The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What is your dog going to eat/had today?

Discussion in 'Dog Food and Diet' started by Finsky, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Finsky

Finsky Well-Known Member Registered

:D:D That was healthy 'Halloween themed' breakkie Lots of chopped up body parts...and minced up too! :D:D;)

Hemlock, JoanneF and excuseme like this.
  2. Richard & Patsy

Richard & Patsy Member Registered

While on the Halloween gore theme -
    This afternoon the cat brought Sitka a vole. He used to bring us voles, leaving them on the doorstep or in Patsy's handbag (hee hee) but was underappreciated; he gets a better reaction from Sitka. The cat doesn't eat much of the vole - he crushes the skull with his kill teeth then licks out the brain matter, Sitka gets the rest.

Finsky likes this.
  3. Finsky

What a true friend...sharing his treat. :D

4. Finsky

Well, Excuseme's Halloween din-din got me looking some internal organs on shop shelf and our girls are going to have some raw chicken & tripe mince...topped up with some cooked pig's liver for their dinner. As long as I don't offer liver more often than once a week, they are very keen to eat it and underneath the liver I can usually hide the less desirable things that are good for them. So that's today's plan sorted.

excuseme likes this.
  5. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

Jasper's the opposite - liver has to be well minced and hidden amongst other things, or he won't eat it (but will still guard it).

6. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

Some of our lot are not too keen on chunks of lung, minced is fine when mixed with other organs or meat. I think it is probably the spongy texture that they do not like.

7. Richard & Patsy

Richard & Patsy Member Registered

The only food that Sitka has ever refused is raw liver which seemed strange as his highest value training treat was dried liver. It could be the texture then, good to know as we have a mincer.

8. Finsky

I struggle to get mine to eat liver raw, hence I slightly cook it. Once the liver is heated and its texture firm up, then that is readily accepted and I think it has to do with the smell too. I rather like cooked liver smell and taste myself too...though only if somebody else cook it for me! I'm easily put off from my food if it wobbles to start with...unless it is jelly :rolleyes::D

Richard & Patsy likes this.
  9. Finsky

Morning biccies and toast again and now they are reminding me that they haven't got their chew yet....lots of nudging and head butting my legs is going on while I'm typing. I did offer last piece of liver for their breakkie but they only had sniff at it found it 'not acceptable' :rolleyes: I was expecting that response anyway but I had to try it as that last piece would go to waste anyway. They just won't have it for 'a seconds' :rolleyes:
    And this food talk is 'working' for me....I just remembered that I need to get some mince out of freezer for their dinner and....hmmmm.....I think it is a treat day today. While I have oven on, I'll might pop in a sausage or two and chop those to go with their mince. So that's that sorted for today....

10. RGC

RGC Active Member Registered

Many thanks for the heads up re chicken carcass. Popped into the local raw supplier this morning and yes, they’ve got loads plus wild boar tails - we’re overrun with them.

Finsky likes this.
  11. Jack-Russell-Lover

Jack-Russell-Lover Well-Known Member Registered

Oh that's a good idea, why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:
    Wow steak I bet he enjoyed that very much :) There are mean dog mums/dads that only feed kibble and treat with kibble. No treats at all :eek: so I don't think Timber is hard done by. I don't think Roxy has ever had a bit of steak haha.

Reading all of the comments about raw bits and bobs gives me interest in exploring these kinds of treats/meal toppers. The other day she did find on our walk some bones from a bird I think it was, looked like a piece of a ribcage and very sharp so I told her to drop it...she didn't and I had to reach into her mouth and scoop it out, hence why I found out it was sharp, I even thought I'd cut myself on it and had to check for blood.

JoanneF likes this.
  12. Laura@Charlie's

Laura@Charlie's New Member Registered

I love the idea for food inspiration for our dogs!
    Although reading through these food plans as a pet nutritionist makes me twitchy, as many of these plans are unbalanced. Unbalanced diets mean that nutrients are either not provided at the levels required, or in excess of their requirements. This can lead to deficiency or toxicity of particular nutrients.
    I am not looking to interfere, but there are resources like Raw Fed & Nerdy | Science Based Raw Feeding for Dogs and Cats which are great to use to create a balanced raw recipe. You can also use The home of tailored pet nutrition advice and services - Rewarding Pet Nutrition for affordable and flexible diet reviews and tailored raw recipes.
    I am a Pet Nutritionist for Charlie's Rewarding Pet Nutrition. I'm happy to help with diet balancing or with any questions.

13. Finsky

Today's dinner was...
    DSC_0726.JPG
    Underneath there is duck mince, topped with some cooked beef left overs and addition of few chicken wings. It is proper left overs day. :D Earlier on during they walk they already munched some greenery and had a carrot for a snack so their daily needs are met ;)
    ETA; nope....this dinner wasn't for their liking. Most of the chicken wing pieces were acceptable and only few of the beef pieces but more than half of the dinner is still untouched. I reckon because they had the same mince yesterday, it wasn't anymore tempting enough today.:rolleyes::mad: Back to the 'drawing board' tomorrow...'sigh'

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  14. Finsky

I'm sorry to hear you think people feed their dogs incorrectly. But saying this thread is only a week old and each of us have only posted few day's dinners, it hardly gives real picture what each of our dogs get to eat and what is their nutritional intake. After all...it is said nutritional recquiments are met over a few weeks, not days. ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    RGC, JoanneF and excuseme like this.
  15. Bishop

Bishop New Member Registered

You are lucky your pooch eats. Our rescue greyhound has days where nothing will tempt her to eat. I did worry when we first got her but as the vet says she is in good nick I have stopped worrying so much

16. Finsky

Oh ours too have periods that barely nothing goes down, but I put it mostly down to their 'hormonal workings'. :rolleyes: But as you said....as long as they are in otherwise in good condition, it does not do any harm in a short run. I have my 'temptation foods' that are almost always sure to go down, or at least enough to keep them going during those 'funny times'. But even then, it is hard not to worry....

17. RGC

RGC Active Member Registered

I keep a reasonable supply of Oralade to add to a simple, bland, easy to digest meal. Our whippet has just had a squitty episode and Oralade helps her hydration. However today I gave her boiled rice with microwaved chicken thigh (bone and skin removed) and added a few splashes of Oralade to give it some taste. Mind you, Mabel’s never refused food.

18. Ava Whippet

Ava Whippet New Member Registered

tempImagecwavba.png

JudyN likes this.
  19. Finsky

Oh...Oralade does smell tempting even for our human noses...though it is not cheap remedy for a long run. I never thought of using as a 'splasher' over food. Good thinking 'batman' !;)

20. Finsky