The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vixen At The Pride Of The Peaks

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
~JO~ said:
mally said:
I've yet to see a whippet that works and has muscle tone to come anywhere at a KC show..
View attachment 60444

Vixen out in the field..

There is a big difference between walking and working.

I was responding to Nicolas post as she felt she couldn't show a dog that is walked for hours at a time.

Whippets judged at KC shows are judged on conformation and closeness to the breed standard, not how fit they are :thumbsup:

I believe the above statement should read.

'Whippets judged at KC shows should be judged on conformation and closeness to the breed standard, not how fit they are' :thumbsup:

Thats why i was advised not to walk and run my dogs if i wanted to do well showing them.....

The shows i've been to the judges couldn't have known about the breed standards as many were over sized and over wieght and those were the ones that won.

IMO a whippet should be fit and nicely tucked up and above all alert.. but thats just my opinion for all it's worth.

~JO~ said:
Nicola said:
She does look fit and I like to see some ribs showing on a whippet myself. She looks in great condition.... :wub:
I'd like to get into showing, as I enjoyed it in the past with my mini (it's a real buzz and rewarding feeling if you win something...I can understand why the showing folk love it), but I also love being out and about most of the day walking in the hills with my dogs (when I can), and somehow the two just don't seem to go together. I am a bit torn at the moment..... :oops:

The two can DEFINITELY go together - mine happily will go for hours of walks and still do well in the show ring :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reassurance :thumbsup: I do like to go on long walks at weekends and was under the impression that this built up muscle. Obviously not to any great extent. I don't work my dogs...and Fred's a bit old now anyway. Was thinking ahead really :b

Anyway..let's not start this old chestnut again. :sweating: There's no denying Vixen looks lovely and very fit, :wub: I couldn't help but admire her......but could we leave the topic there? :b

Last edited by a moderator:
mally said:
~JO~ said:
mally said:
I've yet to see a whippet that works and has muscle tone to come anywhere at a KC show..
View attachment 60444

Vixen out in the field..

There is a big difference between walking and working.

I was responding to Nicolas post as she felt she couldn't show a dog that is walked for hours at a time.

Whippets judged at KC shows are judged on conformation and closeness to the breed standard, not how fit they are :thumbsup:

I believe the above statement should read.

'Whippets judged at KC shows should be judged on conformation and closeness to the breed standard, not how fit they are' :thumbsup:

Thats why i was advised not to walk and run my dogs if i wanted to do well showing them.....

The shows i've been to the judges couldn't have known about the breed standards as many were over sized and over wieght and those were the ones that won.

IMO a whippet should be fit and nicely tucked up and above all alert.. but thats just my opinion for all it's worth.

I was told the same many years ago when we gave showing a short try.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back