The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Urgent Advice Needed - Dog Attack

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Very to hear what happen to your sister Ann :( ...............i hope she gets better soon,and what ever is decided is for the best :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I,ve been badly bitten in the past when i was two years old not by a terrier but a collie,a farm collie,on my right side of my face, i can remember it very well.

I would say not to give up on him or give him away (he has already been given away once) and state your autority in the house, put him in his place and show him who is boss, Grab him by the scruff, pin him to the floor with your hand over his mouth and bit him back....it sounds cruel but it works and it is how a pack would behave.

Sorry, I really don't want to hijack this very sad thread into a discussion of training methods but I feel I have to respond to this. I wouldn't do this to any dog ever in any circumstances, and in this case and with this dog I think it would be positively dangerous.

Awww Ann how awful,x thinking of you and your sister, and her dilemma :( , Im sure the vet will give her very good advise and help her to make the right decision,xx I also concur with Fee Fee, not the way to go in this situation, thinking of you both,x

I would say not to give up on him or give him away (he has already been given away once) and state your autority in the house, put him in his place and show him who is boss, Grab him by the scruff, pin him to the floor with your hand over his mouth and bit him back....it sounds cruel but it works and it is how a pack would behave.

Sorry, I really don't want to hijack this very sad thread into a discussion of training methods but I feel I have to respond to this. I wouldn't do this to any dog ever in any circumstances, and in this case and with this dog I think it would be positively dangerous.

I agree, the worst thing to do to an unpredictably aggressive dog is to pin it.

I'm really sorry about your sister but I personally wouldn't automatically have the dog PTS, I would have the vet run bloods etc to be sure nothing sinister is going on..if he is medically ok, I would certainly separate him from contact with the children for the time being and I would consult a behaviorist too.

One question though. it puzzles me that your sister lay on the floor ?( i might be misunderstanding you lol, it happens)but I just think if she did, then the dog possibly thought she was acting like wounded prey and that is why he attacked further.

I have to agree as well. I have a dog who I feel would react violently to being pinned, resulting in injury. It's a tough decision but I feel the safety of the children has to be your sister's priority. Passing the dog on is potenitally passing the problem on, like a time bomb.

What an awful situation, I really feel for your sister. having read the description of the attack I'm afraid I would have no hesitation in having him put to sleep. Normally I would suggest a vet check, then a strict 'Nothing In Life is Free' regime, but only if it had been a snap and not the attack you describe. I definitely would not keep this dog in a house with young children and I wouldn't feel happy rehoming him either :(

Edited after reading the other replies, I'm a dog lover and have rescued and rehabilitated several difficult dogs but I don't have any kids to consider. Personally I think the safety of people, children particularly, must always come first. Yes your sister could keep this dog caged but how realistic is this? Kids are active for what, about 14 hours a day? It's certainly not fair to cage a dog that long. Also you have to consider if she could EVER trust him around the kids? I'm in no doubt that PTS is the safest option here, and lets face it the dog won't know anything about it, He'll simply drift off to sleep in his owners arms. It's your sister I feel sorry for in all of this not the dog, she's been through a terrible ordeal and now has a very tough decision to make.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have to agree as well. I have a dog who I feel would react violently to being pinned, resulting in injury. It's a tough decision but I feel the safety of the children has to be your sister's priority. Passing the dog on is potenitally passing the problem on, like a time bomb.
Im just saying how the alfa of a pack would behave and how i would deal with it (after learning from a dog trainer)....like i said this is want i have done and its always worked for me.

Sorry for giving my opinion....i wont bother next time.

Hope your sister is ok and everything works out for her Ann :))

Im just saying how the alfa of a pack would behave and how i would deal with it (after learning from a dog trainer)....like i said this is want i have done and its always worked for me.

Sorry for giving my opinion....i wont bother next time.

Hope your sister is ok and everything works out for her Ann :))
I feel like I need one of those little head above parapet smileys :S

But having recently attended a lecture given by Shaun Ellis, the 'Wolfman', and chatted with him afterwards, I can tell you that it is a common misnomer that this is how an Alpha dog behaves. It is actually the Beta that is the muscle in the pack and the Alpha the brains. If you want your dog to perceive you as Alpha then you need to outwit him not resort to force ... force may well work but in the dogs eyes that puts you in the Beta position and he can become confused as to who exactly the Alpha is, resulting in further problems. This is also one of a number of reasons why behaving in this way with an unpredicatable and/or agressive dog is generally counterproductive if not downright dangerous.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Shaun Ellis's lectures if you are trying to gain a better understanding of pack mentality and how to make it work for you.

Ducking back behind my parapet now :)

Thank you all for your input, i have passed over all your points

of views to my sister and it has helped in a very upsetting

situation having some other opinions.

But she took the heartbreaking choice of having Toby PTS,

he has been buried today facing the chicken's who he would

chase about, if he could do it without being seen.

Sleep peacefully Toby will all miss you jumping about the place

all day x

toby1.jpg

toby2.jpg

Run free, little Toby xxx

I am so sorry, Ann :huggles:

Please let your sister know that I really do feel for her - it is a heartbreaking decision to have had to make :(

They are lovely pictures xxx

Aww how terribly sad, your poor sister, what a terrible situation for her, I hope her wounds are healing, I fear the physical may be a lot quicker than the mental

She has done whats best for Toby and for everyone though, and should feel no guilt at all

RIP Toby, enjoy chasing chickens x

Please pass my very best wishes on to your sister. That must have been a very heartbreaking thing to do but the only thing to do IMO.

I'm so sorry for your sister but it was the right thing to do :(

If he had bitten one of the children she would never have forgiven herself :(

So sorry,

I think that your sister has done the right thing. Much better that he went peacefully with an owner he loved (despite what he did) than be caged for saftey's sake or put up for another adoption.

RIP little man

I hope that your sister recovers from her wounds quickly and fully accepts that the decision she made was the kindest thing to do.

She did all she could and Toby had a wonderful happy home for 18 months. I am just so sorry for your sister and her children who must be very traumatised by this.

I am so sorry your sister had to make such a heartbreaking decision. Toby is at peace now, I hope your sister and her son are OK :huggles:

So sorry that your sister had to make such a heartbreaking decision, but she shouldn't feel any guilt. She gave Toby a lovely home for 18 months and she has done what is best for all concerned.

RIP little Toby. :huggles: :huggles:

Very brave Lady your sister, she made the right decision. She would never have forgiven herself if she had kept Toby and he bit a child.

It is far better to PTS an untrustworthy dog than re-home again. This is what I have seen the RSPCA do.

Give your sister my condolences. I have had to do the same thing a long time ago. R.I.P. Toby. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Run free little man :wub: And my further best wishes to your sister Ann :flowers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back