The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What to do?

Lawranced

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I understand that getting a puppy, especially a fox red lab, can be a big responsibility. However, after 6 months of having our 10-week-old fox red lab, we're finding it challenging. We've experienced typical puppy behavior such as chewing, biting, and teething. Taking him for walks has also been stressful as he pulls on the lead, eats everything, and jumps on other walkers. The garden looks like a minefield from all the digging, and he actively looks for things to do to get attention. He has many toys, but he will stop playing a game of tug to go and randomly start chewing the sofa or digging another hole in the garden. We walk him twice a day for about 45 minutes each time. We're unsure whether to invest in more training or find him a new home. Some people say that it gets better as they grow older, while others believe that this behavior will continue. We have 2 children aged 10 and 7 and they are not able to play with him as he's too big and nippy (sometimes it's an accident sometimes I'm not so sure)

We're torn about what to do next. perhaps we're just not 'dog' people.

Given his age, I would say that with committed training, it will definitely get easier. You say that he actively looks for things to do to get some attention - the answer here is to ensure that he gets attention when he is doing what you want, and life gets boring if he does what you don't want - e.g. by giving him a timeout in a room or playpen where he can't destroy anything of value.

You need to prevent him jumping on other walkers, either by keeping him on a lead or walking him in places he won't meet anyone, and then work on training polite greetings.

You might find some useful info for various situations in our Useful Links sections: Useful Links & Recommended Reading & Useful Links & Recommended Reading If you can find a good training class locally, that could really help too. Alternatively, a behaviourist who can observe what's going on and suggest tailored solutions could be invaluable - bear in mind that this is an unregulated industry and there are some really bad behaviourists out there. Avoid anyone who says you need to be more 'alpha' or leader of the pack, or who uses adersives such as pet correction sprays or rattle cans, or even just verbal reprimands.

Check out Kikopup's videos on YouTube too - they can be really helpful.

Sounds like a typical labrador to me and it has nothing to do with him being a Fox Red colour ...
Do you know if he came from working stock ...it makes such a difference with temperament...

Ah that makes sense ..dogs from working stock can be very different to dogs that have been bred from pet dogs ...can I ask what you feed him

He was on the AVA puppy sensitive or whatever its called, but we found that upset his stomach, seems anything that had a beak is bad news for him. he's now on Wainwright Lamb and rice with vegetables.

The food probably isn't contributing to his behaviour (some are like rocket fuel).

Did you find anything helpful in the reading lists? I also second the suggestion of a good class - if you have a Dogs Trust near you, they get a good reputation. But, not all classes are good, if you find one and you'd like us to look at their online credentials please do ask.

We have a good trainer just down the road however we struggle to continue what is taught during the training one we get home (part of the 'its not his fault')

I disagree about food it makes a
Lot of difference with behaviour especially in young working strain dog ..

We have a good trainer just down the road however we struggle to continue what is taught during the training one we get home (part of the 'its not his fault')

I'm not sure what you mean by 'it's not his fault'. Could you describe what you've been told to do for a particular issue and why this isn't working at home?

I disagree about food it makes a
Lot of difference with behaviour especially in young working strain dog ..
Oh, absolutely, you are right. Sorry, I put that badly; I just meant Wainwright's isn't usually one of the problem foods.

I think you have to change your mind sight that any pup has the capacity to annoy you on purpose by actively looking for something to chew to get your Attention...dogs do not think like this ..he is just a baby ...pups are really hard work especially labs and one that is from working strain ...the breeders I know would Never sell a working strain pup to a pet home it's not fair on you or your dog ...
You can get through this but it will take alot of training You not just your pup and if you are prepared for that the end result will be worth it But it's a huge commitment...have you thought of contacting a gun dog trainer...even if you dont want to work him they maybe the best result to give you advice on training methods ...
My neighbour has a Springer spaniel who is hard work at 6 months she has started him gun dog training even though he wont be used as a gun dog and she says it's the best trainer she has had ....
If you really think you cant cope with him then there is no shame in finding him a good home ....
Let us know how you get on ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back