The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Walking And Feeding

markE

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
just wondering what people here do as regards feeding and walking their whippets. Do you feed a while before walking, just before walking, or afterwards. Im wondering if feeding before or after affects their behaviour when out walking, or whats best for the digestive system.

I try to feed at least an hour before taking them out. I walk, but my dogs run :) and my mum always used to tell me it is not healthy to exercise immediately after a meal. Also, by the time we go out they would have usually done their poo and i can have a nice walk without carrying bags of fresh dog s***t. If i couldn't feed an hour before, I rather take them out first and feed after we get back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The couple of times I have taken Ollie out just after I fed him, he has ended up vomiting, so can't recommend it!

I agree with Seraphina :)) We always feed an hour before or after exercise as less than this can cause colic (twisted gut) :( especially as whippets do a large amount of strenuous running about, well ours do anyway :p

I feed after walks. I used to feed them first thing in the morning, so they could eat an hour before their walk, but they never ate it then so now they have it when they get back in and it seems to suit much better.

I have lurchers who run like crazy when out so I always leave at least an hour before and after to feed them. For the same reasons as already mentioned, vomiting and gastric torsion, potentially fatal. :(

You should never run deep-chested dogs ona full stomach. Also always leave it a while after exercise before you feed - just enough that they have calmed down, stopped panting etc etc.

good to know ive been doing the right thing. thank you all

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back