The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

weird biological news / Unforeseen Consequences

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
QUOTE, arealhuman:

I've never understood the U.S. fascination with going out into the wilds and murdering animals. :eek:

Umm - guessing this refers to the whitetail buck?... :D What's that old saying, about glass houses & flinging stones?

A, he died over 30-years B4 this photo was 1st published, by a Utah game-warden, as a curiosity.
[Remember, he was hunted & killed in N.C.] So this didn't happen last fall, in the most-recent hunting season.
It happened a long, long time ago, in terms of deer-generations. We're talking at least 14 'greats' in front of 'grandad'.

B, i seem to recall an incredible number of wealthy Brits had enormous collections of dead animals, often mounted on walls, stuffed & under glass domes [mostly birds], or simply as antlers, skins turned into rugs, furs, & throws, carriage robes, etc. :p
There are still various stately homes in Britain decorated by big-game trophies collected around the world - tigers, antelope, zebra rugs, elephant-foot stools, polar-bear skins, antler chandeliers... Then there were the egg-collecting & butterfly-collecting manias that decimated entire species. No human that i know of, eats butterflies - they were just pinned on boards. Eggs went into boxes. :shrug:
The USA has no monopoly on wasteful taking of nonhuman lives, at all stages.

C, native wild game in the UK was 1st a royal privilege & landed-gentry privilege, & hunting was only permitted to landless commoners relatively recently. Fishing for salmon is still a pricey proposition, in the UK.
In strong contrast, hunting & fishing to feed one's family were never feudal privileges in the USA; historically, they've been open to anyone. Hunting & fishing licenses didn't even exist until approx WW-2, & to this day, any resident over-18 in most states can get a fishing-license or hunting-license; some species require a lottery [bison] or have an extremely-low annual quota, but to this day, any VA resident can legally catch 5 blue-claw crab on trotlines or in crab-traps per day.
Poor folks can usually afford some cotton twine & chicken-necks, which is all it takes to catch crabs from a creek bank or dock. Living on crab can get just as boring as any other forced diet, in poverty. :( I knew ppl in Norfolk who'd catch their legal limit of live crabs, & swap 'em to a restaurant for a mac-n'-cheese meal.

D, it was relatively recently that fox-hunting as a mounted sport was banned in Britain & the UK.
At least U can eat a deer - I haven't met anyone, yet, who made a meal of a fox. :D

E, as a kid & thru my 20s, I hunted & fished.
I only bitterly regret one animal that i shot, a bird overhead that i mistook for a squirrel against the the bright sky.
I ATE the animals that i killed; i didn't hang them on the wall.

& finally, long-before i became a fish-eating vegetarian, I met many meat-eaters who were absolutely horrified that i had slaughtered & dressed animals for eating. :rolleyes: Hypocrisy hasn't ended; if U eat meat but "could NEVER kill an animal!", then U're trying to push what U see as bad karma onto some other person, who will slaughter the animals that U eat for U, & take on the guilt of their deaths.
If U eat meat, but could never kill an animal in order to eat her or him, U are a coward, IMO, & break Ur own supposed "moral code" on a daily basis. That, also IMO, is much-worse than killing a domestic animal reared for meat, or even killing a wild animal for meat, so long as it's done quickly & accurately.

I'm a vegetarian; i have leather leashes [veg-tanned], leather belts [bought in GoodWill & other 2nd-hand stores], & even furs [sheepskins]. I see no point whatsoever in throwing away the leather wrapper from a 1400# steer; rather, i think we should use every possible part of every animal we kill, fur, feathers, skin, horn, hoof, sinews, guts, ALL. As the old saying goes, we should use every part of every pig but the squeal.

