The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tullylish W.t.c Ni Champion Of Champions

Margaret Mc Stay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
While we enjoyed both shows last weekend, the weekend was tinged with a big disappointment for us. Our beautiful Whippet "Silver " won the Champion of Champions " at Newtownards Show " a month ago. The Tullylish W.T.C NI Champion of Champions decided the qualifying class would be held at the Donemana show on Sunday. I worked on " Silver all week previous to the show to have her looking and standing well for the judges on Sunday in the Champion of Champion s class, only to be told on arrival at Tullylish show that Whippets would not be included in the Champion of Champions. What a gunk, I just could not beleive it. I thought it was only a joke at first, but learned there and then they were dead serious.

We attend and support and pay our way into all the show, as do all our Whippet owner friends and take pride in our dogs.

We partake in the Whippet Classes as advertised by the show organisers, and pay our fees in the ring as do all our Whippet owner friends. If we are lucky on the day we may win our classes, as do our Whippet owner friends, but when we and our Whippet owner friends win our way to the Champion of Champions qualifer with our Whippets, because our dogs are born into the Whippets breed, they are not allowed to take part.

Tullylish, I think you need to wise up and smell the roses. This is total discrimination against the Whippet breed, and as these creatures are dumb animals, we in the Whippet fraternity here have to speak up for them. They are entitled to the same treatment as any other breed in the show who qualifies. Whippets race/hunt and show.

Why advertise classes at your show, when you know if a Whippet wins, they will not

qualify any further, yet Terriers, Lurchers and strong dogs can go all the way. Crazy and bitterley disappointed and aired my views to the organisers at the show on the day.

What is the rules in England at the qualifer, do they turn Whippets away to. Maybe our Whippet friends in England would enlighten us on this.

While we enjoyed both shows last weekend, the weekend was tinged with a big disappointment for us. Our beautiful Whippet "Silver " won the Champion of Champions " at Newtownards Show " a month ago. The Tullylish W.T.C NI Champion of Champions decided the qualifying class would be held at the Donemana show on Sunday. I worked on " Silver all week previous to the show to have her looking and standing well for the judges on Sunday in the Champion of Champion s class, only to be told on arrival at Tullylish show that Whippets would not be included in the Champion of Champions. What a gunk, I just could not beleive it. I thought it was only a joke at first, but learned there and then they were dead serious.
We attend and support and pay our way into all the show, as do all our Whippet owner friends and take pride in our dogs.

We partake in the Whippet Classes as advertised by the show organisers, and pay our fees in the ring as do all our Whippet owner friends. If we are lucky on the day we may win our classes, as do our Whippet owner friends, but when we and our Whippet owner friends win our way to the Champion of Champions qualifer with our Whippets, because our dogs are born into the Whippets breed, they are not allowed to take part.

Tullylish, I think you need to wise up and smell the roses. This is total discrimination against the Whippet breed, and as these creatures are dumb animals, we in the Whippet fraternity here have to speak up for them. They are entitled to the same treatment as any other breed in the show who qualifies. Whippets race/hunt and show.

Why advertise classes at your show, when you know if a Whippet wins, they will not

qualify any further, yet Terriers, Lurchers and strong dogs can go all the way. Crazy and bitterley disappointed and aired my views to the organisers at the show on the day.

What is the rules in England at the qualifer, do they turn Whippets away to. Maybe our Whippet friends in England would enlighten us on this.
the tullylish working terrier club are pleased to anounce that we will be holding a N.I CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WHIPPET class at our annual show next year, we look forward to all our whippet enthusiates continued support, j barry club sec

the tullylish working terrier club are pleased to anounce that we will be holding a N.I CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WHIPPET class at our annual show next year, we look forward to all our whippet enthusiates continued support, j barry club sec
A bit to late, whilst this is a start, it should of happened last Sunday. No reason why it should not of happened. I am really sickened by this. Thats closing the door when the horse has bolted. What an attitude.

