The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wc Limited Show

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
all this waffle about breed standards,surely whippets were originally bred for speed

not for trotting around a show ring :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
When a racing bred dog wins a standard class, I'll eat my words, but not until then.

Whatever :wacko: ....There would be more racers entering shows if they had the time in their careers to put on 4 + lbs just for showing ..... I think you'll find though that WCRCh Magic Trick showed and won classes as well as raced ....oh as has WCRCh VC Guys Gwithian ... :thumbsup: ....just by their titles I think they both proved themselves :thumbsup: .....not that I know much about these things ...

all this waffle about breed standards,surely whippets were originally bred for speed not for trotting around a show ring thumbsup.gif

Spot on .... ;)

As I keep saying, racers do not breed dogs to conform to the breed standard, they breed them to run fast.
all this waffle about breed standards,surely whippets were originally bred for speednot for trotting around a show ring
Funny how we both said the same thing yet.........................

Having only scimmed through, yes it is a dog show, we have to judge each of those dogs to the breed standard.

We cannot judge then to their suitablity to race/course, as the only way to do this is to race/course them. It is aimed to encourage more activity with your whippet.

You could go the other way and put on races for showdogs, say to have won a 1st at a show ??

However as with all dogs presented in the showring, i would be shocked to find any lacking in muscle tone and unsound.

Maybe i maybe out of turn posting in this section, but as hanah dragged me into it, (i think she meant me)

Helen :b (blushing)

dolly said:
Having only scimmed through, yes it is a dog show, we have to judge each of those dogs to the breed standard. 
We cannot judge then to their suitablity to race/course, as the only way to do this is to race/course them.  It is aimed to encourage more activity with your whippet.

You could go the other way and put on races for showdogs, say to have won a 1st at a show ??

However as with all dogs presented in the showring, i would be shocked to find any lacking in muscle tone and unsound.

Maybe i maybe out of turn posting in this section, but as hanah dragged me into it, (i think she meant me)

Helen :b (blushing)

Well as you were brought up with racers and you know a good dog when you see one :thumbsup: ....oh and you are a judge :D ....

Joanna said:
I see what you say Helen, but if your whippet is not a good example of the breed standard and it has qualified, why would you enter it into a show?
Edit to say you have edited your post since I replied.

I would never doubt your ability as a judge but would you judge a dog in a racing/coursing class differently from one in a standard class, also would you expect your fisrt placing to equal that in a standard class, yes this is a leading question!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im not saying you have to enter it, but it will be judged along with other races/ courses in the same boat ??

I remeber Dosthill hundreds of years ago having a show match between a few clubs with the racers, that was great fun, about 25 years ago,

There is no perfect dog out there, there are lots to like about everyone of them,

This thread was getting a bit personal, so I've removed a post which broke the rules, and those which quoted it. Discussion is fine, but please do not make personal attacks on others :thumbsup:

June Jonigk said:
This thread was getting a bit personal, so I've removed a post which broke the rules, and those which quoted it.  Discussion is fine, but please do not make personal attacks on others :thumbsup:

I must apologize as that was my post ... :oops: ...sorry ...

[SIZE=14pt]A genuine question if a 17.5 inch racing ch bitch of mediocre conformation & a 21 inch show ch bitch of mediocre conformation were in the same class who would get the red card & why ?[/SIZE]

The show bitch would (unless she was black or blue :- " :oops: ) as they prefer bigger bitches and feel our racers are small and spindly ......I did say on one of my posts (but I think it was the one that got deleted :rolleyes: ) that I personally feel a well constructed racing bred is IMO what my ideal is of the correct Whippet is .....I hate seeing these 40 + lb ders that stand at 22 - 23" ....they are Greyhounds and lose type ...

Pennymeadow Whippets said:
[SIZE=14pt]A genuine question if a 17.5 inch racing ch bitch of mediocre conformation & a 21 inch show ch bitch of mediocre conformation were in the same class who would get the red card & why ?[/SIZE]
Hi

What red card - I thought that the red card once shown removed you from the competition? :(

Rob Rixon said:
Pennymeadow Whippets said:
Hi

What red card - I thought that the red card once shown removed you from the competition? :(

The red card/Rosset as in first place.

IF! both bitch's were of the same quality except for just the size then surely commen sense would dictate that the smaller bitch would win as she would be of the correct size as in the breed standard unlike the big one which at 21" is well over the ideal.

Mark Roberts said:
IF! both bitch's were of the same quality except for just the size then surely commen sense would dictate that the smaller bitch would win as she would be of the correct size as in the breed standard unlike the big one which at 21" is well over the ideal.

Well you'd think so wouldn't you .....Can you not remember Crufts :- " (w00t)

Mark Roberts said:
Spot on Mate but sadly in the real world common sense is not very common. :(

I would just like to thank Helen (Dolly) for making a very good point during a discussion we had. It is a point from an experienced judge and whippet expert, worth passing on.

I have a show-bred dog who is the slowest whippet in the world almost at racing. Helen has pointed out that we have no expectations of him at racing but still do it (fun for him and us). Helen has made the comparison between that and showing your racing/coursing dog. I absolutely understand and accept that if racers/coursers want to go for fun, then so be it. I suppose I was coming from a completely different place in that if your dog isn't good enough to show, why do it? If it is for fun, then I am all for it ( we have entered Archie in loads of exemption shows for fun only). I still wouldn't enter my racing bred dog as he wouldn't enjoy it and wouldn't be any-where near the required standard. These classes are also mainly show-breds who lure course as TC said so I still think futile to enter.

Any-way, thanks Helen :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back