The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Is The Average Price

cazerbell

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
roughly for blue male pedigree whippet and what papers do you get

thanks carol

is it a puppy or an older dog, is he pet bred/racing or showing?

I believe the average price for a KC reg whippet pup is about £400.

now someone correct me if I'm wrong - but how is blue an exclusive colour? :unsure: I love blues myself, but have always thought that if you know what dogs to put together you don't have a problem getting the colours you want? not sure how to explain it but am thinking along the lines of the dilute gene?

there were blue brindles in Eskil's litter (girls unfortunately for me) and they were the same price as fawns and brindles. or is it that when whippet mum is giving birth the blue pups demand 50 quid extra or they ain't coming out? :teehee:

as for the papers you would get a 5 gen pedigree, ownership transfer papers, a vacination card (every pup needs this regardless pedigree or mutt) and normally you'd be provided with a 6 weeks free insurance.

Blue brindles are not blue. Not many people in the show world seem to like blues, Having bred and owned them since 1973 I think you could say I'm hooked.

Price: anywhere from £350 to £500, you get papers, ie KC registration documents, pedigree, 6 weeks free insurance, you should get a diet sheet, worming regime to date, any innoculations and certificates for them. A weeks supply of puppy food, not always but any responsible breeder will supply this along with feeding times.

Can't think of anything more, perhaps a contract asking you to return the puppy to the breeder, if you cannot keep him at any stage during his life. Follow up advice.

I love blues, especially with some white as well like my Grover :wub: but don't see why they should cost more than any other colour. 350-500 seems about right, though I got mine for less as I was taking two from the litter. The breeder really wanted me to have them both as Roscoe was very timid and she thought he would be better going with a litter mate so she made it more affordable for us as obviously we would have twice as many vaccinations/ insurance policies etc.

In their litter there were black/ white, white/ black, blue/white, brindle/white and brindle - they were all advertised at the same price (£400)and the dogs cost the same as the bitches.

Grover is one of the most stunning blue dogs I've seen :wub:

Agree with the info so far, and no reason to pay more for a blue. That said it's amazing how many people say to me "I wanted a blue but couldn't get one". If they are less poular in the show ring are there maybe fewer quality blues out there in which case supply and demand allows some breeders of blues to get away with charging more?

Annie

Agree with the info so far, and no reason to pay more for a blue. That said it's amazing how many people say to me "I wanted a blue but couldn't get one". If they are less poular in the show ring are there maybe fewer quality blues out there in which case supply and demand allows some breeders of blues to get away with charging more?
Annie
I think the only ones who get away with charging more are those who only do it for the money in the first place. even when you look at epupz seems there are quite a few litters with blue pups - so it might be that people are unwilling to travel?

I do wonder whether New Novelty of Nevedith will start to change judge's opinions about awarding blues

Django Peeps' Neela is exactly the same colouring, a girl version of Grover - she's beautiful :wub:

:ermm: You obviously have not seen my Claudia :D

IMG_6022s.jpg

lucky whippets - they even have a throw to match their colouring each :D

We had here just recently, once again, the big argument about how much is OK to charge for pups. As far as selling pups from the same litter for different prices; I have done that in past. When I had a dozen or more pups from my Great Dane I would often discount some. As white marks in Great Danes are considered undesirable, I would price pup with them slightly less, because I wanted them to go first so I can concentrate on those, which I would want in the ring. Also about 90% of people wanting Great Dane wanted a male, and I always had more girls, so little bit of discount often swayed the buyer to get a female rather than the boy.

Whippet litters are so much more manageable, and I do not find people prefer one sex over other, so i do not need to offer inducements. I do not charge any more more my blue pups, although I always get lot more interest in them than any other colour. Interestingly the black ones seem to be the least popular, not that i have difficulties placing them, but I do not think I ever had an order for black in particular; I have orders for blues, and for fawns, or "we do nor care what colour they are".

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about pups, but I can tell you that in rescue black dogs can be the hardest to rehome. Odd though that blues should be more popular than blacks as pups yet here at least blacks seem to be more popular in the show ring than blues.

i know when i bred my litter 7 years ago i could have sold the blues 20 times over but not 1 person wanted the black boy (my Oto) ...and they were all fools imo!! :D

somehow black is seen as common and blue is seen as rare and slightly mystical :huh:

there are abundant numbers of blue pups being advertised, unfortunately very very few of them are bred by reputable breeders who have bred with anything other than coat colour in mind,

they are then happy to perpetuate the "rare blue myth" by adding 20% to the price :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say that as much as I love both my whippets, I do refer to the black one, Roscoe as my 'heart breaker'. There is just something about him, his gentleness, independence, loyalty, affection etc that I find amazing. He is really one of a kind - I never thought I'd find a dog that could compete with my old Afghan from years ago but I have. It's all the more special because we nearly didn't have him - we only went to buy one pup but my son fell in love with the only little black dog pup in the litter so we got both. When we think that someone else could have had 'our Roscoe' it makes us upset! Of course we love Grover just as much - he's handsome, loopy, entertaining, cuddly - but he feels like he was always ours from the start. The fact that we could have missed out on our stunner of a black dog doesn't bear thinking about. He's a great ambassador for black whippets!

Oddly, in my pups' litter, the brindles were the last to go, perhaps because most of the dogs were wanted for racing/ working/ pets so the fact that they are more popular at shows didn't really come into it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back