The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Update on troubled dog, so much improvemrnt

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
At risk of confusing you more over body language, you might want to have a read of this thread: Body Language The main thing, I think, is to spend time just observing dogs and in time you get to 'read' them (though even people who claim to be experts can be clueless).

And don't worry too much about seemingly odd, inconsistent behaviour. Sometimes dogs (and humans) can almost have a sort of flashback, a strong memory of how something had scared them in the past - think of a war vet diving under a table when they hear a car backfire. Sometimes this response can disappear in time, but sometimes it just becomes a lot less frequent. Plus, some dogs can be just plain inscruitable. I can't read my friends' lurcher at all, and he pretty much blanks me (and everyone else apart from his owners) even though he's well used to me.

Thanks for that Hemlock, always concerned about the differing views of various websites, will certainly look at what you have suggested

At risk of confusing you more over body language, you might want to have a read of this thread: Body Language The main thing, I think, is to spend time just observing dogs and in time you get to 'read' them (though even people who claim to be experts can be clueless).

And don't worry too much about seemingly odd, inconsistent behaviour. Sometimes dogs (and humans) can almost have a sort of flashback, a strong memory of how something had scared them in the past - think of a war vet diving under a table when they hear a car backfire. Sometimes this response can disappear in time, but sometimes it just becomes a lot less frequent. Plus, some dogs can be just plain inscruitable. I can't read my friends' lurcher at all, and he pretty much blanks me (and everyone else apart from his owners) even though he's well used to me.

Thanks Judy, will keep a closer eye on her more, but do struggle to understand what she does sometimes. It is still early days so I think I can expect more improvement, at least I hope so

One minute she will be playing and tugging on the end of one of her toys with me, next minute she just stops, goes to her bed with tail between her legs, buries her head and wont look at me

This is pure guesswork. But I wonder if she is starting to have fun, then suddenly remembers she is scared. Does that make sense?

If I'm right (and I may not be) I'd expect her to play more and hide less as she learns she is safe and not in trouble.

Thanks Hanne, you are so right about the help on here. I have so much more to learn, but then so has Biddy. She has not been socialized with other dogs and past few years not seen many people either.
She gets excited to see other dogs but panics when they come close to her, poor little mite I do not think she knows what to do, seems to want to make friends but scared at the same time. She has improved though especially with one of my friends dogs
Hopefully will keep making progress
My dog (a cao de castro laboreiro) had not been trained or socialized either, she was 7 months old and had never been inside a house, been walked on a lead or anything. She had been spending all her time with her siblings in a back yard, they were taken for frequent walks in a forest were they could run free and were given proper food and always had acces to water. She was extremely scared of other dogs (that were not her siblings). What really helped was to make her feel safe in the house and garden with us and be able to relax (she never rested more than a few minutes the first weeks, she kept pacing)...

You are both right, I think she needs more time
She obviously feels safer here but still shows some bizarre behaviour sometimes. I do not even have to do anything and she can go from tail at half mast, fairly happy to tail between legs and cowering and hiding
She must be remembering things I suppose
Hopefully she will eventually accept that she is safe and secure and is not going to be abandoned again

One minute she will be playing and tugging on the end of one of her toys with me, next minute she just stops, goes to her bed with tail between her legs, buries her head and wont look at me

My only input on this particular scenario is remembering that she has her wisdom tooth problem/pain, she may well be enjoying the game, then it may just hurt, like an electric shock possibly, and so she reacts to the pain by suddenly stopping, going to bed and hiding her head...just a thought...
(I have an impacted wisdom tooth that has been on the move recently and it has been incredibly painful right along my lower jaw, so I can relate!:()

That could definitely be the problem Flobo or at the very least contributing to it.
I did ask the vet if it could cause her problems by me delaying op for a couple weeks till she gained more confidence but she said it would not be a problem, but then, the teeth are in Biddys mouth not hers
I have still got painkiller left from when she was having treatment for an abscess, I might put a bit on her food tonight and again in the morning and see if it makes any difference
She is still a very anxious and nervous little dog but at least the fast breathing, staring eyes and the continual licking of her lips has stopped, and she is definitely much more relaxed at home than at the beginning

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back