The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vets ++++++++yd/lb/2ft/lb/1/2yd/lb Opens

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
At the end of then day there isnt any one format better than the other... for example we have a 32lber which 2ft would suit and we got a 16lber that yd lb suits so to be honest i think leave things be... we'll all run in where and what we want

yd a lbs or 2 ft a lb its a comp and you choose the race to suit your dog as with opens. pops ran 8.53 over 150 yds on saturday with a banged up toe baghera ran 8.20 on a good fast track, dont tell me 2 ft a lb will even up things, pops is 6yrs and 8 months and always runs a damd good time in most cases as fast as the open class dogs and bitches around her weight on the streights and the bends. why not get a dalmation

:eek: peter whinnie skippit :eek:

yd a lbs or 2 ft a lb its a comp and you choose the race to suit your dog as with opens. pops ran 8.53 over 150 yds on saturday with a banged up toe baghera ran 8.20 on a good fast track, dont tell me 2 ft a lb will even up things, pops is 6yrs and 8 months and always runs a damd good time in most cases as fast as the open class dogs and bitches around her weight on the streights and the bends. why not get a dalmation:eek: peter whinnie skippit :eek:
there you go pops 8.53 at 25? our roddy 29/30 would have to break 8.2 to get near (baghera times) (w00t) be very happy if he did 8.53 if i had to choose my races he would be retired. he does his best and thats all you can ask for. we do compete but dont expect to win ,not every one has winners we just enjoy the sport.

what h/w vet can do that or any H/w sun prince might get close or the new kid in the h/w freddies melody :- :thumbsup:

pops is flying in the vets think she is running as good as she has ever run,cracking little bitch :luck: :luck:

can you get a l/w dalmation,might get a few more spots off our time (w00t)

Back to David and his question-What happened to the sex allowance?

I would be very interested to hear some comments that would justify Veteran Dogs having to run on equal terms with bitches ?

How on earth when a dog reaches the age of five is it going to by some miricale be able to run on these terms when for five of its prime years it could not? its no secret that bitches are faster ---so what changes that ? at the age of five and over?

steve

I would be very interested to hear some comments that would justify Veteran Dogs having to run on equal terms with bitches ?

How on earth when a dog reaches the age of five is it going to by some miricale be able to run on these terms when for five of its prime years it could not? its no secret that bitches are faster ---so what changes that ? at the age of five and over?

steve
glad someone seen my point. :thumbsup:

nobodys answered what 30+ has won the 2 big ones????????

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually think you could say the same of 15/16/17 lightweights not many win at yd unless outstanding (same as occasional outstanding h/w) so at 2ft or 1/2yd then little ones would stand even less chance. How about staggered handicaps - not that i seriously think that would ever come about ;) Or lets all try to breed m/w flyers ( i live in hope !!!) joke not knocking you with the big ens !!!!! :eek:

best bet buy a scratch dog no start and no sex allowance ;)

steve
spot on karren i wish thay would get back to the question WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SEX ALLOWANCE thanks

steve
spot on karren i wish thay would get back to the question WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SEX ALLOWANCE thanks

Any information on this will be welcomed --

steve

Any information on this will be welcomed --

steve

Can i just ask as a relative newbie to this game

why dont dogs get yds start off bitches, if its is recorded and officially

recongnised that bithches are faster than dogs

seams a bit unfair in a "handicap system"

not griping honest just like to know these things

our dog (fast n Furious) regulally gets to finanls and always has to give

lumps of distance away and usaually gets mudered in finals

seams a bit unfair.

i always thought the idea behind handicaping was to try to get all dogs to cross the line together

if im wrong, sorry as a newbie for my ignorance

Steve

Can i just ask as a relative newbie to this game why dont dogs get yds start off bitches, if its is recorded and officially

seams a bit unfair.

i always thought the idea behind handicaping was to try to get all dogs to cross the line together

Steve

I would agree that handicaping is supposedly the aim of getting all dogs over finishing line as close as possible--

This used to be the case when rag racing---- Times were taken for all races --

they even graded races --according to the dogs ability--

Also dogs did once receive a sex allowance but this somehow disappeared---

Hence The Original Question put forward by David---

Looks like its one with no answer --

steve

Can i just ask as a relative newbie to this game why dont dogs get yds start off bitches, if its is recorded and officially

seams a bit unfair.

Steve
Hi Steve,
I'm a newbie to this game too and what I can say in my own limited experience is that I am still not convinced that pound for pound bitches are any faster than dogs.

I had followed greyhound racing for a number of years and there was no suggestion that bitches were any faster than dogs in that game, in fact the opposite seemed to apply if anything. In my constant quest to learn and obtain information, some months ago I posted a thread on this forum asking why it was felt that bitches are faster than dogs or whether there was any clear evidence to support this claim. Despite many interesting and helpful replies there were no clear answers as to whether (or why) bitches are thought to be faster than dogs. I know we are talking whippets here and not greyhounds but I can see no reason why there should be a difference and when I see some seriously fast dogs like Gold Run take on and beat allcomers I remain even less convinced that bitches are actually faster than dogs. I must make clear that this is only my opinion and will always respect the views of those with much more experience than myself.

For what it's worth and I am sticking my neck out a bit here because I suspect it's really a numbers game. In whippet racing it seems people are more likely to keep and race bitches because it is often more convenient than keeping a number of dogs. There are no such concerns with a professional greyhound trainer where the financial incentives are the paramount consideration and all that really matters is winning races and attracting paying owners.Consequently you get a more even spread between the sexes in the kennels and the impression (or myth) that bitches are faster than dogs never gains momentum.

IMO it's to do with whippet racing being run in a handicap system system where the dogs are smaller than greyhounds. Scratch dogs run off scratch for a reason, that reason being that whippets beyond 35lb roughly all run the same form (hence dogs and bitches also running together in scratch). In scratch races where my dog has been beat it generally has been by a bitch but it's also been by a small amount and in fairness those bitches will dip below par subsequent to their season (in other words I think the odds as a whole are pretty even over a racing calendar)

Going back to the handicap, I think the discrepancy between dogs and bitches is roughly around 2lb, in other words I think that it takes a good 20lb dog to beat a good 18lb dog running off scratch. As has often been discussed in the pub at the Gin Pit we think this is why males that have naturally undeveloped genitalia are a good deal faster than the dogs in their racing class - in other words they run like a bitch. Testosterone is related to bone growth and in males bone is denser and heavier than in females.

Whilst this discrepancy of the sexes may not be evident in greyhounds, I do believe it is obvious to whippet racers because we're running within a much smaller scope where every ounce counts.

I should add, I'm unsure whether this difference is expressed in veteran racing but it's probably worth considering that many bitches will probably go to whelp and in fairness the possible complications on caeserians / hormone depletion of a bitch (leading to a loss of muscle mass) and possible loss of general muscle tone through whelping could all be factors in slowing a bitch down to an equal calibre of a dog. If there is an obvious discrepancy that is obvious to all then it would probably be worth putting forward a proposal to the powers that be.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back