Waste is criminal. Every oyster-shell, clam-shell, mussel-shell, & conch-shell should go back to the ocean, to rear more shellfish - not just to harvest for human appetites, but to keep the ocean healthy.
Off my soapbox, now. :D

- terry

Newsflash:
China is manufacturing a globally-banned chlorofluorocarbon, which has an enormous impact on greenhouse gases, far-worse than CO2, plus it destroys upper-atmosphere ozone.
The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) found 8 companies in four different provinces use CFC-11 to make plastic foams, most-often used to insulate buildings. CFCs were banned in 1987.
QUOTE,
"...well-placed sources in the Chinese chemical industry strongly suggest that this is a wider practice,” said the agency’s Avipsa Mahapatra.
The green watchdog estimates up to 70% of Chinese rigid-foam production uses CFC-11... By the EIA’s calculation, this illegal activity has a climate-impact equivalent to 16 to 20 coal-fueled power stations."

Now, THAT's a great reason to boycott Chinese-sourced goods. :thumbsup:

toxicology & evidence:
An unexpected and persistent increase in global emissions of ozone-depleting CFC-11 | Nature

fingerprints:
Mysterious emissions of banned greenhouse gas traced to Chinese factories

Last edited:

Approx 311,000 coastal homes in the U-S are predicted to flood every 2-weeks or more-often, over the next few decades. That's more than a third of a billion homes, with God-knows-how-many occupants.

Those properties currently have an estimated value of $120-billion-US. They won't be worth warm spit, when they flood every fortnight, & if they're up on stilts, it's no better; U're marooned, & must drive thru salt-water to get to the kids' school, work, or the grocery store. :eek:

Study: Rising seas could swamp more than 300,000 US houses

Yep, there are hunters here and I personally despise fox hunting, but it seems in the US you can go and buy an automatic weapon then go out in the wilds and blow away the wildlife at any age. I had a debate about this on another forum with a US citizen, and his reply was it was his god-given right to do this :eek::eek::eek: Probably one of the reasons the US is so popular at the moment (and the UK due to Brexit) :D

QUOTE, arealhuman:

Yep, there are hunters here and I personally despise fox hunting, but it seems in the US you can go and buy an automatic weapon, then go out in the wilds and blow away the wildlife at any age.
I had a debate about this on another forum with a US citizen, and his reply was it was his god-given right to do this :eek::eek::eek:
Probably one of the reasons the US is so popular at the moment (and the UK, due to Brexit)
. :D

Only semi-auto weapons are legal to buy, not full auto - & even those, not in all states.
Fully-automatic weapons only have one use, & it's not hunting - it's hosing ammo into live humans, en masse.

The NRA has pushed very hard for legalizing semi-auto for hunting; Penna was the most-recent state to OK it, in 2016, but even then, the Pa Game Commission still must pass separate legislation to allow semi-auto hunting, AND those guns are further regulated.
Most states limit the load to 3 shots only; NY is an exception, at 6 loads legal.

Semi-automatic gun law divides hunters

Mass has the strictest gun-laws in New England, & possibly the strictest of the 50-states; Texas is much, much different, & "concealed carry" permits in Texas are more common than ordinary hunting licenses in season are, in Mass. // A "concealed carry" permit means U can legally tote a gun with U, anywhere U go, with very very few exceptions; typically it's a handgun, & it can be in a purse, backpack, pocket, waistband, shoulder-holster, etc.
In Mass, WITH A PERMIT & A PROPERLY REGISTERED WEAPON, as a gun-owning hunter, just to carry a firearm in yer car in order to go hunting, the gun must be unloaded & the ammo kept separate from the gun. The gun goes in the car's trunk, not the passenger compartment, for the trip.

Massachusetts Firearms Laws

AGE is a separate thing - U can fish legally much younger than U can hunt with any firearm, even a B-B gun or air-pistol isn't legal for young kids.
Fishing:
Kids under 12-YO accompanied by an adult don't need a license to fish, in most states; some states extend this to 16-YO, but by 18, IIRC, every state requires a fishing-license AND U must know the rules for the species U take: what's the legal size, how many, etc.
Taking undersize or oversize catch can mean a whopping fine, depending on the species & time of year - breeding is normally when a species is illegal to catch or even pursue, U can't harass them when they're breeding. The various fines for under-size / over-size / wrong season, etc, can total thousands of dollars, if U are caught.
Catching out of season [poaching] or in protected waters is another whole category, & again can be extremely expensive. 16-YOs in some states are prosecuted as adults, under fishing regulations.