Fair play to you John!! I for one appreciate that your club were the first to give whippets their own ring and judge, and for this year you also gave us whippet only simulated coursing with a perpetual shield. Yes, it was disappointing for Silver not to be able to qualify for the champions finals, but thanks to your club, this has now been rectified for next year.

Hope you have a great day next Saturday, you're obviously not going to heed my advice!!! :) :D :)

Janet

Hi Margaret

As you know at Ballywalter we have started to run 3 whippet classes and whippet champion although in england our club does not do this, we have a purebred class which is in the extra classes section, this is because in your beautiful country whippets seem to have far more of participation in shows. When you said you won the Champion of Champions at Newtownards did you mean that you won overall Champion on the field i.e. you beat the Champion lurcher and terrier because for our championship only the Lurcher champion would go through not the overall champion on the field. This I believe is the same with most championships over here. Many people take the view that if a lurcher is not allowed into a whippet championship then vice versa, but if that was the case then this should have been made clear to you at the time,as it must have been very disappointing for you having built your hopes up.

:luck: to you & John & your lovely dogs in the future

Sonia & Ian

Hi Margaret

As you know at Ballywalter we have started to run 3 whippet classes and whippet champion although in england our club does not do this, we have a purebred class which is in the extra classes section, this is because in your beautiful country whippets seem to have far more of participation in shows. When you said you won the Champion of Champions at Newtownards did you mean that you won overall Champion on the field i.e. you beat the Champion lurcher and terrier because for our championship only the Lurcher champion would go through not the overall champion on the field. This I believe is the same with most championships over here. Many people take the view that if a lurcher is not allowed into a whippet championship then vice versa, but if that was the case then this should have been made clear to you at the time,as it must have been very disappointing for you having built your hopes up.

:luck: to you & John & your lovely dogs in the future

Sonia & Ian
Thanks Sonia and Ian for your reply. Very interesting. Yes Silver won the Champion of Champions , Overall show. There were 3 dogs in the overall final, a Terrier/lurcher and Whippet, and Silver won. Maybe it is a good thing this fiasco happened last Saturday, because it has cleared the way for Whippets to partake at future Overall Championships if they qualify in Ulster, and probably further a field.

Regards

Margaret Mc Stay

Fair play to you John!! I for one appreciate that your club were the first to give whippets their own ring and judge, and for this year you also gave us whippet only simulated coursing with a perpetual shield. Yes, it was disappointing for Silver not to be able to qualify for the champions finals, but thanks to your club, this has now been rectified for next year.Hope you have a great day next Saturday, you're obviously not going to heed my advice!!! :) :D :)

Janet
thanks dukie

The rules are the same over here, all champions of champion final shows are just for lurchers, sussexlong dogs have an overall winner of lurchers, greyhounds, whippets and deerhounds either can win but if its a qualifier for a lurcher championship the purebreeds can't enter as it is at the end of the day lurcher championships purebreeds have there own champ and open shows, seeing by many of the posts many of you have whippets that dont kc show so mabe you coud get together and organise a champion of champion for all the whippet winners over the course of the year and have qualifiers at the lurcher shows just for whippets :thumbsup:

The rules are the same over here, all champions of champion final shows are just for lurchers, sussexlong dogs have an overall winner of lurchers, greyhounds, whippets and deerhounds either can win but if its a qualifier for a lurcher championship the purebreeds can't enter as it is at the end of the day lurcher championships purebreeds have there own champ and open shows, seeing by many of the posts many of you have whippets that dont kc show so mabe you coud get together and organise a champion of champion for all the whippet winners over the course of the year and have qualifiers at the lurcher shows just for whippets :thumbsup:
Thanks Debbie B, Yes we are thinking on Similar lines. I was only discussing that very same subject with some K9 friends at a show in Eniskillen today. A whippet Champion of Champions from all shows all over Ireland next summer which makes them a qualifer for an overall All Ireland Champion of Champions . Its time our Whippets got there place in society.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back