The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

We need help please

warren72

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
4 weeks ago myself & our 18 month old border collie Jack moved back into the family home due to issues with Covid 19 so as to not endanger other family members after 6 months of being out of the family home. For the first 3 weeks everything was fine but in the last week Jack has first bitten my daughter with absolutely no provocation who is 12 and was stroking him as normal with my wife before going to bed in the lounge and now my wife last night again with no warning or provocation. We love him dearly and we are at our whits end as to what to do they are now both petrified of him in case he turns again on them both.

As a quick fix, is it possible for you and Jack to move back out of the family home? If not, the first step is to keep Jack and the other family members separate, however difficult this might be.

The next step is to consider any medical issues - have you seen any other changes in Jack's behaviour? Normally I'd suggest a vet check when there's unexplained aggression, but you might struggle to get an appointment unless he becomes unmanageable. Has he seemed more stressed, could he be sensing tensions in the home?

Then, think hard about the exact circumstances. When your daughter was stroking him, were they on the sofa, was she leaning over him, did he have a toy? What about when he bit your wife - what was she doing at the time?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back