Hunting:
most states require young hunters to take & pass a hunter safety course before they're allowed to hunt at all.
Most states also require any youth who is hunting to be accompanied by an adult; kids can't hunt solo.
As a kid in PA, I was allowed to use the BB-gun when i was 12-YO; I also used a bow for target archery.
I was allowed to hunt with the .22 lever-action when i was 15, AFTER my hunter-safety course, & only on our own property.
Of course, my class was in-person - no 'Net, then!

Hunter-Trapper Education - Pennsylvania Game Commission - PA.gov
www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Hunter-TrapperEducation/Pages/default.aspx
By law, all first-time hunters and trappers, regardless of age, must successfully complete Hunter-Trapper Education training before they can buy a Pennsylvania hunting or trapping license. A training certificate, which is recognized throughout North America, is awarded when you pass a test at the end of the course.

Pennsylvania Online Hunter Safety Course | Hunter-ed.com™
Pennsylvania Online Hunter Safety Course | Hunter-ed.com™
The official Pennsylvania hunter safety course for your hunting license. Learn online on any device and print out your certificate. Study the course for free!

Note that Penna's hunter-safety is highly regarded, & accepted in all states as satisfactory training.

hunting in all states:
The caliber of weapon, the TYPE of weapon, & even the size of shot are also dictated by law; hunting regs will require that U use a shotgun on birds, a rifle on deer, etc. Specific sizes of shot are for specific birds, & in many states, NO LEAD SHOT is now mandated; S/S shot won't go as far, but it won't kill animals for decades, & pollute soil & water forever.
Bird-shot for doves is much-finer than bird-shot for pheasants, & no one hunting geese would use dove-sized shot, that's ridiculous. // Deer are usually taken with 30.06 rifles, or punkin' ball with muzzle-loaders, or a hand-held .44.

Bow-hunting, muzzle-loading & black-powder, & rifle seasons are all regulated; bow hunters usually get the field 1st, as they must get closer to their prey, & hunting after rifle season would mean hunting spooked game with a bow - vastly decreasing the odds of taking home any animal.
Muzzle-loading & black-powder guns are often handmade, & while they're not as reliable as modern weapons [esp'ly in wet weather], they are quite accurate. The ppl who hunt with them are almost-invariably good hunters in every sense, not only knowledgeable about their prey species, but extremely ethical; this isn't a mere hobby, it's a way of life, for them.

What U wear is also dictated by law - in rifle season, so many square-inches of fluorescent orange are mandatory, to avoid hunters shooting one another. In bow season, most hunters wear 100% camouflage, head to toe; they may also use drag-scent on a rag attached at the heel of each boot, to mask human odors from deer or bear.
Naturally, wearing all-camo could be fatal in rifle season - the eejit who shoots at sound may kill U outright.

Once U get Ur game, big-game such as deer, elk, bear, etc, must be tagged & taken to the nearest game station; often they weigh the animal & record other data, such as taking a pre-molar from a bear to age the animal. All this data helps to shape hunting regs for the future.
Small game [squirrels, rabbits, birds...] are not as tightly regulated, but there are still take limits & seasons. Rabbits are not hunted in warm weather; tularemia is potentially fatal, & cannot be seen in the carcass.
Small game seasons are also set to avoid breeding seasons, so that babies are not orphaned.

Spring bear-hunting is anathema to me, & i wish they would outlaw it at the Federal level - not all states allow it, but cubs are often orphaned by spring hunting, in states that permit it. :(

Mass hunting regs:
General Hunting Regulations | eRegulations

Some states allow Sunday hunting, as they reason that most hunters work weekday jobs; others do not, on the theory that one day a week should be free of gunfire in the woods & fields, so non-hunters can enjoy them, too.

