The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Is Bad Sportsmanship?

I was at an open show last year just after Keano took his rec CC my dad warned me not to go under the judge as the judge doesnt like my dad. But i thought he is my dog and the judge shouldnt be judging me but my dog. Anyway there was a dog in my class that had already been seen and it had been placed last in its class. So after being on a high after Keano's :thumbsup: great win i thought there is only 3 dogs in this class and one of them has already been beaten and the other i cant see it getting a 1st. Well lets just say i was brought down to earth with a huge bump the dog that got beat in the other class was placed 1st and Keano 2nd :lol: :lol: . I had to laugh. This judge awards CC as well. I wish i'd stayed home doing the house work that weekend too :lol: :lol: .

But if you dont laugh you cry. The day i become a poor loser is the day i stop showing.

I've seen a lot of bad behaviour over the years from people trying to 'crowd' my young puppy to people snorting at the judge and walking away... but you just accept it all!

No matter my placing I try to congratulate the winner (if they deign to look at you seeing as being second (or worse) renders you invisible in many people's eyes!)( I don't like snotty winners who won't 'accept' congratulations gracefully.)

I leave the ring after giving my dog a pat or a cuddle.... and then every rosette and card other than a first goes discretely into the nearest bin (w00t) :lol: o:) ...well they just gather dust and who needs extra housework??? :sweating:

Last edited by a moderator:
zilloot said:
I've seen a lot of bad behaviour over the years from people trying to 'crowd' my young puppy to people snorting at the judge and walking away... but you just accept it all! 
No matter my placing I try to congratulate the winner (if they deign to look at you seeing as being second (or worse) renders you invisible in many people's eyes!)( I don't like snotty winners who won't 'accept' congratulations gracefully.)

I leave the ring after giving my dog a pat or a cuddle.... and then every rosette and card other than a first goes discretely into the nearest bin (w00t)   :lol:   o:) ...well they just gather dust and who needs extra housework??? :sweating:

Bad girl ........... I take mine home first and then throw them away! LOL! I used to keep them until I knew Millie, she made me throw them all away so now I do it before she sees them stacked up on the mantelpiece!!!!!!! Place rosettes I give back to the Society, BOB etc rosettes I keep

dessie said:
zilloot said:

I leave the ring after giving my dog a pat or a cuddle.... and then every rosette and card other than a first goes discretely into the nearest bin (w00t)   :lol:   o:) ...well they just gather dust and who needs extra housework??? :sweating:

Bad girl ........... I take mine home first and then throw them away! LOL! I used to keep them until I knew Millie, she made me throw them all away so now I do it before she sees them stacked up on the mantelpiece!!!!!!! Place rosettes I give back to the Society, BOB etc rosettes I keep

LOL Knew I'd get the blame ! :p :D

Ooooh - I find it very difficult to part with sashes or trophies - even when they are many years old and starting to fall apart. And Rosettes .... they are a rarity here so if we ever get one of those it gets a special place on the Sash rack.

Just think about having a show ONLY for bad sports?? (w00t)

Entries could but above average!!!!!!!!!! :b

You might lose your place for not swearing. :- "

CC's would go to the best dummy spit. :lol: :lol:

When we say "Best Bitch". We mean BEST BITCH :rant:

Ploblem...............where would we find someone to judge it? o:) o:)

I won two classes at Australian dobermann nationals with the same dog. at the first show I was only about 14 and the lady I beat, ran in front of me and stacked her dog in first place ... Needless to say it was the first class of the day and the judge (from the US) put her back in her place to loud applause from the onlookers!! (w00t)

Second time I won, I came out of the class to have an all breeds judge congratulate me with "Congratualations Elly, I can't stand your dog but congratulations anyway" That's the best backhanded compliment I've ever received!! :blink:

I've also managed to get "spiked" down the leg in the dobermann ring by someone trying to run up the backside of my dog while wearing golf shoes!! I still have the scars from that episode!!

Needless to say I find the whippet ring more friendly with verbal abuse leaving no scars!! As dad says ... if they're bitching, you're winning!! I love it!! :cheers:

to me dog showing is a hobby , i like it , my dogs like it and if we get placed , great if not theres always next time .

i am really sad and treasure every rosette i win :b and they all take pride of place on the wall in the dining room :D

i still have all my rosettes from showing my horses , dating back to 1978 when i was 8 yrs old , now thats sad :oops:

i think people should accept what the judge does on the day , after all there is sod all you can do about it , go and enjoy and whatever will be will be :)

I too am sad and I really treasure every rosette. I also have every rosette I have won with horses from when I was a kid. All my Pony Club ones :b I think my rosette thing is just a left over from being a kid - I love um :cheers:

K

Many many years ago a very well respected dog show judge told me that however I was feeling, whatever I thought of the judging quality of the classes before I went in the ring, that I, as the handler should give my dog every advantage. This ment being polite (to the point of creeping if needed LOL) to the judge, saying 'Sir', 'Madam', 'thankyou', and when asked to move the dog saying 'It will be my pleasure'. When placed ALWAYS congratulate those in front of you (even if they ran up your dog on the move round the ring and spoiled it's chances and you really feel like murdering them). To always make a point of shaking the judges hand when leaving the ring and saying 'thankyou for judging my dog/s today - it has been a pleasure to show under you'.

