The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Usa Dogs In British Racing

stark

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi ,

im compiling some whippet info for my web page , and wonderd if anyone can tell me if any whippets from america have won races over here and exactly how well american dogs do over here if in fact there are any at all

also if anyone can help , how do british dogs do in the US racing seen if there are any

thanks

john

Hi John

I'd be amazed if there had actually been any US BRED dogs raced in the UK, let alone being brought over specifically to race - which is what I think you are suggesting.

The obstacles in the past have been this country's quarantine laws and the fact that - in pedigree racing anyway - there is a weight and height limit which could well prove a big problem for the generally bigger US dogs.

And of course there is no monetary incentive, as pedigree whippet racing is free from gambling and prize money.

There is a lady who frequents this board who is planning to either import a pup, or breed from a US bred dog (sorry but can't remember her name ATM) but I'm pretty sure there is nothing in our past history to suggest it has already been done.

There have been UK bred dogs that have gone to the US on a permanent basis (owners emigrated) and have had some success but no great numbers. Now that the UK has relaxed it's quarantine rules a bit, there MAY be more cases of British whippets going to Europe to race in the future, but I haven't heard of any yet.

Good luck with your website :)

btw - it's SCENE not seen :teehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
IanGerman said:
Hi John
I'd be amazed if there had actually been any US BRED dogs raced in the UK, let alone being brought over specifically to race - which is what I think you are suggesting. 

The obstacles in the past have been this country's quarantine laws and the fact that - in pedigree racing anyway - there is a weight and height limit which could well prove a big problem for the generally bigger US dogs.

And of course there is no monetary incentive, as pedigree whippet racing is free from gambling and prize money.

There is a lady who frequents this board who is planning to either import a pup, or breed from a US bred dog (sorry but can't remember her name ATM) but I'm pretty sure there is nothing in our past history to suggest it has already been done.

There have been UK bred dogs that have gone to the US on a permanent basis (owners emigrated) and have had some success but no great numbers.  Now that the UK has relaxed it's quarantine rules a bit, there MAY be more cases of British whippets going to Europe to race in the future, but I haven't heard of any yet.

Good luck with your website :)

btw - it's SCENE not seen  :teehee:

From whay I can gather a dog bred by Terry and Sheila Smith went over to the states and ended up a US champion. This is just what I've been told by a friend, maybe Terry could confirm/correct me and provide further info. Greeny's sent a dog to Germany and that is also doing very well.

Regards,

Scott.

From whay I can gather a dog bred by Terry and Sheila Smith went over to the states and ended up a US champion. This is just what I've been told by a friend, maybe Terry could confirm/correct me and provide further info.

Don't know where that one came from!! We've never sent a dog to the states. Could it have been Terry Turner? Last brit pedi racer I heard of over there was Goodad breeding though others may have gone more recently.

Terry Smith

Terry & Sheila Smith said:
From whay I can gather a dog bred by Terry and Sheila Smith went over to the states and ended up a US champion. This is just what I've been told by a friend, maybe Terry could confirm/correct me and provide further info.

Don't know where that one came from!! We've never sent a dog to the states. Could it have been Terry Turner? Last brit pedi racer I heard of over there was Goodad breeding though others may have gone more recently.

Terry Smith

We've just taken in a bitch that Jacqui Norman bred Terry, not seen the ped but she mentioned this to me. Maybe we crossed wires or she got the wrong surname? :b

Howdy,

Haven't been on K9 for a few months. Didn't we have this discussion back then?

There have been a number of dogs from the UK that have done well in the USA most notably the Besaps dogs back in the 1980's. These dogs now appear in most US racing pedigrees and would not be granted WCRA passports if they were exported to the UK according to the WCRA registrar because of their murky past from the UK. Other sussessful race bred dogs from Europe, inported into the US and used in breeding race dogs fall into the same catagory. The UK has virtually a closed shop when it comes to including quality racing lines into UK racing Whippets. The odd thing to me is that all the "banned" lines for racing are perfectly well accepted in the show ring on both sides of the Atlantic.

The only fairly recent import from UK racing lines into the US was a failure on the track. Of course it's quite likely that the dog would have been a failure in it's country of origin too! How do you tell?

Size could also be a problem with US Whippets but there are some successful racers that would measure/weigh in in the UK.

Hannah from Strike Whippets would know more about how things stand vis a vis acceptability of pedigrees by the WCRA.

Here's a question for you. Is the WCRA racing the only game in town? If you imported a dog is there anywhere it COULD compete?

Terry Smith

Hannah from Strike Whippets would know more about how things stand vis a vis acceptability of pedigrees by the WCRA.
Here's a question for you. Is the WCRA racing the only game in town? If you imported a dog is there anywhere it COULD compete?

