The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vets ++++++++yd/lb/2ft/lb/1/2yd/lb Opens

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I would say that there is no proof that bitches are faster than dogs --only recorded Wins/supreme wins /at opens going back forty years at least --every now and then you will get a dog like the famous Good As Gold that could take on bitches and win -- but even the exceptional ones could not beat a top class bitch the likes of Cherry at the top of her game who was around roughly the same time-- these are opens run from 1968 --as before then we at Lancaster were Rag Racing up tapes with a different type of whippet much bigger similar size to todays No Limit dogs--

These were always run on times

Club racing lifted weekly and pulled if winning---- to get all crossing the line together making it hard for the Bookmakers --

Of whom we used to have as many as ten way back then in attendance many of who had whippets themselves running --

Very often over 100 dogs would run twice weekly at the Lancaster club---

Gone off subject a bit but the original question still no one has answered what happened to the sex allowance ??

and the fact there used to be one must have been thought needed at the time WHY? if there was no proof that in fact bitches are faster than dogs ----

steve

in the scratch racing it's usually the dogs that is faster than the bitches,so should should the bitch get a 1yd sex allowance? ;)

but as for the 1yd sex allowance for dogs i think ( i could be wrong ) it was changed when razzamataz was winning everything. early 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
in the scratch racing it's usually the dogs that is faster than the bitches,so should should the bitch get a 1yd sex allowance? ;)
but as for the 1yd sex allowance for dogs i think ( i could be wrong ) it was changed when razzamataz was winning everything. early 90s.

How do you come to that conclusion John?

I think Our Ebby, Bagheera, Ruby Murray, Curlin, Sugarmouse and Go2 are all bitches who'll beat the lads all day long. Not sure but I think Raggie black is a girly too? I think it's more a matter that there's more dogs in the scratch classes than bitches but what they lack in quantity they make up for in quality. :D

Like I said, I think the scratch is evenly matched.

I think Raggie Black is a boy ;) think Jimmy has all boys :) but then i could be wrong!!!! lol making me doubt myself now lol

:D :D john it wouldnt be scratch racing if the bitch was given a yard start :D :D

Wasn't sure but it is another I consider to be a good dog :D

Hersister is another fine bitch too, oh and Turkish, I recon you could go through years of scratch whippet racing and have bitches that equally match dogs at that time of racing. Only exemption being Son Of A Bitch, watched some videos of him running other week- wow! bet there was a lot of folk who'd of loved a yard over it but I recon they'd of needed more than that when that dog was on it's form. :thumbsup:

Just had a quick glimpse through WN Vet top tens of 07,08 & 09 and while there tends to be more bitches than dogs in the top ten, I have to admit the dogs present aren't ones I'd like to give a yd to. i.e. Master Blaster, Oscar's Pride, North 2 South, Colorado. Tony thinks the dogs should have a yd advantage in the vets as he feels there isn't any loss of form between the sexes. I'm not so sure and plan to look back at racing piks to see if the racing's close or not.

Oopps :D just my opinion.

the fastest scratch dogs EVER have been dogs .

I would say that there is no proof that bitches are faster than dogs --only recorded Wins/supreme wins /at opens going back forty years at least --every now and then you will get a dog like the famous Good As Gold that could take on bitches and win -- but even the exceptional ones could not beat a top class bitch the likes of Cherry at the top of her game who was around roughly the same time-- these are opens run from 1968 --as before then we at Lancaster were Rag Racing up tapes with a different type of whippet much bigger similar size to todays No Limit dogs--
These were always run on times

Club racing lifted weekly and pulled if winning---- to get all crossing the line together making it hard for the Bookmakers --

Of whom we used to have as many as ten way back then in attendance many of who had whippets themselves running --

Very often over 100 dogs would run twice weekly at the Lancaster club---

Gone off subject a bit but the original question still no one has answered what happened to the sex allowance ??

