The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Exercise

paddysmum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
my lurcher puppy is now four months old, and is a big boy. he gets about 1/2 hour or so onlead and between 20 mins and an hour offlead running about with other dogs and mooching etc each day. hes a beautiful lad and i would love to have a dog i can really be proud of. if you met him he is stunning and i dont mind saying it. so what type and duration of exercise is best for getting a fit dog but not risking overdoing it ??

also, if i wanted to try any activities with him like coursing or showing, how and where would i start? :))

photos to follow if you like :thumbsup:

to be straight to the point..let him have his puppyhood. you wont get a fit pup no matter what you do at that age. hes still a baby. certainly do all the playing and running around etc but to use the line that you can see on my signature below.....

[SIZE=14pt] SLOWLY SLOWLY CATCHY MONKEY[/SIZE]

enjoy his puppyhood with him then in the 10 mts onwards period walk him and play-run him a little bit more. his bones and loints ligaments tendons and all those bits have to develop in their own time.

good luck with him :thumbsup:

beautoday033.jpg

beautoday032.jpg

beautoday034.jpg

:wub:

thankyou john but dont worry hes allll puppy and as i know NOTHING about racing i dont think theres much chance of me pushing him too hard! :p

hes just so lovely i want to allow him to be everything he can be.

He's quite stunning :wub: - you must be very proud of him :huggles:

Open invitation for you to come along to our fun runs anytime you like to meet others who have lurchers,whippets,greyhounds,affies,deerhounds,even american cockers who run.All ages of dogs and owners,no pressure just fun meeting like minded people while the dogs have the runs suitable for their individual needs etc.

We run at Stapeley water gardens,Nantwich and have people who come from the north and south of that area so watch for the posting of the next meet which will be after Easter.Look forward to meeting you and your lovely pup some time,all the best,Linda :thumbsup:

what a stunner! :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:

You need to be careful whilst they are puppies so that you do not do damage to the muscles etc and stop them growing properly.

I recently read an article in a crufts magazine that recommended a maximum of 5 minutes exercise per month of age twice a day. At four months old that would be a maximum of 20 minutes twice a day. I assume that this was on lead exercise.

Personally I think he is doing far too much under his current regime for his age. :cheers:

:wub: :wub:

hes luverly!! :wub:

just wanna snog his lil chops! :*

Hi, I have a lurcher puppy who is 19 weeeks old and all I do is 10 mins out in a big field with him & a Jack Russell twice a day and then he mooches about whenever we are outside (quite a lot). He is big at 24 inches and I'm very aware of not letting him do too much at this stage because he is so young and growing so fast.

Hope I'm doing the right thing???

stormydog said:
to be straight to the point..let him have his puppyhood. you wont get a fit pup no matter what you do at that age. hes still a baby. certainly do all the playing and running around etc  but to use the line that you can see on my signature below.....
[SIZE=14pt] SLOWLY SLOWLY CATCHY MONKEY[/SIZE]

enjoy his puppyhood with him then in the 10 mts onwards period walk him and play-run him a little bit more.  his bones and loints ligaments tendons and all those bits have to develop in their own time. 

good luck with him  :thumbsup:

Just enjoy and get to know your pup first,no need to hurry,give him plenty of time to grow.

GOOD LUCK WITH HIM. :luck: :thumbsup:

I posted a very similar question myself earlier! My puppy is about 4 months old and charges around the garden for most of the day with our other dog. He's had an hour walk at least three times this week, with some time off-lead and I think that's plenty for him. He enjoys our walks and will happily trot alongside our staffy. We're going to the vet tomorrow to get him weighed and pick up monthly flea and worming treatment so I will ask professional advice when we're there. I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back