The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Triple distance

BeeJay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
There is a triple distance race at Gloucester (Club Pairs Trophies) on April 1st.  Can anyone give me more info about it?

Hi Barbara

I'm just replying because I can!!  I don't know about the 3 distances, but I would guess they'd be 50, 100, and 150yds.  Have fun - we may even come!

I expect there will be 3 rounds of racing each over a different distance like June suggests. Either 50, 100 & 150 or 100, 150 & 175.

The pairs bit just means that dogs will draw for partners before racing and add their points together at the end to find the highest scoring pair. They usually score 4 points for a 1st, 3 points for 2nd etc.

Barbara

I have a few snails too!  Perhaps we could pair them up and get the prize for the slowest time? :)

I  love my snails though, don't you? :biggrin:

Hi All,

With Nigel's wonderful new forum up and running, I just had to post something, and in following the thread regarding the upcoming triple race, I've come up with a question.  Here in Canada, we race under the Canadian Amatuer Racing Association rules, which allows for straight and oval racing.  Our straights are always 200 yds., and our ovals are 450 yds.  Could you explain the different catagories (distances) and are these set by a ruling race body for all clubs to follow, or does each club set its own distances?  

Hi Samantha

In the UK, the clubs decide on distances, normally 150, 160, 175, or 200yds straight, and 240yds bend.  I would like to see longer distances here, as we would then see who are the sprinters and who are the stayers.  The open distances are advertised in the racing publication Whippet News.  Our ruling body the Whippet Club Racing Association runs 4 Championships per year, and they set the distances for those - normally 2 straights 150yds, and 2 bends 240yds, although there has been some discussion of late about changing the distances.  Hope this hasn't confused you :confused:

Hi June,

thanks very much for the info, it is very interesting to see the different distances, some which seem very short but probably benefit younger dogs?  Do you have a specific race season?  I would love to visit England again and be able to attend some racing, I think it would be really interesting to compare the dogs from here and there.  Are there any other UK sites (other than individual kennels) with info on racing/coursing in England?  If not, you have to put up with all my silly questions :cheesy:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back