The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whats wrong with asfordby track?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i agree gaz,

the facilities at old hall were dyer and in the end the club wanted too much money for their own good :angry:

asfordby have really good facilities and the club couldent do enough to make everyone feel welcome. :D

one example of this; keeping the club open till 2:30am for us.

they are very nice people at asfordby i think, and not many places ive been to for a champs weekend have made as much of an effort as they did for us.

also its on a nice quiet plot of land, so unlike old hall & kirkaldy we wont get prats coming on with quad bikes ect, f**king up the track!

The facilities at Ashfordby are second to none but the track is absolutely AWFUL.

There is no comparison between OLD HALL & ASHFORDBYS tracks. I was at OLD HALL yesterday & the track is superb. From what i have heard there are no plans to alter Ashfordbys track in the near future, a little bit of water isnt going to improve it. Whats more important GOOD facilities & an INFERIOR track or BAD facilities & a SUPERB track. [Doesnt your dogs welfare come into at all] or are you just interested in staying in the club till 2 or 3 oclock in the morning.

[ BRING BACK OLD HALL , ALL IS FORGIVEN]

I PERSONALLY HAVE TO AGREE WITH JOHN NOBLE HERE NO NEED FOR ME TO ADD ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THE TRACK, WE LOVED CAMPING AT OLD HALL.

Last edited by a moderator:
opening hours at melton rule ok :D old hall track is one of the best and will allways be hard to beat as a running serface but facilities shocking ??? ;)

As far as camping at Asfordby goes it has a massive plus point that our dogs can bark and we can leave our generators running without annoying local residents but with two young kids I am more concerned about the 60mph speed limit that runs only a few feet from the camping area. Yes you could say that parents should know where their kids are at all times but anyone with kids will know that its not as simple as that. As for the track okay its not a bowling green but in my opinion its safe. If you are looking for good all round facilitys in my opinion you can look no further than Newton Aycliffe firstly the track is pretty good excellent food and shower facilitys and plenty of clean ports loos as well and good camping. As for the quad bikes yes that was rather unfortunate but in my opinion that could happen anywhere. I beleive that Kirkcaldy And District WRC are looking at ways to avoid this happening again but the amount of people that said to me that they wont be back I wonder if they should bother. And if whippet racing looses a Classic Event like the Scottish Derby in my opinion we all should worry. Yes I know that other events would take its place and people would not have to travel as far but after a while people would end up racing the same people every week and after a while those who looses every week would loose heart and give up I ask you how much fun would that be.

but wud u go to scotish derby if u lived in portsmouth and theres an open at fordingbridge with the same dogs as last week that u got beat off??????

Over the years including this one there have been plenty racers from the south who have came up to Scotland even when the Scottish Derby was held at Dingwall. My point is that if racers refuse to travel and support clubs who put a great effort in to putting these events on clubs will close leaving most of whippet racing on in the Midlands. So all the racers will have no choice but to race the same dogs week in and week out and eventually the ones who cant win will get boared with it and pack in. It used to be that when racers met up at the championships some dogs had only raced together a few times so you could not really tell who would win. They used to have qualifiers for the championships because if they did not there is no way any track could cope with the amount of racers who would have turned up. But there are so few of us left that qualifiers are no longer needed.

:D dont worry john alot of people will be going to scotland ourselves included, i think the track is fine and we always enjoy our stay up there. I also agree that newton aycliff has the best all round track and facilities, yes gary the opening hours at melton are good :D but the track i feel is poor. SONOFPORK, we travel up and down dale and support tracks alot of them in the northeast so for once stop knocking everything anybody says and show some maturity. We all have to support each others club and we will race at ashfordby but it does need sorting out, would that possibly be with our five pounds because nobody knows where that has gone, will all clubs with tracks to mend be receiving this funding every year? Why just ashfordby? The championships should be run on a rotation scheme all around the country so it would suit everyone.

i cant beleive so many are on a downer about the track at melton ,didnt someone say we should be greatfull for any trackwe get ??? its not perfect but theres a lott worse allthough i do agree with deb on the fiver levy,

Last edited by a moderator:
well said debs :D .

Every region or club should have the oppotunity to hold a major event if they wish. not everyone likes melton track or is willing to travel to melton.

Members should be allowed to have a say/vote where major events are held.......if its scotland or portsmouth and thats where the majority votes then thats where it should be.

It sounds like a good idea a rota of tracks for the Championships but in my opinion a vote will result in no change of venue. So how about instead of a rota a track that is central as possible would be a better option then people from Scotland would have no complaints likewise people from the south. In my opinion Newton Aycliffe fits the bill it's probably as central as it gets. But I for one don't expect any proposals like this at the A.G.M just the usual ones about kickboards.

Maybe if aycliffe council was approached properly then you may never know

i do know yvonne asked and they said no because it was to near the english derby..but i think it was the bar staff moaning about the extra work ..Alan Cortney has new stand in bar staff for next year ..i don't see a problem with using aycliffe ..but will have to just see

I don't see any reason why one of the straight champs can't be moved anyway - it seems a bit unfair on the dogs that don't run well on melton track to have to run both champs there.

if the dog is a true champ it will beat anydog on anytrack doesnt matter really it was just the same a few year ago with old hall?? whats the difference really??

On the whole I have no problems with Asfordby as a venue as it is pretty decent but should a more central venue not at least be considered that way the furthest north and south members would then have to travel roughly the same distance.

MARK HERE

CLUBS LIKE FORDINGBRIDGE COULD NOT HOLD THE CHAMPS BECAUSE OUR CLUB HOUSE IS NOT BIG ENOUGTH , THURROCK COULD BUT IT IS GETTING THE SPORTS FIELD FOR THE WHOLE WEEKEND, THE TRACKS IV BEEN TO ONLY

MELTON, OLD HALL ,AYRCLIFFE, AND THURROCK ARE.

MY CHOICE WOULD BE 1ST MELTON 2ND AYRCLIFFE 3RD THURROCK

4TH OLD HALL. WE ALL TAKE OUR FAMILIES SO THAY ARE MINI HOLIDAYS AS WELL, SO THE FACILITIES ARE INPORTANT TOO.

IT SEEMED MORE CAME TO WATCH THIS YEAR WHO'S DOGS DID NOT RUN

BECAUSE OF THE NICE FACILITIES AND NICE WELLCOME YOU GOT.

all this talk about champs getting moved around ,can someone run up a list of tracks who are able to do it with good facilities, it will be interesting ....

I still say Ashfordby track is rubbish. Its the worst my dogs have run on all season. It looks okay from the sidelines but once you walk up it you notice all the bare patches , divets, holes etc. Id rather have a good track rather than good facilities.

:D I WOULD BE VERY GLAD IF CHAMPS WAS RUN AT AYCLIFF YOU HAVE ALL YOU NEED FOR A GOOD WEEKEND, TRACK FACILITIES, GOOD FRIENDS WE ALWAYS GO UP TO THE ENGLISH DERBY AS WE ENJOY IT SO MUCH, AND AS JOHN SAID IT IS CENTRAL FOR THE SCOTS AND SOUTHERNERS.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back