Target shooting is another issue - one of our near-neighbors would shoot on Sundays for hours on end, it drove me crazy, & one Sunday while hoeing in the veg-field, after 90-mins of steady shooting from the woods, i screamed... he stopped shooting for an entire hour. :D I hope to H*** i scared him so badly, he shat his pants. :p

So while hunting & fishing are open to many, it's not "all" - FELONS for one class, cannot have any firearm, ever.
And 12-YO kids cannot hunt big-game legally in most states [again, TX being the exception]. They can hunt for small game - after Hunter Safety certification, when they're with an adult, who is also licensed.
So it's not the free-for-all the other fella seemed to think - & i sure hope he lives nowhere near me, LOL, but given his mouth, he probly lives in Idaho, Montana, or Texas - home of the militias. :eye-roll:

Hope this clarifies,
- terry

One of the only THREE jaguars to be seen & documented in the USA, in the last few years, has been killed. :(
There were 7, for a while - then it became just 3.

El tigre' has been vanishing for a long time, north of the Rio Grande, but jaguars are - AND HAVE BEEN, for some time, now - a protected species. Spozedly this big cat, I-D'ed by the unique rosette pattern on his tanned skin, was killed by a "professional" hunter who was *trying* to kill a local cougar that had been taking calves from ranchers.

Sorry, but IMO, it's a p*ss-poor professional who fails to take the problem predator that he intended to remove, & yet succeeds in killing an extremely-endangered species, that looks nothing like the one he claimed he was out to kill. :mad:
Also, given that he forced himself to TAN THE HIDE of the animal that he [highly-illegally] killed, i don't think our Not-So-Great Hunter is particularly remorseful. Tanning is for trophies & bragging rights; we don't tan a skin to memorialize actions that we bitterly regret, do we? :confused: What an arsewipe.
Forget "we value the trust of our ranching partners..." -- That's cr*p.

Please arrest the barsteward, charge him, convict him, then have him pay to import & release 2 jaguar in the area where this one was killed; 1 M & 1 F, both healthy wild adults, to replace the healthy adult-M that he killed. I think that's very fair. :)
And then, after he serves jail-time, REVOKE his hunting license & privileges for his remaining lifetime. The man needs glasses urgently. He shouldn't so much as walk across a 2-lane street in a quiet village, without spectacles.

- terry

Dept of What the FARC?...

Tree & forest loss has soared into the stratosphere in Colombia, S Am, since the 2016 peace deal.
The World Resources Institute warns that newly-brave civvies are clearing large swaths of forest, for short-lived cattle pastures, & also minerals mining; freelance & organized criminals are into illegal logging, coca- & marijuana-farming, wildlife killing, & the capture of endangered species for live trade, or as body-parts / trophies.

Last year, in 2017, the sheer SPEED of forest loss was incredible: around the world, we lost 40 football-fields every minute, of every day & night, for the entire year - 365 1/4 days.
In toto, that would be a forest the size of Bangladesh - gone, in one year... 56,977 square-miles.

To put it in terms that might be more imaginable, the world lost the equal of 60% of the UK's entire area... in forest alone.

A rapidly-growing elk herd & confusing landscape of state, Federal, & private lands is causing serious tension west of the Mississippi --

https://mtstandard.com/lifestyles/r...cle_f090bded-4ac5-5199-95bc-7a3fb07c07dd.html

Montana is just one instance, but hunters from outside the area want to hunt - which is GOOD, as the elk herd needs to be reduced; the problems, however, are many.

Ranchers complain about livestock harassment & even killing, everybody complains about trash & litter, streams are polluted & stream-banks are damaged, fires are built in places where fire isn't allowed, & so on.
U can legally make a fire on Fed land - but not on state land, nor on private lands.
U can only camp on state lands for 2 nights; on Fed lands, U can camp much-longer.
That boundaries are unmarked means that folks who aren't local have no idea where what is legal, & inevitably break the law/s.

Across the USA, hunting is slipping as a recreation - but the people who hunt are often a long way from the species that they'd like to hunt. When most Americans outside of cities owned their own homes & some acreage, hunting in the U-S was overwhelmingly local; only wealthy big-game bwanas went long distances to hunt for "trophies" - most ppl just hunted for the pot, & most of 'em did it less than 10-miles from home.
Now, it's a very different prospect; hunters from Atlanta, Ga, Chicago, IL, NYC, Seattle, & San Francisco all TRAVEL to hunt... for elk in Colo, bear in NC, deer in NJ, & moose in New Hampshire.

