The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Trembling (another post-op question)

LinLin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Another post-op question -- I noticed this morning some slightly intermittent trembling in my collie's midsection (2nd day after surgery). It passed, but I've just seen it again, stronger than before.

Wondering what it might be? The room is being quite warm as per instruction from the vet (20C) so he wouldn't be cold. He's not distressed, just trembly and wanting to stay much closer physically than usual.

Any thoughts?

Trembling can be a sign of pain - is it when painkillers are wearing off?

My dog can be affected by the anaesthetic for a number of days after an op - he'll certainly be trembly for the first day (plus drooling, whining, having big scared bug eyes, and crying all night on the first night after :confused:). If the area where she is shaking is also the incision site, the nerve endings - to put it in medical terms - won't know what's going on. I think it's common for people to feel cold for a few hours after surgery, so you might want to try tweaking the heating up or snuggling her under a blanket.

Of course, if you're at all concerned, do give the vet a quick ring - they'll be more than happy to put your mind at rest.

Is she particularly skinny? Dogs with lower percentages of body fat take longer to clear the drugs from their system (at least, this is the case with sighthounds).

It could just be post-op stress. One of ours was very trembly after an eye operation. Sometimes trembling is the way they show distress. Obviously keep an open mind though and watch for any signs of physical discomfort.

Thanks, everyone. It's early days so and the trembling is near the incision, so we'll see how it is tomorrow.
Pain med is tramadol, and it happens mid-dose, not near when the next dose is due.
He's definitely not skinny and keeps moving out from under a blanket. Maybe it's just post-op stress and/or nerve endings confused.
Really appreciate all the support!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back