The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Weird Jug Behaviour With Young Son

Katewatts

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 6 month old jug puppy called Harry who acts strangely around my young son who is 6. It is becoming almost impossible to walk the dog with my son as the dog barks the whole time at my son and tries to tug at his shoes and growl. It seems better if my son walks behind us but the dog keeps looking behind to see my son. If my son is on his scooter or bike and is in front of us the dog pulls and barks excessively. He barks constantly in the park when my son plays and is obviously annoying to others using the park! I thought it may be a protective behaviour but he tugs/bites his shoes and growls when he returns. I have tried ignoring him, telling him 'no', distracting him by walking away etc.The only thing that seems to help is when I pick him up but I don't want to get into the habit...especially when he is wet and muddy! I am also unable to go to my local shops with my children or others with the dog as if one of us leaves to go into a shop he barks non stop... He is great with other dogs, is not aggressive and does not run off when let off the lead, he comes back perfectly when called. My other child is older and he doesn't seem to have these issues with her. She has managed to train him to sit with a clicker so is easily trained. Any advice would be appreciated as he is a lovely dog just a bit strange! I had a very placid Staffy previously who never barked and was brilliant with my children and other dogs, we just hope Harry can follow in his footsteps!

IMAG0189.jpg

Oh gosh - this is the second Jug puppy owner we have had join in as many days with behaviour issues.

He is ever so ever so cute!

I would definitely seek the advice of a Dog Behaviour Trainer and I would do this asap to nip it in the bud!

It sounds like the relationship between your son and the dog is very different to that between your daughter and the dog

Does your son do any 'training' with the dog?

The dog probably sees your son as on a par with himself, but your daughter as one of the people in charge, like yourself. Carefully managing a few training sessions between the pair of them, discouraging any games which involve your son crawling around the floor in the dog's presence, and ensuring the dog has plenty of instruction rather than free reign to make his own choices should help

oh, and if you walk him on a retractable, bin it (or at least put it in your pocket until you get to the park). They are the biggest signal you can give to a dog that he's in charge.

He's more than likely nipping at your son on your son's return as a rebuke for leaving the pack

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back