- terry

With two pardons, Trump wins goodwill in the ranching world

DJT has pardoned a notorious father / son duo with a long history of law-breaking; past outrages include setting fires on tinder-dry Federal lands, illegal grazing on Federal & state lands [refusing to pay their cattle leases, & overstocking their allotted acreage], & terroristic threats to law officers who came to warn, arrest, or stop them, either before, after, or during their criminal acts.

They were convicted in 2012 of starting wildfires in 2001 on Federal lands - public lands, NOT their own ranches. They had also set fires in 2006 during a burn ban, but that was a separate case - the fires were STARTED on their own property in 2006, & of course, swiftly escaped the private land & burned public lands.
The 2012 conviction carried a mandatory minimum sentence of 5-years in jail.

Fellow ranchers portrayed the case as overzealous Feds & persecution of ranchers -- yet-another example of a paper-pushing Washington bureaucracy, ignorantly dictating legal policies on public lands, west of the Mississippi.
A heavily-armed group of ranchers, headed by a Nevada ranching clan, the Bundy family, took over the Malheur refuge for 41-days. The tense standoff ended in a siege by law-officers, a car chase, & a shooting - with one occupier killed.

Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge - Wikipedia

Over two dozen occupiers were arrested & charged; Federal prosecutors have yet to convict anyone. Ryan Bundy, tried & acquitted, launched an independent candidacy for governor of Nevada.

Trump’s pardon has outraged conservationists & public-access groups who support Federal protection of wild lands.

“I think [this pardon] enables & empowers people who do not respect the law, & do not respect public land - which belongs to all Americans", said Land Tawney, president & CEO of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, a sporting advocacy non-profit.
Former U.S. Atty. Amanda Marshall, whose office prosecuted the Hammonds, called the pardons "a slap in the face" to the 12 Oregon jurors who found them guilty as charged.

Last edited:

Trumpling's nominee for SCOTUS / The Supremes is a 53-YO who is already well-known as a strong foe of REGULATION in most forms: he's anti-environment in that he believes we should leave industry do as it pleases -- pollute, discard, trash our air, water, & soil, alter the climate, & directly or indirectly kill threatened or endangered species.

That old chestnut, "what's good for Ford is good for the USA!", springs to mind. :Meh

Brett Kavanaugh Will Mean Challenging Times For Environmental Laws

He also thinks that pollution which crosses state lines isn't under E.P.A. jurisdiction.
:confused: . :eek: o_O If the Federal Govt can't regulate interstate violations, who can?!

Canary-grass is *not* native to Oz - & it's toxic to imported domestic livestock [sheep, cattle, etc] as well as to native kangaroos.

The Sad Reason Kangaroos Are Acting Drunk

Sheep & cattle mostly recover from phalaris poisoning / canary-grass toxins, but 'roos seem to develop irreversible neural damage, & must be killed. :(
I'd suggest an eradication program for canary-grass - this year is even worse than "usual", as there are more acres invaded by canary grass than in most years.

flying foxes [fruit bats] are dying in the Aussie heat-wave, as their brains fry & they become 'incoherent' - their synapses shut down, & can't run such basic body functions as breathing, heart rate, normal movement, & so on.
Juveniles & esp'ly infants are hard-hit, but adults die, too - over 200 died in a single colony, in just 2-days' time.

Hundreds of 'Boiled' Bats Fall from Sky in Australian Heat Wave

Heat-waves in Oz are becoming more dangerous & more frequent, both:
2000 to 2010, 2 daily max-temp records were set, for every ONE min-temp record.
IOW, "heat records" were two to one, vs "cold records".
In 2017 alone, daily heat-records : daily cold records reached 5 MAX to 1 MIN.

What causes "acid rain"? - & how long has it been known?
Would U believe 1852?

Acid Rain: Causes, Effects and Solutions

What does acid rain do? // How can we minimize or reverse the damage?
How can we prevent acid rain? // Can we save the flora & fauna of high-country lakes?
How does it affect soil - chemistry, microbes, microfauna, even structure?

