The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Can Your Whippet Do?

whippetwise

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondering how many of you out there have well trained whippets. Do they know basic obedience ie sit, stay etc.

How many of you participate in agility/flyball?

I have not started working with Lucy yet as I want to wait till she is fully settled in and we have a strong bond, at the moment she is more bonded with my foster dog :- " I will be using the clicker. I attempted to train the sit by using a treat as a lure over her head which has been easy peasy with any foster dogs ive had but she was having none of it and walked off (w00t) so Ive decided to leave it for now. Is the sit position one that whippets have difficulty with. Would love to hear what your whippet can do and feel free to throw in any training tips you have :thumbsup:

I'm really crap at training my 2 however I have decided to take Molly to training classes and they start tomorrow - I am bricking it, I suspect I am really going to show myself up (w00t)

At the moment the extent of Mollys 'repetoire' is sit, wait/stay (but not for long), down (if she feels like it), kiss :wub: and pull mummy over in the mud (her favourite!). Molly is a bit independant and I fear one of those dogs who, if she doesn't feel like doing it, she aint gonna! She even turns her nose up at her favourite treats sometimes - now if I could use a cat as a lure that would get her attention :p

Lenny is totally different, easier to train but unfortunately still quite fear aggressive so his talents are mainly shown to his mummy and daddy only! I think he would be excellant at agility but at the moment he could not cope with all the other dogs running around and barking :(

I have a friend who has a whippet and a whippet x and they both compete in, and are very good in, flyball and agility - so it can be done :cheers: I'm just not very patient :b

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the whippet - I think they can do anything!!!!

Zinzin came 2nd out of 19 at her first obedience competition (all breeds) at the age of three! She did heelwork including right and left turns and fast and slow, sit, down, down-stay, and retrieve. Her heelwork was off-lead head-against-my-leg proper stuff too :thumbsup: We had just started work on the 'scent test' which she didn't find easy at all and was starting to get bored so we took a break from our club.

Then she was attacked by a dog and started going to pieces if we went to a show/club so her conformation-showing days and competition obedience had to stop :( It was such a shame but she's still very nervous in large groups of dogs now. She still remembers her training though at nearly 11yrs and we do 'heelwork' in the garden as her 'party-piece' :thumbsup: :p

But then one of my others (who shall remain nameless o:) ) is as thick as two short planks and has taken many years to learn 'sit' and 'come here'.... and then only barely performs them at a push :lol:

Iggies are a completely different kettle of fish :clown:

:) MOLLY MY SIX MONTH OLD WHIPPET, WILL COME WHEN CALLED , SIT , DOWN , STAY AND DO KISSES. MY HUSBAND AND I USE TREATS AND A WHISTLE.

I THINK ITS THE LOOK OF THE DRAW. SOME ARE CLEVER SOME ARE NOT SOME ARE EAGER TO PLEASE SOME ARE STRONG WILLED AS MY MOLLY IS.

START AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, WORK HARD TO KEEP THE INTEREST WITH TREATS , SQUEAKYS, ETC. BE CONSISTENT. LITTLE AND OFTEN IS MY MOTTO.

GOOD LUCK, LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON . WELCOME TO K9. :cheers: :cheers:

Hi, our dog blu is about 15 months old now and wev managed to make him into a circus dog :D he can do the basic sit, down, kisses and stay (when he wants to). just taught him to play dead and begg its such a pleasure to see what tricks you could come up with then let them do it, good luck with your training (i find that a handfull of cooked chicken does the trick). :luck:

I go to dog training classes with Dolly and Remmy. I did a course of Clicker Training with Dolly and find it works very well with both of them and I continue to use it at the classes. They seem to be more receptive with the clicker (and I use cheese as treats). :)

Dolly is due to take her KC Bronze Good Citizen Award in May - but I don't really think she is ready for it yet (a bit unreliable on her stays). She will sit, down, stay and do heelwork, but sometimes a bit hit and miss - she seems to get bored or distracted quite quickly. :- " Neither will do a down on the hard floor, so I take a blanket for that. :b

I think Remmy will eventually do better than Dolly as she really loves the treats so seems more motivated and enthusiastic, but she is still a bit nervous at the classes, although she is improving.

I did an 8 week agility course with Dolly last year which was great fun, but again she tended to get bored or if it was raining she wasn't keen. She was able to do the jumps, tunnel, tyre, table and quickly learned to weave. I hope to carry on again this year with both of them. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back