and the fact there used to be one must have been thought needed at the time WHY? if there was no proof that in fact bitches are faster than dogs ----

steve
Hi all

Not usually on this forum cos we now have lurchers but 30 years ago we used to race whippets and so I read on here sometimes. read this with interest because we used to race at Lancaster all those years ago behind the Wagon & Horses on St Georges Quay, but it was yd/lb then. It's reading this makes me think we will probably have raced with you back then. Sorry to go off the subject

Sonia

i promised myself i wasnt going to reply to this, :lol:

but yes bitches tend to be faster

but they do have seasons,,,,,which somtimes evens thing out

but in genral bitches difintly are faster in whippets,,,and i think alot pll,s know this thats why there seems to be more bitches

in greyhounds dogs are best,,,,when it comes to scratch in whippets,,,i think it can be more even,,but there does seem to be more dogs

but at the end off the day,,,,i think we run our race,,,in our races (hence class and sex ),,,,dogs have the last laugh as i find there remebered more than bitches as dog,s can breed countless times,for alot of years,,,where bitches have one or litters then forgoten about

but there is a disafantish (spelling :eek: ) in having dog,s in whippets,,,,but we all know this,,and at end off day we make our own choices when chossing a pup

I dont think its necessarily that bitches are faster theres just a lot more of them around so it easier to say this bitch beat all dogs that bitch beat all dogs. You just have to look at the classes on dog day at champs. There are dogs who can beat the bitches week in week out, gold run did it and still is, kentucky, colorado, just friends, to name a few.

Valerie

I dont think its necessarily that bitches are faster theres just a lot more of them around so it easier to say this bitch beat all dogs that bitch beat all dogs. You just have to look at the classes on dog day at champs. There are dogs who can beat the bitches week in week out, gold run did it and still is, kentucky, colorado, just friends, to name a few.
Valerie
Valerie,

That's the point I thought I had made. that is, it appears to be more a numbers game. More people may choose to race bitches not because they are necessarily faster but because for a number of reasons (be they domestic or personal) but with greyhounds these reasons don't apply either on the track (or formerly) out on the coursing field.

I have considered the point about bone density but it just it appears not to hold water in any other world other than whippet racing. It's like saying greyhounds with a "Droopys" prefix are faster. They're not! They win more because they breed more and more people race them than any other single prefix.

Perhaps if more people raced more dogs we would have a different perception?

i think most folk agree bitches are faster than dogs

its just down to preference

nothing worse than getting a bitch right then she comes in season :angry:

so its swings and roundabouts i suppose

but saying that a dog needs a rest the same as a bitch does

its just the fact that you can pick n choose when you rest a dog.

as for yard sex allowance

personally i think why change the formats of opens

not fair on the little dogs to run 2ft a lb every open either

so again its down to choice of the owners pick the opens that suit your dogs

but maybe one thing worth trying

time the weight class finals and maybe handicap the run offs according to time

dont know if thats already been tried??

if it has then i will shut up :D

geez thats the most ive ever typed on here :D :D

stu

but in genral bitches difintly are faster in whippets,,,and i think alot pll,s know this thats why there seems to be more bitches

in greyhounds dogs are best,,,,when it comes to scratch in whippets,,,i think it can be more even,,but there does seem to be more dogs

but at the end off the day,,,,i think we run our race,,,in our races (hence class and sex ),,,,dogs have the last laugh as i find there remebered more than bitches as dog,s can breed countless times,for alot of years,,,where bitches have one or litters then forgoten about

but there is a disafantish (spelling :eek: ) in having dog,s in whippets,,,,but we all know this,,and at end off day we make our own choices when chossing a pup

You shouldn't have answered this post! :-

What qualify's you as a MAN-to even begin to understand SEASONS and their impact......????? 8) :p

Karen

You shouldn't have answered this post! :-

What qualify's you as a MAN-to even begin to understand SEASONS and their impact......????? 8) :p

Karen

:lol: :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back