The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Want To Buy A Puppy

Rebecca Claire

Rebecca Claire
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there,

I am new to using this site and was looking for some whippet advice!!!

I have an 8 year old whippet who is an adorable chap (aren't all whippets adorable!) and I am looking at getting him a companion. Not sure whether to get a dog or a bitch ??? (oh yes, he is castrated).

Hope you can help me on this :)

Bex

So long as your dog doesn't have any particular issues with other male dogs, then I don't think it matters.

A dog/bitch combination is probably the safest as they won't compete with one another, but loads of people (me included) have two or more dogs together with no problems at all.

hello and welcome to k9 :D i have a male dog and introduced an older male and apart from few teathing probs they now get on really well :)

I have a 1.5 year old bitch and a 2.5 year old dog (castrated) and they get along just fine o:) . They are very sweet together and really look after one another :thumbsup: .

I also have 2 boys Bex - an intact boy who's nearly 3 and a neutered boy who's about 20 months ............... they absolutely adore each other :wub:

Digit and Bloggs had spent quite a bit of time together before Bloggs moved in, so I knew for sure that they would be very good company for each other. A friend of mine who used to breed, has a set up where she has pairs of dogs that don't get on. Her evenings & weekends are spent cycling the dogs so everyone gets some mummy time - it works ok for her but I know it's something I would never do.

Sooooo, my advice is - spend as much time with your prospective newbie as you can. I'm sure any decent breeder/rehoming centre will be more than happy for you to take the time to check out how they get on together. After all, they want the right forever home for them don't they?

And what you are looking for is a companion for your chap not a rival

:luck: good luck and pics please! :luck:

Hi Bex

Just wanted to say welcome to K9 :thumbsup:

I've had bitches together for years, and they've had the odd scuffle. I then kept a dog and bitch from my last litter and they absolutely love each other :wub: :wub:

I think you could probably have either with a castrated boy, but my bet is he'd take to a little girlie really well.

Good luck with whatever you decide :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back