The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What's Up With Zoe? Swollen Face On Dog

Whippets Rule

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

Having a spot of bother with my boxer bitch...

Yesterday morning her face swelled up and closed both her eyes,when it was at full swellage a lump was visible on top of her head.Gave her an antihistamine and it went down.

Last night same thing happened and a lump appeared by her other ear(face all swollen again)

First thing this morning one side of her face started to swell and a lump appeared by her eye.

This has continued on and off all morning with minor swelling and an odd lump appearing anywhere on her face and or ears.Nothing anywhere else on her body...have looked thru all her coat,flea combed her and as a precaution sprayed her with Frontline(even though she regularly has Frontline Combo Spot-on).

i've only seen her scratch once at a lump that appeared under her chin.

she is on her normal food etc,can't think of anything she could have contact with and am a bit worried something could be biting her...all my four other dogs are perfectly ok....but obviously she could be more sensitive to them.

This really is just confined to her face from the base of her ear flaps forward...ears are perfectly clean.

Please if anyone has heard of this before or has any ideas i'd love to hear about it.

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like she could have been bitten or stung... :(

Had she been near flowers or long grass??

Inca swells like that when she's being stung by a wasp or bee :eek:

If it carries on it might be worth a trip to the vet to get her checked out.

Sorry I can't think of anything else it could be.

Sending her :huggles: and :luck: with whatever it is.

hellybobs said:
It sounds like she could have been bitten or stung... :(
Had she been near flowers or long grass??

Inca swells like that when she's being stung by a wasp or bee  :eek:

If it carries on it might be worth a trip to the vet to get her checked out.

Sorry I can't think of anything else it could be.

Sending her :huggles:   and  :luck:   with whatever it is.

thanks hellybobs,it did cross my mind about being stung but its odd that the odd lumps still keep appearing and disappearing....she does tend to stuff her whole face into plants and things to sniff though.

She will be going to vets probably tomorrow evening if this continues..would have taken her yesterday morning but the first lump and swelling had gone down and i wasn't expecting anything else to appear so i left it doh!

Last edited by a moderator:
One of mine was exactly the same the other month ~ very worrying ~ she was given a dose of antihistamine & couple of days later it got worse, the hump just seemed to travel, she went off food etc... took her to the vet where it was suspected a sting so she was dosed up & all was well few days later...

Good luck with the vets tomorrow & please keep us updated with any news...

:luck: :huggles:

Thanks guys,i guess if the sting is still in her face somewhere that would explain the bumps still coming and going.

Will give her another piriton now to see if that helps again.

thanks again xx

funniest thing is she doesn't seem bothered, even when she could barely see she was still being a silly moo. :lol:

Hope she'll be ok Heidi...good luck at the vets. Give her a big :huggles: from me and the boys

Well little update here....

Zoe swelled enormously round her face this afternoon and loads of lumps came up all at once.

They went down again .....just now i had another look over her and she started jumping when i touched her ear flap.....i just pulled what looks like the back end of an insect complete with sting from her ear.........hopefully thats the problem sorted. :)

Whippets Rule said:
Zoe swelled enormously round her face this afternoon and loads of lumps came up all at once.

They went down again .....just now i had another look over her and she started jumping when i touched her ear flap.....i just pulled what looks like the back end of an insect complete with sting from her ear.........hopefully thats the problem sorted. :)

Ouch...big hugs for Zoe :huggles:

Whippets Rule said:

How odd..Hope she is OK now :thumbsup:

Ah that might explain it...might be best to keep an eye on her for a few days in case any of the bites get infected.

Sending her :huggles:

hellybobs said:
Ah that might explain it...might be best to keep an eye on her for a few days in case any of the bites get infected.

Sending her  :huggles:

Thanks

But.....all the lumps disappear and re appear elsewhere.....right now there isn't a single lump or even evidence that there were any....this has happened on and off all day.......hopefully now with what looked like the sting gone there won't be any more lumps.

Boxer dogs are a nightmare for allergies....our old dog used to get covered in lumps from a single mosquito bite.

Hope your solved the problem... :thumbsup:

Hope shes feeling better... :huggles:

The frontline will not stop fleas jumping on her. Frontline only kills them after they bite the dog. She may be allergic to insect bites such as mosquitos, try to spray with some insect repellent spray. But it can also be something she eats. I would probably keep her on antihystemine for few days and then see. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks,its definitely not fleas,the frontline was just a precaution...certainly she has been stung on her right ear and she is having tablets for three days as she is still swelling twice a day.

If you want to give homeopathy a try then Apis Mel is the thing for stings & bites.

Hebe stuck her head into a wasps nest last year & was stung a couple of times round her face & head. She was frantic for a couple of mins & I gave her the apis & sprayed the area with Aloe Vera & within half an hour she was fine.

Hope you sort your dogs problem out.

Ok the news is not very good this evening,we have been to the vet and it is likely Zoe has a mast cell tumour....she has had steroid injection and has lots of tablets and we have to go back to the vets on Friday for further investigation.

oh god love im sorry, ive got everything crossed for you both :huggles:

So very sorry to hear your news... luv & :huggles: sent to Zoe & you...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back