OF THE TRAP. I HAVE A PUP AND AS BEEN SCHOOLED USEING A BOARD,I AM GOING TO HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN :angry: SOMTHING AS DRAMATIC AS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BROUGHT IN OVER A PERIOD OF TIME NOT INSTANTLY.

hi john we totaly agree we think banning kick boards is foolish esp on the bends if u are going to ban boards u should ban them all together by all govening bodys inc all clubs not just the bwra but also the fed ,ie i agree with keeping the no limet the same

I also have to agree with john and peter ...all the govening bodys will have to do the same now or else our dogs are going to be well confussed,i just hope that all the clues that run B.W.R.A events make sure the floors on there traps are good enough for our dogs to run off.

What a pathertic thing to do, has these people who voted for the banning in really thought about the lameness this will cause to dogs already school with boards. :angry:

well as for no change in the no limit who cares,but as for kickboards ive nothing against people using them,just the people that mess about with them when your dog is already in the trap going mad,some people do it on purpose,so i agree with bwra and think nwrf should do the same.

The writing has been on the wall for the last 3 years with regard to kickboards, so it should come as no surprise that at last they have been banned. in so far as bend racing is concerned the last 2 meetings at West Houghton Greyhound stadium, the use of kickboards has not been necessary and all our dogs have not had any problems without them. Coral who is only 20lbs was certainly not sat at the back of the traps and came out well. Nor were any other dogs. 80plus BWRA members turned up to the meeting, we had a 3 hour drive to get there and the decision was met with a round of applause from the majority.

In my opinion it is time that all clubs etc followed suit. A member of the Scottish Derby commitee has been informed of todays decision so maybe they will follow suit also.

I can't believe that people are shocked that kickboards have been banned, it had been on the cards ever since they had started using them!!!!! Surely better to get it over and done with than it be brought up at every meeting, as everyone knew it would happen at some point.

I was neither for nor against the idea although i do think that not running with them will take a lot less messing around near the traps and it also gives you more space when your travelling anywhere, not everyone goes racing in a van and i for one always struggled to fit a pram, baby seat, dog & kickboard in my car (the board being bigger than my dog - on the bends).

As for the little uns being at the back of the traps as Steve says little Coral has no trouble when he's trapping (he is probably better at trapping out of the boxes without boards than the likes of Masai & This Way at our club).

I remember the fuss made when the outside hare first came into place, people saying how the youngsters that were trained to the outside hare were at an advantage compared to the dogs already used to running inside. I didn't notice that it made any difference as the dogs adapted really well as i'm sure the dogs will adapt without boards.

As for the NWRF & clubs following suit i think they will have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAVING JUST READ SOME OF THE REPLYS NO ONE AS GIVE A GOOD ENOUGH REASON WHY BAN KICK BOARDS IF SOMEONE WANTS TO USE A KICK BOARD LET THEM ,THOSE THAT DONT IS THERE OPTION , I DONT USE A FRONT BOARD BUT I DONT WANT THEM BANNED.MAYBEE WE SHOULD GO BACK TO THE OLD WAY SLIPPING YOUR DOG, THEN WE WOULD"NT NEED TRAPS. :b ( P.S NO ONE IS FORCED TO USE A KICK BOARD.) :angry:

Your right no-one is forced to use a kickboard and there are some who run regular at opens that i have seen run without but anyone with a bit on sense knows that your dog will lose 3/4 yd when competing against good sprinters, so even though people are glad they are banned they aren't gonna handicap themselves.

I am in the same weight class as the likes of Xccentric, Xtasy & Show Three and you just can't give away a couple of yard at the boxes to this calibre of dog over 150yd.

a few reasons against boards just off the top of my head:

1. How many dogs do you see fall out of their traps on their nose??

2. I've seen the stockier dogs flatten kickboards!

3. Near enough every track nowadays is a different trap width , this means you either have a load of add- ons or a load of different boxes.

4. On the bends, all the boards scattered around the trap area is dangerous to the dogs & owners especially towards the end of the day when it's all boggy.

ps. John your argument so far is that people will have to re-train their dogs to trapping without a board and then your saying we should go back to the old way of handslipping!!!!! Need i say more?

