The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Undernourished lurcher puppy diet

Coota

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,
I'm new here, but really keen to get some advice on feeding our rescue lurcher puppy.
He's 7 months old, been with us for 3 months. He was starved as a tiny pup, and is lucky to be alive. I've been feeding him on Green Dog puppy kibble, but don't think it suits him. He's not putting on muscle and often has the squits. He often hurts his back legs just because he's not really strong enough for a normal lurcher lifestyle.
I'm getting so confused as to what to feed him, so would really love some advice please.

Peter-10-July-2016.jpg

IMG_6399.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest that you feed him some wet green tripe. This is a fantastic food and it may also help with the "squits" because it contains Lactic Acid Bacteria, also known as Lactobacillus Acidophilus, which is good intestinal bacteria. It is the main ingredient in probiotics.

He does not look too bad but maybe just a little more weight would be ok. (he is a running type dog, he does not need to be heavy! )

Last edited by a moderator:
Has he been vet checked? Just to make sure he is able to absorb his food and does not have any worm burden. A poo sample would be the best way to go to get an idea of what kind of worms, if any, he has. Food is wasted if it is feeding worms and they will damage the gut lining causing tummy upset problems.

Natural yoghurt is always a good standby for balancing upset tummies. Forti Flora is a stronger pro biotic if necessary.

Take his exercise slowly and build up distances gradually.

Thanks. Yes, he's been checked by the vets, several times. They're really not helpful when it comes to diet as they want him on the expensive vet diet plans.

Where would I find green tripe? Just a decent pet store?

I agree he's looking quite good, but he's still lacking the muscle so running is out for the moment. We're on short lead walks for now to help with muscle development

A few folk have suggested Chappie, but I will look for green tripe (tries not to heave at the thought!!) and I always have yoghurt in the fridge so that's a good addition.

I might get the vets to do a worm check - he does eat some disgusting things!

Difficult keeping him quiet as I have another, more sturdy lurcher, and a very long garden which just invites them to run!

Google wet green tripe and see what you can find in your area.

Good pet stores with freezers should be able to supply frozen green tripe but the frozen blocks and "freeflow" are very often squeezed and a lot of their good juices are squeezed out.

"They Love it" and "Landywoods" are two that I can suggest for a good Wet Green Tripe! I am sure there are loads of others that will supply it too.

"They love it" prices include delivery.

Enjoy the smell!! Haha.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back