The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Views on vaccinations?

Cash_Dolly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Recently I have been reading a lot online about the Vaccine argument - should you do it yearly, 3 yearly, not at all and just wondered everyone's views? Just a curiosity thing more than anything as the "no vaccine" seems to be on the rise??/

If we all stop vaccinating then, I believe, those terrible diseases will all come back. I take my vet's advice. They advise a Lepto booster every year and a full booster every other year. Parvovirus is still fairly common. Would hate for my dog to get one of those diseases when I could have prevented it. It is, also, a chance for my dog to have a check over by the vet.

I trust my vet to keep up to date with all the latest research on the negative aspects of regular vaccinations.

Of course you could get a titre test to see how your dog's immunity is doing and be guided by that.

Thanks for your reply Gypseysmum. I done a lot of reading yesterday and it just got me curious as to what everyone's views and opinions are from, straight real dog owners as opposed to just reading studies etc online. I believe each to their own on things and would never preach or judge I am just genuinely curious to hear everyone's opinions/experiences. I suppose its a potentially controversial subject.....

I think there was a feature on this in Dogs Today ages ago - every month they have a vox pop on the pros and cons where readers can post their views and reasons why they support something or not (e.g. neutering, extending leads etc.). You might be able to get it online.

I would like to point you towards the work of Dr. Jean Dodds who is regarded as an expert in this field . You can find her blog at:drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com.

She writes with expert knowledge on many veterinary subjects.

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on vaccinations and ultimately you have to decide what's best for you.For myself, my understanding is that a puppy is most likely covered by maternal anti bodies until about 16 weeks of age. If your give one dose of the vaccines at the right time you probably don't have to give the second dose. We always used to give the first booster too but we longer do this. We currently give the first two and no more.We came to this decision from meeting breeders in the same breed who have never given any boosters in 60 years and have never had any problems with their dogs. We have however had a dog with an immune disease which may have been brought about by the primary vaccinations.

My two have had their puppy vacs and their first annual booster, nothing else. They're 5yrs and 6yrs. They've been titre tested and they are still protected.

Our vet said the lepto vacc only lasts for 6mths and only covers about half a dozen of the 20+ strains there are in UK. Its also the one that causes the most bad reactions.

My dogs have their first lot of vaccinations , their first year booster then they are titre tested and they only have what they need.. I will try and find a link (I'm a bit crap on computers) ..its a very good interview with an American guy who is the one who developed the modern day vaccines for our dogs and even he says dogs do not need to be vaccinated yearly

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Xd5ghnlJ4

Found it !!!

Blummin eck ive even.impressed myself!

Its long , so grab a cuppa ..but its very interesting !

Last edited by a moderator:
All good advice here. We stopped the regular vacs when a mature whippet x of ours reacted really badly to a booster at 9 years and nearly died. Vaccinate as puppies, then test before boosters.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back