The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Very Warm Paw After Toe Break...

~elizabeth~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

just wondered if any of you racing folks could throw light on this?

Our dog broke/dislocated his toe in March, and has been out of plaster for about 2 weeks now. He is walking very happily on the affected paw now, no sign of pain, limping etc, but it does feel very hot in comparison with the other foot.

Have spoken to our (greyhound) vet, who doesn't think it's anything to worry about. He says he can't explain it, but says it might be a rare inflammatory side effect of the leg having been in plaster. It's the inside toe that was affected, but the heat can be felt over the whole foot, and up to the pastern. We bathe it with cold epsoms salt poultice regularly, esp. after walking (10 min lead strolls, twice a day).

I wondered if it might partly be due to the muscles starting to build up again? :unsure:

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Elizabeth

I can't really think of an explanation apart from prehaps hes sooo pleased to see his foot again, that its being over cleaned and licked = the warmer foot :blink: :b ......... Glad hes on the mend though :thumbsup:

Strike Whippets said:
...over cleaned and licked...
The concept of any bit of my dog being licked over clean :wacko: :lol: boys! :- " :b

Might be right - he did lick it fairly constantly the first couple of days, infact we were told to keep him under observation at all times just after it came off, as they can sometimes get carried away and gnaw half their foot off (w00t) :x

It's been cooler for most of today, hope it was just a phase.

It doesn't sound right tome. Other than an infection I can't think what would cause heat in it. I would keep an eye on it.

Sorry, I know thats not much help but at least the vet seems to think its OK and its getting cooler. :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooler again today thankfully.

Judy said:
It doesn't sound right tome. Other than an infection I can't think what would cause heat in it. I would keep an eye on it.
Thanks, that's what I wondered. We're back in a couple of days for another check, so I'll ask again then; don't want to seem over anxious but I am a bit concerned about it. They seem quite keen to keep an eye on it which is reassuring.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back