The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Walking 3 Whippies

mydannyboy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I have 2 adult whippets but know of a rescue greyhound/whippet - another male. We would love him but I worry how to manage 3 on a walk - on lead and off.

Any good tips?

I use " gentle leaders" on my 3 whippets . Means they can't pull so much . Off lead I don't always let my 3 off lead together depends on the circumstances .

Thanks Hula

Good to know others manage with multiple dogs. Can't see OH using a "gentle leader" though - but I would.

I use a figure of 8 head collar on my 4 girls, simple to get on and off with one hand.

Just gives me that little bit more control when i walk them all together.

They tend to pull on the way out as they are excited but apart from one they all walk

back nicely. Gladys still gets walked on her own until im happy she's able to cope

with running with the others and then she will go on a '8' as well :thumbsup:

My 5 year old manages 6 all on slip leads

DSC_0783_zps715f0632.jpg

Good topic and awesome picture Masta! Now I have to show it to Jacques, and tell him he can do it too!! :rant:

Sadie x

Thanks all.

That picture is ace by the way. My OH prefers slip leads to "collars/clipped to leads" - but then my boys walk better for him :)

Because I have three, I have done lots of heel work with all of mine separately and together. As a result my three walk really nicely on lead so it's not a problem but a friend asked me to walk his jrt and he pulls like a train so it was not much fun, even though he's only a little guy!

it can be hard but if the dogs are easy walkers should be ok, two lurchers and a gsd x went ok until out of control dogs from other people dosnt help, best of luck all the same,

DSC_0783_zps715f0632.jpg
Lovely pic but what if a distraction popped up - like a rabbit, cat or squirrell?

DSC_0783_zps715f0632.jpg
Lovely pic but what if a distraction popped up - like a rabbit, cat or squirrell?
My daughter only walks with an adult (she is 5) and knows to let go if she needs too
Glad to hear she knows to let go but is that really managing to control the 5 dogs? (The topic is about an adult's concern at being able to control 3 dogs on lead) - I do reckon an adult would be challenged to hold on in the face of such excitement. Nice pic of the little girl and dogs though.

DSC_0783_zps715f0632.jpg

DSC_0783_zps715f0632.jpg
My daughter only walks with an adult (she is 5) and knows to let go if she needs too
Glad to hear she knows to let go but is that really managing to control the 5 dogs? (The topic is about an adult's concern at being able to control 3 dogs on lead) - I do reckon an adult would be challenged to hold on in the face of such excitement. Nice pic of the little girl and dogs though.
Maybe I should have explained I am lucky that I don't walk my dogs on roads etc and have the benefit of the open countryside as I said previously my daughter always has an adult with her and has been instructed to let go if anything untoward happens hence no danger to dogs or child getting back to the topic if an adult can not manage to walk 3 dogs then stick at 1/2 common sense prevails

Indeed, I quite agree - only have what can be managed safely. :thumbsup:

Indeed, I quite agree - only have what can be managed safely.

Ok then it's probably a budgie for me!!!! (w00t)

Sadie x

Indeed, I quite agree - only have what can be managed safely.

Ok then it's probably a budgie for me!!!! (w00t)

Sadie x
Nowt wrong with budgies - I have three but don't take them for walks! :thumbsup:

Hi

Going back to the original post - possibly walking 3 is no longer an "issue". The beautiful rescue boy has been rehomed (yah for him!) so I will be keeping to my 2 beautiful boys for now.

I regularly walk 6 dogs at the same time- my GSD in a k9bridle, a border collie and an Airedale both in Lupi harnesses, a border terrier in a standard harness and a pair of shihtzus on standard collars and clip leads.

I wear a cross body bag and Molly's around my waist on a training lead, then one other larger dog on either side and the little dogs spread out on longer leads so they can walk a little further out and get out from under the big dogs' paws. It does mean that we can only go somewhere that there are wide paths, but other than that it all depends on getting a good routine going with everybody getting out of the car in the right order, learning to walk side by side, having good recall and sitting politely to have leads put on and taken off.

I don't think I'd attempt more than a couple of dogs if I wasn't sure that I could both keep hold of them in the event that anything happened and keep polite order whilst walking- it would just be too stressful (and there are two in there who have very poor recall, so I have to be sure of keeping hold of them so they don't dash off).

I doubt I'd have much problem in keeping hold of 3 whippets, but that's mainly because I am 6'3 and built like a brick outhouse and if 3 40kg GSDs (also sometimes walked together) can't pull me over or make me drop their leads then I doubt that 3 whippets could manage it! I wouldn't like to try it with dogs I didn't know and who didn't know me though- multiple walking relies on the dogs knowing and obeying the rules.

I used to walk 5 borzois together on head collars, a combined weight of around 500lb, with bunnies and all sorts popping up to tease them on head collars they are easily managed. With my current 4 small dogs (2 collies and 2 silkens) they are easily managed on flat collars, they don't pull as a rule but of course if a cat crosses their path they will. I don't find 60kg of dog that hard to hold on to and I'm a 5'4 woman so I really don't think 3 whippets will be a problem for anyone :)

Last week I walked my friends 2 westies with my 4, I held all 6 leads in one hand and the water bottle, ball thrower etc in the other.

Go for it :D

402888_10151041571117227_1855614968_n.jpg

The beautiful rescue boy has been rehomed (yah for him!) so I will be keeping to my 2 beautiful boys for now.
Ah sorry, just read this after my last reply, glad that boy has a home but of course there are always lots more looking...and now you've started to consider a third.....

;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back