All good Qs.

QUOTE,
"Turns out CRISPR editing can also vandalize genomes

In a blow to the gene editing super-tool CRISPR, scientists have found that it causes big, dangerous-looking changes to DNA in mouse and human cells.
What happened:
A team at the Wellcome Sanger Center described how CRISPR can lead to big chunks of DNA getting deleted, reversed, or otherwise dislocated.
Is that bad? Yes. Writing in the journal Nature Biotechnology, the team says if CRISPR were used in a gene therapy to edit billions of cells, bad results - which could include cells turning cancerous - are 'likely'.
It's still in the toolbox:
Startups working on CRISPR cures dismissed the findings as irrelevant. Tom Barnes, a senior vice president at Intellia Therapeutics, told Genetic Engineering News that the new paper is 'a little bit alarmist'."

the full-text research paper in the journal Nature :

Repair of double-strand breaks induced by CRISPR–Cas9 leads to large deletions and complex rearrangements

"Let's grow marijuana... & kill endangered Humboldt martens!"... said no-one ever.
But the 2 - growing 'grass' & killing martens - are inextricably related, in Oregon & California.

Cannabis growth is killing one of the cutest (and fiercest) creatures in the US

- Mary Jane growers put down Coumadin / Warfarin to kill rodents.
- the poison enters the food-web.
- it kills not only rodents, but their predators:
owls, hawks, foxes, skunks, raccoons, weasels, martens, _____ .
It gets into streams, & kills fish & invertebrates - salmon are down to 5% of their historic popn.

QUOTE,
"In Humboldt Co, 70% of northern spotted owls & 40% of barred owls found dead or killed, tested positive for poison, in a recent study. The deaths of a number of fishers, rare, weasel-like forest-dwelling mammals related to martens, have been directly attributed to rat poison used by cannabis farmers.
While specific data on martens is lacking, 'they all shop at the same grocery store. And we have clear & stark evidence that the food web for the northern spotted owl is contaminated, & martens live in the same habitat', said Mourad Gabriel, co-director of Integral Ecology Research Center, & the lead author of the study.
Any protections approved by California would only apply within the borders of the state – it's far more difficult to obtain powerful Federal protections - & would not apply to the large Federally owned tracts in California.
In Oregon, there are other threats. It's legal there to trap martens commercially, with no limit on how many. Their silky, mink-like pelts sell for about $20 each on the fur market."

Last edited:

The Trump Admin Is Rebranding Trophy Hunting As Good For Animals

"Trophy hunting is GOOD for animals." - really?... How?! :confused:

Beginning Sept-1st, Wyoming & Idaho intend to allow trophy-hunts for grizzly bears who've left the boundaries of Yellowstone Park. // Grizzlies cannot survive restricted to INSIDE the park, all year-round; they must leave at various times for various reasons, to eat seasonal foods, hibernate in safe places, protect their young cubs from predatory male bears, & so on.

The Park is an artificial boundary that doesn't recognize the needs of native species, who need to use a larger landscape to get food, water, shelter, find mates, migrate seasonally vertically or horizontally, & more.

Are You Ready to Fight for Yellowstone’s Grizzlies?

Like the brutal hunts that allow amateurs & novices to enter a lottery, & the winners get to shoot bison who've exited the Park bounds, killing grizz outside the Park won't "help" an already-endangered species. It reduces the gene-pool, & in-breeding is just as fatal as wholesale genocide; it takes longer... but the end is the same: extinction.

Andrew Freedman 4 hours ago
Human "fingerprints" detected in planet's changing seasons
Adapted from an article by Santer et al. in Science, 20 July 2018; Map: Axios Visuals

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 6.38.32 PM.png

Human activities are altering Earth's seasons in a way that is creating a greater contrast between summer and winter in much of North America, Europe and Eurasia, a new study finds.

