The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Welks And Birmingham

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Where do i start? He refuses to let me stand him properly, so was advised do let him stand naturally for now. He trusts no tables, due to our first ringcrafts table being wobbly! Standing him on the floor is less than ideal as he backs off from the judge completely. He has shown under 7 judges and has only let 1 have a good close look at him without trying to jump, and when the judge says walk up and down Rebel sees that as a chance tojump up or at one show he wanted to pull me along the mat as a nice dashund was standing at the other end. Someone said he was doing it as he was too interested in me and always looking for praise constantly. I know that i cant put all the blame onto the poor boy, i am learning too which is probably making it more of a problem. At least Diamond is a natural and needs no ringcraft lessons whatsoever. I think Rebel will outgrow this as i know some people with dogs with Fullerton in them have experienced similar problems.

We'll be at WELKS and Birmingham - so hope to see you there! :thumbsup: :)

Good luck all you newbies - I'm not the one to give you any advice as I get really nervous :sweating: but believe me, whatever your dog does, most of the judges will have seen before, and most are really kind and patient. :thumbsup: :luck: :luck:

In the meantime, practice, practice, practice, - it's the only way! Lots of treats and encouragement at home does pay off in the ring, IMHO. :thumbsup:

Zephyr said:
We'll be at WELKS and Birmingham - so hope to see you there! :thumbsup:   :)
Good luck all you newbies - I'm not the one to give you any advice as I get really nervous :sweating:   but believe me, whatever your dog does, most of the judges will have seen before, and most are really kind and patient. :thumbsup:   :luck:   :luck:

In the meantime, practice, practice, practice,  - it's the only way!  Lots of treats and encouragement at home does pay off in the ring, IMHO. :thumbsup:

How is Zephyr doing?

Really well, thanks, Becky :thumbsup: :thumbsup: He is absolutely full of himself, his coat has nearly grown back and he is as fit as anything. :)

After a horrible start to the year, I'm really looking forward to taking him back in the ring. He was back at agility last night as well, and was on top form - he was SO pleased to be back doing all the things he loves. :wub: :huggles: Will be taking him along to Banbury to watch the lure coursing too at the weekend. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lolcoe said:
Where do i start? He refuses to let me stand him properly, so was advised do let him stand naturally for now. He trusts no tables, due to our first ringcrafts table being wobbly! Standing him on the floor is less than ideal as he backs off from the judge completely. He has shown under 7 judges and has only let 1 have a good close look at him without trying to jump, and when the judge says walk up and down Rebel sees that as a chance tojump up or at one show he wanted to pull me along the mat as a nice dashund was standing at the other end. Someone said he was doing it as he was too interested in me and always looking for praise constantly. I know that i cant put all the blame onto the poor boy, i am learning too which is probably making it more of a problem. At least Diamond is a natural and needs no ringcraft lessons whatsoever. I think Rebel will outgrow this as i know some people with dogs with Fullerton in them have experienced similar problems.

You poor thing - sounds like you really have your hands full. I've only been showing for a short time myself (very co-operative dogs, thankfully - even with them we mess it up sometimes). Have you thought about doing a bit of obedience classes with him - might make a change from ringcraft and sometimes coming at a problem from a different angle can help.

Lolcoe said:
He trusts no tables, due to our first ringcrafts table being wobbly!
Get a rock solid, heavy timber coffee table (low to the ground) and place it in your back yard on EVEN ground. Encourage him to step up on it - when he does treat him. Don't just put him up there and try to stack him - all you want to achieve is him stepping up onto the table. Do this for a while until he is confident. Then start lifting him up onto it and treating him when he achieves that. Then start start to stack him on there and treat accordingly. Then get another higher but still stable table and start with the lifting onto it and stacking him.

Do it all in baby steps and you should end up ridding him of his fear of the table.

lawleymoon said:
i need help cant get lola to stand  for anything .  have you got any advice?.

Can you describe in detail what you do and what she does and I might be able to help :thumbsup:

aslan said:
Lolcoe said:
He trusts no tables, due to our first ringcrafts table being wobbly!
Get a rock solid, heavy timber coffee table (low to the ground) and place it in your back yard on EVEN ground. Encourage him to step up on it - when he does treat him. Don't just put him up there and try to stack him - all you want to achieve is him stepping up onto the table. Do this for a while until he is confident. Then start lifting him up onto it and treating him when he achieves that. Then start start to stack him on there and treat accordingly. Then get another higher but still stable table and start with the lifting onto it and stacking him.

