The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What to do when dog is aggressive to puppy?

Bensharp1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello

I was walking my puppy (4 months old) yesterday and we came across another dog walker. His dog came running up to my puppy, I let the lead loose so they can meet. They started sniffing eachother and playing, but his dog became aggressive and pinned down my puppy onto his back and my puppy was yelping. What should I do in this situation? From what I understand you shouldn't pick the puppy up? What I did was pushed the other dog off my puppy (The owner wasn't doing much) and used a treat to distract my puppy and have him follow me away from them. I'm not sure what the best thing to do in this situation is? My puppy seemed really upset afterwards and didn't want to walk anymore.

I think it's fine to pick up your pup if that's the quickest way to get him away from the other dog - but then turn away smartish, so the other dog can't jump up at you to get to pup. Then, once away from the other dog, it's fine to reassure your dog calmly - acknowledging that yes, it wasn't very nice, but all is OK now. Treats may help.

You could try to engage him in some calm sniffing, e.g. by scattering some treats in a verge, but if he just wants to head for home, let him.

FWIW, this sounds like it was bullying rather than full-on aggression when there's a very real risk of both dog and owner getting hurt. Unfortunately, some dogs are bullies (mine was, given half a chance) and get a kick out of intimidating other dogs, and it's surprising how many owners think it's fine to let the dogs 'sort themselves out'.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back