The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vet care too expensive?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
she smells horribly unpleasant and strong.
Is the smell coming from her skin, ears, mouth or her bottom? If it's her skin, does she have skin folds (like a pug or bulldog)?

Can you describe the smell? What did the vet think when you saw them?

Interestingly a few years ago I had a spaniel that used to stay with me. She had had this awful smell about her for a few months, been back and forth to the vets, had a dental done, had check overs and no solution found... when she stayed with me I was fussing her one eve and checking around her mouth(the smell was quite intense and smelt like infection to me) and I found the source! Spaniels have little skin flaps on their lower jaw and behind one of the flaps it was badly infected! Off to the vets the next day and with a course of treatment she was all good again and no smell. The owner was much relieved and even though the vets tried to charge her she refused to pay as she'd been back and forth (and paid for an unnecessary dental)and they had not found the infection... worryingly!! The nurse I saw for the checks whilst she was still with me said spaniels were prone to this, so why didn't the vets find it??

I just wanted to mention this to emphasise what @JoanneF is asking...

Wow, that's expensive. Yes, something needs to be done about the industry, it really does price gouge.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back