The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Waterloo Cup

Just voted and currently, it is 62% voting yes for the waterloo cup to go ahead.

Hi Paul,

The waterloo in 2005 (all being well) will be the last Tuesday,Wednesday & Thursday in February.

you coming up again?

hi mark , yes im gonna come up on the middle day again ,il put on some warmer clothes this time,ye cant wait & to see all you boys aswell , my dogs are both out of action at the minute so its a bit frustrating , never mind cu soon

hi , new dates for waterloo cup will be known by next week ,to be run before ban...i,ll post them up as soon poss cheers,, :)

I heard yesterday the plan is to run it 2 weeks earlyer than normal that way if it needs concelling due to frost ect they can rescedule for the week after (still before the ban)

I say run it as normal and see how they deal with 10.000 spectators.

so do i. i think i might have to go to the cup this year.ive only been wanting to go for the last 20 years and still have'nt made it. this year i am going for sure.

sparky said:
so do i. i think i might have to go to the cup this year.ive only been wanting to go for the last 20 years and still have'nt made it. this year i am going for sure.
Personally I think that there will be record numbers attending the Waterloo Cup this year! :luck:

I think that a lot of people (who normally would not bother) will go to stick 2 fingers up at politicians! :rant:

Sparky,

i've been going since 92 (i'll do that vid for you this week remind me!), always a good 3 days out with some great lads.

The Waterloo Cups a great place to go, you can go on your own but within minutes your part of a massive group having a good crack (your never on your own at the Waterloo Cup)

3 year ago I gave a few lads a lift down the Ln at Lydiat to where their coach was parked, last year a bloke came up talking to me, after a few minutes he said "you've no idea who I am have you"? it turned out he was 1 of the lads i'd given a lift to a few year before!.

it resulted in an ivitation to go lamping in Barnsley.

we'll have to meet up and have a drink (hot chocolate of course)

see you in a few weeks.

see you in a couple of weeks, and scott aswell. regards sparky

still buzzing on the coursing from the other day.wish i had come saturday. i am not going to miss another if your passing im coming. i can picture my young dog in slips now, regards sparky.

This is a peice I took from the Telegraph?

what will be legal once the ban come in?.

Hare coursing

Organised events, such as the 72 fixtures run each year by the National Coursing Club, will be illegal. However, "private" coursing, in which two greyhounds are run after hares, would be legal, provided that the people doing the coursing shoot the hare afterwards. Since most courses last for around 40 seconds, it is hard to see that the hare will have been hunted for an unreasonable period.

[SIZE=14pt]OK i've got me shotgun out who's up for a bit of coursing![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
So as long as I wander round with a loaded air pistol I'll be OK.

The funny thing is Michelle is as it stands very few Hares get killed compared to the amount that are run.

under that law (if it's true) then in theory as lond as they have several people around the field at altcar with shotguns and they shoot every hare as it leaves the field The Waterloo Cup can still be held!

so under the old law only a few hares that got coursed died! :)

under the new rules every hare that got coursed would die? :angry:

and they call that animal welfare ?

Mark Roberts said:
This is a peice I took from the Telegraph?
what will be legal once the ban come in?.

Hare coursing

Organised events, such as the 72 fixtures run each year by the National Coursing Club, will be illegal. However, "private" coursing, in which two greyhounds are run after hares, would be legal, provided that the people doing the coursing shoot the hare afterwards. Since most courses last for around 40 seconds, it is hard to see that the hare will have been hunted for an unreasonable period.

[SIZE=14pt]OK i've got me shotgun out who's up for a bit of coursing![/SIZE]
I read that today, and it doesn't make any sense does it? Would we all be allowed to go along to watch?

It would imply that we could all carry on as before, as long as we make sure that instead of letting the hares get away (which they do most of the time) we make sure that they DIE!

If a greyhound has caught the hare and killed it, does it have to be shot too?!

I can't believe that this can be correct. Legal coursing now illegal, and illegal coursing legal!

Cerito

PS Mark, I posted at the same time as you!

Last edited by a moderator:
michelle said:
So as long as I wander round with a loaded air pistol I'll be OK.
Provided that you have permission to shoot on the land! ;)

Personally a dog could dispatch a hare far quicker than I could with an air rifle!

(Roberts will vouch for that! :b )

As I read the new law, according to the Daily Telegraph, we can carry on as before so long as it isn't "organised". A group of us could "happen" to meet with our whippets and could help to flush out the hares but only two dogs, as it is now, would be allowed to course. We could take it in turns, as we do now but without a programme, to do the coursing. The main problem is where does the person with a gun stand to ensure that the hare, and not the dogs, is shot?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back