Here's one of the previous threads on this topic:

JOHN_M Posted: Jun 30 2002, 04:48 PM

It seems that the kick boards question will do the rounds again this year and after only a two vote defeat in the B.W.R.A. AGM a ban will surely follow very soon, My only thought is that a ban will be good for all dogs but those now running off kick boards must be allowed time to be used to not having them or that all new season pups will not be allowed to use them and so in time all kick boards will be barred. any ideas

NEILPEM Posted: Jun 30 2002, 06:08 PM

kickboards are something most of us use,but do not need to,

i dont think they do the dogs much good,they may and may

not be the cause of many injuries,i think front boards should

stay but kickboards should be banned,as for older dogs they

would soon adapt to running without them.

michelle Posted: Jul 1 2002, 05:48 PM

very two minded over this , but my main concern is for dogs safety....I've seen some injuries due to ill fitting ramps(kickboards) and to be honest do we really need them???, I know that the dogs get a trapping advantage....but if everyone does'nt have the advantage of a ramp this may be fairer and safer on the other dogs....I wonder if the bwra ban the use, will everyone else??(nwrf,irg,clubs etc)

ps....another advantage of kickboard ban , who has left a kickboard at a track only to notice half way home they forgot it??

ME !!!!!

JOHN_M Posted: Jul 2 2002, 05:27 AM

I am sure that if kick boards were banned by the BWRA then every club and group would follow, there would be little point in racing with kickboards at some meetings and not at others because of training your dogs for the big events such as championships if they have banned the use of them their. the only problem that i can see is that all trap floors must be to a standard, but that can be overcome if each club either makes good all trap floors or have a set of flat boards that can be put in the traps.

Terry Smith Posted: Jul 2 2002, 05:37 PM

We're ped owners but do most of our racing at a non-ped club. As you know kick boards have been banned in ped racing for many years. The steeper (sprint) boards do seem to put the dog at a bad angle. On the other hand they are a great training aid. They make it hard for a dog to turn around & face backwards in the trap.

NEILPEM Posted: Jul 2 2002, 06:49 PM

From spotlight magazine 1985.

does the hare who is being coursed by dogs run downhill? indeed not.he escapes on the flat or preferably uphill,which is only natural as his back legs ae longer than his front,

although whippets back legs are not so exaggerated as the hares,they are indeed longer,lift your dog by both hocks and stretch his legs back,you should then realise that facing downhillwould not be his natural starting possition,if traps were angled at the front it helps your dogs (crouch) position but if straight may differ the crouch position of your dog,but it would be same for all the dogs in the race and none would gain an advantage.the quicker the national bodies and clubs bar these devises from use the better for the sport of whippet racing.an element of cheating by the old time slippers in the early years of whippet racing was only avoided when traps were introduced,im saying that now an element of cheating has returned with the introduction of spring boards,if you are one of the gadget brigade,show a bit of sportsmanship and leave them at home,you dont need them and neither does your dogs.whew never wrote this much at school,

as seen by dougie macintyre

DENISE BAILEY Posted: Jul 3 2002, 09:52 AM

I dont think theres a way around banning kickboards now but whats wonderwall doing posing on the net

John Posted: Jul 6 2002, 02:24 PM

I for one would ban kickboards and half boards. Another advantage would be that the trap man could get the traps ready quicker for the next race maybee even closing the trap fronts and racers could then load from the rear. Dogs would soon get used to it after all they got used to the outside hare on the bends.

tanyia Posted: Jul 12 2002, 11:24 PM

I would ban kickboards, but who will make sure the clubs keep their trap floors in good condition. No SCREWS,NAIL sticking up to injure the dogs paws. Would the clubs take the time to ensure the trap floors are safe before an open?

pat/pete Posted: Aug 10 2002, 02:46 PM

Hi, yes I agree kickboards should be banned by all, and clubs should be made to keep all trap floors in good condition which i might add seems to be the norm , unless u all know different

ANOTHER THREAD

NEILPEM posted:

probably but if stopped i dont think it would make much diference to most results,but may reduce injuries, i do use them but would be quite happy not to.

kipper fluke Posted: Jan 6 2002, 10:27 PM

with regard to trapping i consider that dogs have to start at a very early age and have consistent practice ,as in anything practice makes perfect. We always raced without kick boards at Lancaster prior to Steve and Juilie Bateson getting Mr Ben as we were still racing rag dogs and in the process of changing to lure racing most dogs were large and trapped quite well without .Good as Gold visited the Lancaster track and never needed a board i also had a dog called 22 carat which could out trap most dogs by 3 or 4 yards without a board.I would also like Neil be quite happy to race without them now, providing of course that everyone else followed suit. Maybe the BWRA could organise a taster event for those of like mind.

sadieandco Posted: Jan 8 2002, 10:48 PM

We tend to agree with Neil & Steve. We don't think that with or without kickboards, the results would vary much.