Now many of you will be laughing at what I've just written but please remember that many of our judges are over 60 years old and also believe in manners - I may not have the best dogs but I am very very polite and I hope a pleasure to have in a ring as far as the judge is concerned. When bad sportsmanship is displayed like I have witnessed all too frequently recently, you can bet the judge sees and hears just as much as the exhibitors do and that the dog-show world is very small - bad-mouthing judges, dogs, kennels and handlers will be noticed and eventually that polite handler with the 'average' dog will win a first or BOB and then 'every dog will have had it's day'.

I'm another sad person who saves all the rosettes :b - we've got bag fulls in the loft dating back to the early eighties when my childen had their first pony. I still keep everything the dogs and horses win (even clear round rosettes ) - I know it's silly but it seems like bad manners to throw them away :wacko: .Most go straight in a box, some that I'm really pleased to have won go on a pinboard in my study - and they're not only red ones :lol: :teehee: :lol:

Val

Oh my god ! I cant beleive that it is so bitchy.

I have shown horses for about 8 years or more and have got out of that ot get away from it all. I am showing my little girlies for fun, if they win they win. But if they dont we go and snuggle o0n the sofa and watch a film. :wub:

:b well if it comes to being a saddo about rosettes, I can beat you all!!! (w00t)

Southern Counties don't automatically give out rosettes, you have to buy them if you want them (bit of a cheek when you paid over £20 to enter IMHO :- " )

Monty got reserve in puppy and 5th in puppy stakes, and I DID pay the extra £8 to get the rosettes :wacko:

but, lamely, in my defence, it was the first time I'd been placed with a dog I was showing myself, and it was the first time my lovely Mr Monty Magic Moe Joe had been placed, and my youngest boy was with me, the first show he'd been to since 1999, so kinda thought I needed to mark the occasion :p :lol: :- " :b ;) :huggles: :cheers: :D

doris said:
:b well if it comes to being a saddo about rosettes, I can beat you all!!! (w00t)
Southern Counties don't automatically give out rosettes, you have to buy them if you want them (bit of a cheek when you paid over £20 to enter IMHO :- " )

Monty got reserve in puppy and 5th in puppy stakes, and I DID pay the extra £8 to get the rosettes :wacko:

but, lamely, in my defence, it was the first time I'd been placed with a dog I was showing myself, and it was the first time my lovely Mr Monty Magic Moe Joe had been placed, and my youngest boy was with me, the first show he'd been to since 1999, so kinda thought I needed to mark the occasion :p   :lol:   :- "  :b   ;)   :huggles:   :cheers:   :D

I have some ideas on this.

1. Have a stall & make rosetts on the day. Club logo etc. & charge less than the club. Also you wont even have to enter, just have one made for what ever class / event you "should" of won. o:)

2. Rent a rosette!!!!!!!! Comes complete with a photo. So instead of buying a rosette, you rent it. Have your photo taken with it & return same. :lol:

Also rent a judge. If you can not find the judge, rent one. Any well dressed stranger with a blank look on their face will do. :- " (this is so you can superimpose the judges face after) :teehee:

3. Print you own front page of a "Dog World" magizine. :)) This is where 1&2 above can be used to there best. :oops:

Well after 18 years of showing seen plenty of knobbling and had it done to myself in my younger less experienced years of showing...

However think the saddest thing happened yesterday at Windsor,

my friend won 3rd in veteran, placed her prize card on her bench

and some bar steward stole it! :angry: :rant:

She had a really crap day and this about topped it off..

She said they were obviously very sad and if they were that desperate why

didn't they steal a first prize card.

zilloot said:
and then every rosette and card other than a first goes discretely into the nearest bin (w00t)   :lol:   o:) ...well they just gather dust and who needs extra housework??? :sweating:
It's not unsporting to hand them back in to the secretary at the show (ie open shows). In fact if you're not keepign them it's actually appreciated as we get them on 'sale or return' and the ones we return we get refunded for. Same with the cards. Unless they are printed with the dates on they get put back into circulation.

Just a thought :cheers:

Me personally I save everything. I have A5 files for the cards. They all get laminated, and for those with critiques the critiques get laminated to the back of the cards - same with ads if we've done well and placed an ad. They then go into A5 pockets and then in the ring binders for safe keeping. The rosettes all get the dogs info and class/date written on the back and they used to be on corkboards, but they got too full, so they are now safely stored in airtight plastic boxes in storage with the years and the dog's name on the boxes. The really good ones stay up on the cork boards.

And Alison - you're not sad. If my girls place at a Ch show we buy a rosette.

Wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back