The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Weight worry

spanielmad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, just looking for some advice regarding weight. I feed both my dogs naturediet. My younger dog - aged two and a half, has always done well on it, and I'm happy with his weight. Approx six weeks ago, i took on my second dog - believed to be 15 months old - Willow. She was rehomed to me as her previous owner couldn't cope - without going into the full story - lack of sufficient excercise, training, boundaries etc. She was said to be a cocker spaniel, but I'm pretty sure she's a cocker/springer cross. Since I've had her, I've been working really hard with her, giving her more excercise and basic training and she's progressing really well. I've registered her at my vets, who said her weight was fine, though i thought she was a bit under weight. She was being fed Baker's - i know - and I've transferred her onto naturediet. I popped into my vets yesterday and weighed her - didn't want her to see the vets negatively. In the six weeks, she's lost just over two pounds. I expected some weight loss - more excercise being my thoughts. I give her a raw chicken wing about three times a week, and she's also getting quite a few treats in training. She is both toy and food oriented, i would say 50/50 or equal measures. I'm aware of my first dogs feelings- he's been an only dog for two years - his training is pretty good and when I'm working with Willow, this is just my opinion - he seems to be saying 'look mum, i can do it' I'm considering working with Willow when he's not there, but being honest here, i don't want to upset him during the transition of having another dog around - any thoughts on that also?

I'm getting off track a bit here. Apologies, it's been a bit exhausting working with Willow. She's quite unfit in my opinion so I'm trying, not always succedng, in trying to build her excercise up gradually. Meanwhile my first dog is putting on weight and she's losing it. I'm considering giving her an additional meal? Is two pounds a lot to lose? I couldn't speak to the vet yesterday - was just popping in to weigh her, and I'm aware vets prefer seeing a dog underweight than over. I looked at the weight chart there, she's within range but again, it's difficult to know that as i believe she's in between a cocker and springer. When I'm out with her, no-one else i see veiw her as under weight. I've worked her, her poo"s are good - sorry about that one!

Anyway, any thoughts on building her weight up a bit, she could eat all day if allowed, but equally could run around for hours if allowed.

Any thoughts on supplementing her food? I find this forum really helpful and friendly so wanted to ask here, it has been really hard on both myself and my first dog adjusting, it's very rewarding seeing her progress but it's been hard work on both myself and my older dog so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I also give her a small tin of sardines in olive oil about twice a week and give my older dog the same, probably down to guilt if I'm being completely honest. Any advice would be great, many thanks.

Above should say wormed not worked.

It is very possible that you have a working type cocker! ANY PICTURES ?

My cockers have about 1/2lb of raw each, (sometimes a little more sometimes a little less) no treats are given and any useful scraps are considered as part of their daily rations.

I find it is very easy to adjust weight issues by the amount I feed on a daily basis. My smallest weighs 10.8 kg, and our larger one is just over 12kg, (very well covered ! )

Some cockers are better suited to be slim and active, our dogs should not carry excessive weight! As you are obviously quiet aware.

Weight gain / loss is not always down to exercise but the amount that is put in at the top end, and that is your responsibility and common sense.

There is no exact amount to feed as all of our dogs are different, but a nice slim active Spaniel is usually a very happy one.

With regards to your older chap, can you find the time to give him a few minutes with a little personal time and "training", just so that he dose not feel left out.

Have fun with your spaniels,

Best wishes.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll try and post a couple of pics here - not very good at that, and she's never still for 5 minutes. I'll try now and attempt to get a picture today of her body...

Is an icon supposed to come up, a paperclip or something to click on to post pics?

Willow is on the left of this pic - i think she looks a bit Labradorish in this pic, but she definitely isn't

Sorry, she's on the right, not left

IMG_20170313_133451.jpg

Hope that pic posts. When trying to upload a pic, keep getting msg saying I've posted more than five pics so have to wait before posting more?

Trying again

My girl..

Think that's there?

Think my biggest worry is that I'm not feeding her enough - she's had a difficult start in life, and the last thing i want is to under or over feed. When i first brought her home, she would hide behind the sofa when i ate, think she may have been getting told off for begging?

At first, i didn't mind this - she was setting in and if she felt happy behind the sofa, that was fine with me. However, she hid behind the sofa a couple of days ago, while trying to coax her out, she almost snapped at me, bared her teeth etc. I'm pretty sure this was fear based?

IMG_20170503_105340.jpg

IMG_20170503_105340.jpg

IMG_20170503_105306.jpg

My two terrors!IMG_20170404_181148.jpgIMG_20170404_181148.jpg

Sorry for duplicate posting - one minute you can't load a pic the next your posting too many!

100% spaniel, but head on pictures don't show her body condition though.

Black is always a difficult colour to get a good picture.

Sit quietly with a cup of coffee and when she thinks you are not interested anymore you may get a side on picture of her (sort of ! )

I once had a girl who always "posed" when she saw the camera pointed at her, all I wanted was a natural position for a picture, not the" forced smile" and head on position !!! She was always trying to please but it was not always what I wanted though.

Will try and get body pic when out today. I think because her colour is solid black she looks more cocker. I had a friend years ago who had a solid coloured cocker/springer - think the gundog world calls them Sprockers, albeit reluctantly? Not into gundog stuff, more agility, but will be camping with her in a couple of weeks at paws in the park - pretty sure there'll be loads of people there offering advice on weight etc but will try and get a fuller pic when out today..

Best I can do for now.

Now I've looked at those pics, i don't think she looks thin now - my own insecurities i think about having a second dog maybe?

IMG_20170503_164213.jpg

IMG_20170503_164106.jpg

I think she looks fine but does not need to put on any more weight at all !

She could still loose a little more and still look ok.

What a lovely girl.

Thank you, she's incredibly pretty, think that's why she's had little training, typical spaniel in that she puts her head on you, looks up at you sadly as if to say 'i'm a good girl mum' !

One behaviour she has, i know i shouldn't laugh but can't help it - she drinks from metallic bowls - no problem, but as soon as she's finished, she picks it up and runs around with it in her mouth, proudly!

Don't want to say too much here, but from the little i picked up from her previous owner, she was shut in the kitchen a lot, so probably used the water bowl as a toy to entertain herself?

I'm not worried if she's a cross or not really, it's just i haven't got her insured yet, and i think if she was a cross, it would be cheaper to insure her? Not sure about that, i know she isn't KC registered and doesn't have papers, but I'd like to be honest with the insurance company if i can?

Relax! She looks fine :) Vets like them lean for a very good reason they are much less likely to get arthritis etc. All drugs and operations are based on weight so she will be cheaper to treat if she needs to go to the vet.

I think that we are so used to seeing fat dogs nowadays that when we see a normal weight dog we think it is thin!

She has no idea how much food she should or should not have so don't worry about upsetting her. Each week just look at her condition and adjust the amount you feed accordingly.

The nervous behaviour behind the sofa may, as you say, come from the previous home. Just take things very slowly and gently with her. Let her find out that you can be trusted not to hurt her.

My rescue boy was (is) very nervous at being approached in his bed. He has growled and snapped several times. This is particularly noticeable in the morning. My thoughts are that the previous owner would come down in the morning to find things chewed, or toilets on the floor, and punish him. Those memories last a long time. We have had him two years now and he is only just starting to relax first thing in the morning :(

Thanks gypsysmum, it helps to know I'm not alone! Both dogs are currently fast asleep, think I'll join them for an hour or two..

As a sight hound owner I have to add that the breed type needs to be taken into account. Quite a few people are convinced that fit and healthy sight hounds are underweight.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back