We agree that there may be more injuries, due to kick boards and also they take up a lot of time, at the beginning of each race. Do we really need them ?

michelle Posted: Jan 8 2002, 10:56 PM

I have a little blue bitch whom im sure could almost out trap anything!! we used to race at preston and used prestons ramps, but she used to kick off so hard she used to snap them in two:shocked:, this cannot be safe for dogs, it would'nt bother me too much if they were banned, but as everyone says the older dogs may suffer it, but then maybe they won't:cheesy:

WELL I AM AMAZED AT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE AGAINST USEING KICK BOARDS, WHAT WOULD ANY OF YOU HAVE DONE IF YOU HAD A DOG THAT USED TO TRAP LIKE (CHLOE ) USED TO, WITHOUT AN ADAPTED KICK BOARD SHE WOULD NOT HAVE WON A RACE LETS HOPE YOU NEVER GET A DOG LIKE CHLOE (TRAPPING I MEAN ) ;) AS FOR DOGS PICKING UP INJURIES BY USEING BOARDS THE MAJORITY OF INJURIES IN MY OPINION ARE DONE AT THE RUNIN,AS FOR THE TRAP AREA CLUTTERED UP WITH BOARDS SURELY THATS UP TO THE OFFICIALS TO SORT OUT.THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ON THE MATTER BECAUSE WHATS DONE IS DONE IT CANT BE CHANGED TILL NEXT YEAR ??? IF ITS CHANGED AT ALL, ANYWAY GOT TO GO AND THINK OF SOME IDEA TO REPLACE MY BOARD.

if people are that bothered about the banning of sprigboards why didnt they go to the meeting

if people are that bothered about the banning of sprigboards why didnt they go to the meeting

I real car'nt see how they can ban something that was never voted in.

As long as the floors are all re-done on traps there should'nt be a problem with dogs slipping all over the floors... i can name at least 7 tracks that my dogs wont be racing at now unless the clubs are willing to apply proper flooring in there traps...you would'nt go to a greyhound stadium and expect your greyhound to run off a old splinted floor or a rubber one if it was wet.

But we will give it a try this year and see how it goes....just like the presention at championships this year that was real shit!!!

@j.r.n if people are that bothered about the banning of sprigboards why didnt they go to the meeting ...

Well some of us have more inportant thing going on in our lives at the moment....also what about people that car'nt afford it with xmas coming ...up i know i couple of people that wanted to go but it was the diffrents in a childs toy or a meeting about whippets (what would you chose??)

I hold my hands up i didn't attend but that was because it was my baby's christening, otherwise i would have been there putting in my vote. From what i can gather it was a well attended meeting with over 80 people, 80 people who will never all agree on something, so you can only go with what the majority vote in!!!!

thanks vicky its a pity more people didnt moan about something that was voted in by the majority. the people who were concerned about the future of the BWRA.

In my opinion we all care in one way or another what happens in whippet racing but one thing is for sure we will never share the same opinion but we should all be able to have our say. So in my opinion the only way to do this is to have the A.G.M on the straight championship weekend although not everyone would be there this would ensure maximum attendance. This could be done by proposals being lodged via regional secretarys two months before the A.G.M and all proposals made available to members via regional secretarys one month before the A.G.M then debated at the A.G.M. If this was not possible then the postal vote should be reinstated this should work after all we can vote for our M.P by post and the ballot box is only a few miles away not 10+ 50+ 100+ 200+ 300+ miles take your pick. Getting back to the topic its a bit like the outside lure on the bends the dogs will get used to it sooner rather than later.

Hi just how much do you expect a committee of five to do in one weekend :0 I dont see how an A.G.M could be fitted in with the straight champs. :( Not enough time in the morning or in the evening.

Unless the committee work round the clock ???

As for kickboards we all knew the ban would come one day soon.

THE REASON WHY I DIDN"T ATTEND THE MEETING IS BECAUSE I AM NOW UNEMPLOYED, WHIPPET RACING IS AN EXSPENSIVE HOBBY,ITS FAR CHEAPER TO PUT A STAMP ON AND POST YOUR VOTES INSTEAD OF HAVING PEOPLE WASTE TIME AND MONEY ON TRAVLEING 300+ MILES ROUND TRIP TO A MEETING, THATS WHY THE POSTAL VOTE SHOULD HAVE STAYED.

The point I was trying to make was how do we get as many members as possible involved in the decision making process. Maybe it is not possible to hold the A.G.M on the straight championship weekend but is it not at least worth a look. If it is not possible then in my opinion the postal vote should be brought back in. At least that way all the members can have a chance to vote on proposals as this year the decisions were made by less than 50% of the membership. Yes it is true that all the members could have attended the A.G.M if they so wished but there are many reasons why some members might not be able to attend so is it not reasonable to ask how we can maximise members involvment.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back