The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Unusual Feeding Habits

footheblue

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can anyone help?

We have 2 cute Cavalier King Charles, that are in excellent health and bundles of joy. they are 1 year old and brothers.

Now our problem arises when it comes to feeding times. One of them (Charlie) eats as a dog should, but the other (Bertie) behaves very strangely.

Instead of getting stuck into his meal, he seems to adopt a defensive, guarding posture next to his bowl whilst looking jealously at his brother eating away. At times Bertie will try to intimidate Charlie away from his food. The behaviour is at its worst when Bertie will give up completely, retire to his bed and not eat at all.

We are concerned that Charlie will eat too much and it is getting more difficult to get Bertie to eat.

Can anyone explain this behaviour or offer us any help?

They are currently eating Pedigree wet and dry (mixed).

Thanks guys

i agree feed them in different rooms mate

I would agree with feeding them as far apart as pos. Someone fed in a crate or something. I have a whippet who growls from whenever her food is put down till she is finished and she's always last finished because of her behaviour. Something has made it necessary for her to protect her food. Your cavi sounds a bit like this. Try to remove his perceived threat, i.e. his need to protect, and hopfully he will feel safe enough to eat. :luck:

Ditto to what everyone else has said. Feed in different rooms or at least opposite sides of the room :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back