The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vaccinations

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our boosters cost £19 ........but I only have the puppy jabs done, then a first year booster :) ........

*Lesley* said:
On first jab time I pay£60 per dog (was£50 when i got callie and sienna) and get boosters free for rest of their lives from vets4pets, so in theory I only pay for 2 boosters for each dog and the rest are free :thumbsup:
When I first went for boosters I thought there must be a catch maybe you pay for consultation but no they got their jabs all checked over checked to make sure microchip was in place cost nothing at all :D

With 4 dogs that is a hefty saving

Huge savings there. That's brilliant lesley. :thumbsup:

mazza said:
Each vaccination costs me £31.50.
Didn't get Alfie's yearly booster done last year, but had him done this year.

Because he missed last years jab meant he had to have the initial jab again costing me £63.00 for the two injections. So I didn't gain a thing by skipping a year. At that time I had recently bought Annie and thought I should get him up to date with his innoculations, I didn't want to risk either of them getting ill.

I do wonder if boosters are really necessary, or just a very easy money earner for vets.  :unsure:

Does anyone know on K9 what the chances are of an adult dog falling victim to the diseases if boosters are not given.

I don't know what the chances are of them coming down with anything,but we recently moved house and changed vets (the main reason being because of what I posted earlier regarding price) and our new vet who's really nice actually told us not to bother with the boosters.He said they really were unessecary and mostly they are just a precaution. So we don't give boosters anymore,and our lot are all fine :D

Mazza, I wish I could answer your question about the likelihood of a dog contracting a disease if unvaccinated. It depends so much on the prevalence of disease in the area. Affluent areas with high numbers of vaccinated dogs, or areas where there are low numbers of dogs around would have lower levels of disease. Anecdotally, lower-income areas where there are quite often lots of dogs but very few are vaccinated tend to have higher levels of disease. Factors such as tourism, when 'strange' dogs congregate in certain areas can also increase the risks.

The only problem is that by not vaccinating your own dog, you end up relying on everyone else to do it. Make no mistake, these diseases are still around. They would be something we were all familiar with had vaccination not been so widespread in the last few years.

As for boosters, I don't know. I do my own because I'd feel hypocritical if I didn't (and they get kennelled!). But I do discuss this openly with any client who is concerned about boostering - modern thinking in practice is that much like worming, vaccine regimes should be designed for the individual animal, rather than prescribed in blanket fashion. :))

mazza said:
*Lesley* said:
On first jab time I pay£60 per dog (was£50 when i got callie and sienna) and get boosters free for rest of their lives from vets4pets, so in theory I only pay for 2 boosters for each dog and the rest are free :thumbsup:
When I first went for boosters I thought there must be a catch maybe you pay for consultation but no they got their jabs all checked over checked to make sure microchip was in place cost nothing at all :D

With 4 dogs that is a hefty saving

Huge savings there. That's brilliant lesley. :thumbsup:

It's great isn't and the lucky thing for me too is the vets and nurses are great with them so I'm happy to go for all treatment, I suppose it's a good way of keeping custom but who cares :thumbsup:

1 weeks time I'll be paying my next £60 for Kane + main jabs no wonder I'm always skint :lol:

£20.21 today with a quick check over, free flea jollop, wormer and a packet of puppy iams! can i be smug now? :- " this was in coventry

I think we paid about £32 for the 1st set of jabs, i'm 2 faced though, i have my jabs done at one vets and my dogs treated at another. The cheap jabs are up the road from me and my own proper vet is 20mins away, so i use the one on my doorstep, the other charges £50 for the initial jabs.

I dont have any of them boostered.

ILoveKettleChips said:
Mazza, I wish I could answer your question about the likelihood of a dog contracting a disease if unvaccinated.  It depends so much on the prevalence of disease in the area.  Affluent areas with high numbers of vaccinated dogs, or areas where there are low numbers of dogs around would have lower levels of disease.  Anecdotally, lower-income areas where there are quite often lots of dogs but very few are vaccinated tend to have higher levels of disease.  Factors such as tourism, when 'strange' dogs congregate in certain areas can also increase the risks. 
The only problem is that by not vaccinating your own dog, you end up relying on everyone else to do it.  Make no mistake, these diseases are still around.  They would be something we were all familiar with had vaccination not been so widespread in the last few years.

As for boosters, I don't know.  I do my own because I'd feel hypocritical if I didn't (and they get kennelled!).  But I do discuss this openly with any client who is concerned about boostering - modern thinking in practice is that much like worming, vaccine regimes should be designed for the individual animal, rather than prescribed in blanket fashion.  :))

I agree the first jabs are absolutely essential, it's the booster jabs that I was unsure about.

Yes I agree shop around...... you don't go out and buy the first TV you see do you?

I rung around all the vets for prices then went to the cheapest..... does everyone get their dogs boosted every year?

Do we have boosters every year?

apparently there is a blood test?????? to see what levels of immunity the animal has........... or am I barking up the wrong tree. Pardon the pun!

snapdogs said:
apparently there is a blood test?????? to see what levels of immunity the animal has........... or am I barking up the wrong tree. Pardon the pun!
Yes, it's possible to take blood samples from dogs to see what level of antibodies to specific diseases are present. This is all very well, but it's expensive and as yet I'm unconvinced that there's a reliable correlation between titres (antibody levels) and actual in vivo situations - that is, whether the lab results actually give that much reassurance that a dog is protected.

Having said this, titres are a large part of the research on which vaccination intervals is based! Although there are also live challenge studies done, I do wonder sometimes how relevant titres are to real field immunity.

i always used to use nobivac cos id seen the field trial studies done at michael quinneys adoram kennels over 20 years ago.dobes and rotts just didnt get the same level of immunity as other breeds cos of maternal antibody interference.they brought out nobivac with a lot of publicity showing titre level studies before nobivac and after.when dobes an rotts were vaccinated with normal live vaccine their titre levels were poor,after injecting with nobivac they went sky high even in dogs who had previously registered extremely poor titre levels.so that convinced me and i always used nobivac after that.ive had dobes die of parvo and it not a pretty sight i can tell you,they just give up and die,they wont fight it.its a terrible disease. :( i can remember the days when they used a cat entiritis injection cos that was all they had.

A few of my friends use the homoeopathic nosodes on their dogs and they are fine. A few years ago I decided to start using them on Hebe. I'd made the appointment at the vets and then a dog 5 doors away (who had only missed one booster) died of parvo. I phoned the h'pathic vet and he advised me that if there was parvo so close to home to have the traditional vacc done. I've stuck to this ever since. As my dogs come into contact with so many other dogs in my job and at shows I just don't want to risk it.

clairej810 said:
lalena said:
clairej810 said:
We pay around £30 for boosters in Market Harborough, in Leicestershire, don't know about first jabs.
you live near my brother in law (w00t) hes in oakham!

We actually live in Leicester but travel to Mkt Harborough to see our vet because he is so good, it's only abbout 15 miles.

i love the old, yellow buildings round there, but night driving between those villages, what with the hills (soft southerner here, lol) etc is scary :sweating: no matter how often we do that journey, still freaks me out :b

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back