I personally don't think the WCRA will except ANY Americn racing pedigree's, but show one's should be ok as long as you have had nothing what so ever to do with them Tony ;) ...............As for other racing organisations, there are 2 independent track's who as far as I know except any kc reg's Whippet for trials/competition, and there are the sporting champ's where again you don't need a WCRA passport to compete,..........but as people are so frightened of change then I could imagine what would happen if an imported dog who met all of the correct standards actually competed :blink: , esspecially if the import was fast :eek: .......shock horror, there would be an out cry of cheating etc .........(this is of course if the dog was actually not banned befor it was old enough to race :- " ).........On a positive note though it's handy running and being a race manager of your local club 8) .........and the import would be able to compete at the lure coursing clubs :thumbsup: ............So all we need now is a nice Black bitch bred however and let the games begin :D

............So all we need now is a nice Black bitch bred however and let the games begin :D

Stand by! I'll see what I can do.

Every year for at least the past ten my bitches always broke in April. It's almost July and still no signs!! Can't think what's going on. They came in late last Dec., but had expect it to be a madhouse around here about the middle of June.

All the whippets live outside and usually come in with the seasons.

It's been an odd year weather wise. A mild winter with almost no snow. A wet cool spring.

The grass is much taller and thicker than usual so we are expecting a horendous fire season.

California and Arizona are already off to a good start! :rant: Thousands of acres burned up and quite a few houses.

:eek: that's terrible, what with fire's, volcano's etc .......sounds like a frightening place to live :blink: ..........The seasons are changing so much now, Inca was 4 weeks late coming in and Miya's 7 weeks late now with no sign of breaking :wacko:

Strike Whippets said:
:eek: that's terrible, what with fire's, volcano's etc .......sounds like a frightening place to live :blink: ..........The seasons are changing so much now, Inca was 4 weeks late coming in and Miya's 7 weeks late now with no sign of breaking :wacko:

Not too bad really. At the moment the fires are a long way off. About 1000 miles actually. The volcano isn't a problem. If it flares up again we'll just chuck another virgin into the hole!! The difficult part is finding one. (w00t)

It's getting late for me to be breeding this summer. I like pups on the ground about now. If I'm able to breed anything in July it will be October before I can ship them out. First time this has happened in 25 years. Must be global warming or George Bush's fault. Lets see. You bloke Blair was just over here. No wonder things are screwed up!!! :rant:

LOL .......Yes Blair has a lot to answer for :angry: ...........Next year will be fine for a pup as it'll give me time to save up, plus we're just thinking of moving in the not to distant future (well I need more room for more Whippets :D )

tlewis said:
............So all we need now is a nice Black bitch bred however and let the games begin :D

So do tell Tony, who are you breeding???

Poeta said:
tlewis said:

So do tell Tony, who are you breeding???

Bisto to Tux =Black

Ily to Walker = Black

Cody to Croc = Black

And I'm already sick of black dogs. Can't tell one from tuther at fifty yards!

OR I may just take this year off.

Tony.

Say_What.JPG

Say_What.JPG

And I'm already sick of black dogs

No you can never be sick of black dog's :D .......but I guess any colour's fine, but black is obviously the best ;) ........Say What look's very nice btw :*

Black mask red brindles .......Yep I can go with one of them aswell :D ......Soho looks nice ....... :thumbsup:

Hi, I'm in Australia so please excuse me cause I dont know the rules in UK & USA but I cant understand about the WCRA ( what is that anyway) not allowing imported pedigree whippets to race. Why wouldn't they? I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, it's not my intention.

Linda

Hi, I'm in Australia so please excuse me cause I dont know the rules in UK & USA but I cant understand about the WCRA ( what is that anyway) not allowing imported pedigree whippets to race. Why wouldn't they? I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, it's not my intention.

Linda

Well it's a long story and has been well aired so don't think you would be opening any can's of worms. The theme was well covered a while back so you can probably find most of it in a search on K9.

To put it very briefly most successful race bred dogs from the USA have been banned by the Whippet Club Racing Association in the UK because they were banned by a tiny organization in the USA going under the name of The Continental Whippet Aliance. Actually I think they are almost extinct now!

Racing in the USA is governed my three pedigree organizations, WRA, NAWRA and NOTRA which accept all pedigree registered whippets regardless of their breeding.

Dogs from mainland Europe which trace their pedigrees back to some dogs that had non peds in their background would also not be accepable to the WCRA although they are four or five generations back at least.

There are no restrictions between the USA and Europe. Few dogs have come from the UK in the last twenty five years to the USA to race successfully as they, for one reason or another have not been competitive. Some of the European dogs have done well and were used in US breeding programs and US dogs are just now appearing in Europe with success.

That's longer than I intended, but that's it in a nutshell.

Of course the whys and wherefores could go on forever!! ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back