The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

what is a n ped whippet ?

stark

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi there , could someone please tell me the rules for non ped whippets does the whippet have to be bred from another whippet ?

if so how far back must the line go ?

but if not doesent that make it a short haired longdog or lurcher not a whippet ? ???

Last edited by a moderator:
non peds go back a long way, bred from greyhound to terrier to make whippets , at first known as a snap dog bred for ratting ,also faster than peds ,a lott of different views on this subject were do ped whippets come from originally ??? all sight hounds originaly bred for hunting ???

A non ped whippet is a whippet that is not reg with the kennel club, but is faster then a pedigree whippet who is. They both race but non peds cant show in Crufts ect. I think they are just the same looking after reading about them on another forum. I have a little whippet x who looks like a small whippet in my eyes but she is only a pet, not a racing dog or show dog.

I always thought that the "pedigree" or KC reg whippet was developed for the show ring from whippets around at the end of the 19th century when the Victorians developed their craze for exhibitions. A lot of them came off the race tracks, I have read somewhere. Unfortunately they were probably the slower ones as the fast ones would have been to valuable to their owners. ;)

:D nice to see we are still talking about non peds :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back