Why it's important:
The research, published Thursday in the journalScience, is the first to find a human 'fingerprint' on the seasonal cycle of temperatures, adding another global trend that is formally attributed to human emissions of greenhouse gases.
Other trends already pinned on human activities include an increasing amount of heat held in the world's oceans, the sharp decline in Arctic sea ice cover, and changes in the water cycle that are leading to heavier downpours as well as severe drought events.
Based on computer models and basic physics, scientists had an idea of how temperatures in the troposphere - the layer of air extending from near Earth's surface to about 35,000 feet and where most weather occurs - should be varying from one season to the next as the world warms overall. The new study put these model simulations - with and without increased greenhouse gas emissions - to the test against observations.

How they did it:
Researchers from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Remote Sensing Systems, MIT and other institutions combined 38 years of satellite observations of the troposphere and computer model data.

• They asked: How much do summer temperature changes differ from wintertime trends?
    • They then looked at the pattern of temperature changes and performed different tests using model simulations and statistics to determine if natural variability could explain their findings.
What they found:
The researchers found that human emissions of greenhouse gases have altered the seasonal cycle around the world, as measured in the troposphere, but with ramifications for conditions at the surface.

'There’s compelling evidence from this work that human activities are now changing the seasonal cycle of temperature and that’s something that we really care about because the difference between summer and winter affects a lot of our lives.'
- Benjamin Santer, study author, from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Specifically, summer is warming faster than winter in the northern and southern midlatitudes, leading to a greater contrast between the hottest and coldest times of year.

One exception to this is at the highest latitudes, where the difference is actually decreasing, which is related to the loss of Arctic sea ice in the far north, and ozone depletion above Antarctica.
Interestingly, the findings run counter to surface temperature trends in northern midlatitudes, which show that winters are warming faster than summers, which is a discrepancy that has yet to be fully explained.

The study found that it's extremely unlikely the trends detected are from natural climate variability. For annual mean mid-to-upper tropospheric temperatures, the odds are roughly '5 in 1 million' of getting the annual mean signal-to-noise ratios due solely to natural variability, the study states.
What they're saying:
Scientists who were not involved in the new study told Axios that its findings are both credible and consequential.
'It’s one thing to know that human intervention is causing the annual-average temperature in their location to change. It’s another, and even more sobering thing, to know that human intervention is also impacting the swing in their local temperature from summer to winter', said John Fyfe, a senior research scientist at the Canadian Center for Climate Modelling and Analysis, via email.

What's next:
According to Bill Randell, a scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, future studies will likely identify more trends from satellite data as the period of record lengthens. How the tropospheric changes are reflected at the surface 'will likely be a topic of follow-on research', he said."

Today, July 19, is the anniversary of one of the world's worst oil spills.

Oil tankers collide in Caribbean Sea - Jul 19, 1979 - HISTORY.com

2 massive supertankers collided off Tobago in the Caribbean; one vessel carried 1.5 million barrels, the other 2 million barrels. The Aegean's crew managed to control the ensuing fire, & most of her oil was pumped off into other vessels.
The Empress was towed out to sea, still burning out of control, & she leaked as she was towed - an oil slick 30-miles long & 2-miles wide, on the 1st day of the wreck.
She continued to burn despite all efforts, & continued to hemorrhage oil - on the 4th day, a 3rd explosion broke the ship's back, & she sank to the ocean floor, to leak oil from below for years afterward.

If we'd listened to Prez Carter & required double-hulls on tankers, this crash needn't have been so disastrous - but the petroleum industry laughed at Jimmy, & resisted all attempts to improve safety & decrease spills.

Oil companies' history of ducking safety improvements before big spills.

It was only decades later, after several notorious wrecks & massive spills, including the Exxon-Valdez in Alaska, that oil-tankers were finally forced by international shipping laws to use double-hulls as the standard.
In 1993, new-built ships had to be double-hulled, but a tanker has a lifespan of 30-years or more - many vessels continued to haul oil in steel bladders over the world's seas.

Single Hull Vs Double Hull Tankers

theoretically, all ships of 5K tons deadweight or more, are now double-hulled, & were built after 1982.

Tanker Safety

I still believe that human inertia is the most-powerful force in the universe - or at least, in our own small sector of the Milky Way galaxy. We don't do what we should until we are dragged into it, kicking, shrieking, & clawing.
- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back