Do it all in baby steps and you should end up ridding him of his fear of the table.

He has no problem whatsoever with the table at home, in fact you say 'Rebel Up' and he will go on his own accord. Its tables at shows he has a fear of!

can you describe in detail what you do and what she does and i might be able to help :thumbsup:

right hear gos aslan :cheers: i make sure her front legs are stright first then i pull out her back legs one by one but i can feel her whole body moveing backwards so when i get back to the front legs they are out in front of her so i have to get a treat to make her LEAN foward without moveing her back legs

but it takes me a long time to do all this its like i am fighting with her so by the i have done all this the judge has been and gone and not seen her at her best

hear is a pic of her tell me have i got that right. :cheers: i hope this makes sence

Picture_580.jpg

We're going to Birmingham. Not expecting to do much, but Hubby's looking forward to a weekend away.

Wendy

Sorry if this has been asked already, but where is the Malvern showground? Have never been to this Champ show before and fancy a day out. Any rough directions anyone?

It is called the Three Counties Showground, Malvern. We go via the M42 and M5 to Worcester and then signs to Malvern.

Do you have AA autoroute as it is on there?

Hope to see you there, Nicola. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lydia said:
Millie said:
If you want to see Lyd at anytime............ just try eating CHIPS !! LOL  :lol:

I'm there on the Friday too ........... Collie day  :thumbsup:

Well,that is brilliant news.What is your bench no. and what ring will you be in ?

So I can come by at lunch time :- " ..............save packing a lunch for myself :eek: :) (w00t) :D :teehee:

Lyd

:- " Seems like I managed to avoid Lyd, and enjoyed my chips all to myself :lol: but I did get messages from fellow exhibitors that Lyd was hunting me down (w00t) :sweating: Narrow escape :sweating:

Luv yeah really Lyd :teehee: :huggles: How did you do ?

lawleymoon said:
:cheers: good luck debbie reed  i wish some one would show lola for me but i am going to have a go and do my best thats all i can do. were in minor puppy bitch see you there . :huggles:

what you need is a pro to handle 4 you then,

trust me you are getting worked up over nothing,

wait till you go BOB at crufts and you are in the group that gets you going a bit.

Come look for me Lawleymoon, i will be the one chilled out and mellow on knockout drops and Rebel will be hyper!!!! If you want you can have some :thumbsup: as its our first champ show as well :blink:

Rebel will be smelling of Lavender :x , as we are now onto trying Herbal infusions that go into their cages and is meant to make them more relaxed, we found these on the internet having tried almost every other suggestion. Im just worried that i will be dozy in the car on the way!!! Mind you im dozy anyway :blink:

I suppose being the first class i wont have time to get nervous :thumbsup:

:cheers: hi lolcoe i will come and find you i will follow the small of lavender

and we can be dozy together. :D

Hope to see you all tomorrow :luck: Good luck every one

Me and Alfie were at Malvern today and boy was it hot. The ground is still quite boggy but should have dried out enough to be just right by tomorrow.

Have a good everyone, and take your suntan lotion 8)

lawleymoon said:
can you describe in detail what you do and what she does and i might be able to help :thumbsup:

right hear gos aslan :cheers: i make sure her front legs are stright first then i pull out her back legs one by one but i can feel her whole body moveing backwards so when i get back to the front legs they are out in front of her so i have to get a treat to make her LEAN foward without moveing her back legs

but it takes me a long time to do all this its like i am fighting with her so by the i have done all this the judge has been and gone and not seen her at her best

hear is a pic of her tell me have i got that right. :cheers: i hope this makes sence

I am so sorry that I haven't got back to you in time before you went to this show. I have had many problems with my phone line lately and haven't been online much.

If you didn't get loads of advice from the other showies today then you might like to try placing her back legs first and then lifting her front gently into position. Some dogs prefer to be stacked in the reverse order to the norm.

She looks fine in the pic - she could be a little more over her front but she will learn to relax in time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back